Prop damage from AWOL spinner

Old July 14th 05, 03:30 AM
SteveR SteveR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Dallas, TX
Default Prop damage from AWOL spinner

Last weekend I lost my spinner through my prop. I had removed it the previous weekend because the screw kept coming loose. I was going to leave it off until I found the right solution. An A&P where I keep my plane saw me messing with it, and came over to help. He went and grabbed a bolt and a difference nut plate, and put the spinner on. He didn't torque the bolt down as tight as I would have because he "didn't want to crush the nose of the spinner". I questioned him on it, asked if we should put lock-tite on it, and he said "naw, that ain't comin' off". Last time I take advice from him.

Two flight hours later the spinner went through the prop. Although the damage to the prop wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, I'm still wondering if my $1,300 prop is now a wall-piece. I've already contacted the manufacturer (Prince Aircraft) and I'm waiting on their response. Let me know what you think. I did fly ~2.5hrs after this occurred (after checking it out on the ground).

Tell me what you think...repairable or not?

Pictures:
http://www.wotelectronics.com/prop/
Old July 14th 05, 07:01 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
[...]

Howdy Steve!

It's been my experience that if you ask a manufacturer, "Is this broken?", they'll see it as an opportunity to sell you another one. I don't know about airplane parts companies. Do most of them play straight with people? I guess I'm just overly suspicious.
Old July 14th 05, 11:46 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Richard Riley says...

:
:Tell me what you think...repairable or not?

Absolutely repairable.

I concur

Chuck S

Old July 14th 05, 02:52 PM
Sport Pilot

--
Fisherman

Lost a ittty bitty spinner, you know the ones that just cover the prop
bolts and little more. It hit the end of the prop as that was the only
nick I could find, then hit the wing tip, just a small scratch. The
local A&P was jumping up and down claiming I had to take the engine
apart to check for crankshaft damage from a prop strike. I just filed
the nick and put on a new spinner.

Old July 14th 05, 03:59 PM
Dave S

Sport Pilot wrote:
The
local A&P was jumping up and down claiming I had to take the engine
apart to check for crankshaft damage from a prop strike. I just filed
the nick and put on a new spinner.

Was this the same A&P who didnt do the job right in the first place? I
wonder if he would be willing to finance a 3rd party doing the teardown
and inspection, cause that is who I would send the bill to.

I may be mistaken, but I was told if the strike didnt result in engine
stoppage a teardown was not needed.

Dave

Old July 14th 05, 04:22 PM
Jan Carlsson

No problem to fix it.

The old AC 43 ?? tell you how to do it.

best
Jan Carlsson
JC Propeller Design
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Old July 15th 05, 01:26 AM
Charlie

Dave S wrote:

Sport Pilot wrote:
The

local A&P was jumping up and down claiming I had to take the engine
apart to check for crankshaft damage from a prop strike. I just filed
the nick and put on a new spinner.

Was this the same A&P who didnt do the job right in the first place? I
wonder if he would be willing to finance a 3rd party doing the teardown
and inspection, cause that is who I would send the bill to.

I may be mistaken, but I was told if the strike didnt result in engine
stoppage a teardown was not needed.

Dave

It kinda 'depends'.
There's an AD for Lycs that says you must inspect a gear in the
accessory case if you have a prop strike even if the strike is against
*grass*.

I suppose if you're smart enough to fly a homebuilt (or to wipe off the
grass stains) then the AD might not apply...

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
my ignorance LCT Paintball Home Built 25 April 9th 05 06:54 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop spinner for Piper Arrow dutch Aviation Marketplace 0 January 18th 04 02:02 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM