PPL/CPL test questions

Old December 30th 04, 04:49 PM
John D. Abrahms

Default PPL/CPL test questions

Hi all!

I've been reading here for a long time, but now I have a question for
myself that I want to ask.

I'm from Germany. Last year I have been in the US to begin working on
my PPL. My goal is to get PPL then CPL. I have flown a lot of hours
(over 70hrs), but since I had to return earlier than expected I
couldn't do the checkride any more (but I finished the written with
flying collors). This year I had no time to return, so I have to defer
that to next year. My plan is to finish PPL and after that go for CPL
directly (I'll have more than 100hrs at that time).

The written I took in the US of course is already expired (more than
12 month since I took it), so I have to redo it. I now found out that
there are places here in Germany where I can take the written exam for
US pilot certificates. So before leaving to the US again I can finish
my written here in Germany, and can concentrate on flying in the US.
I'm currently studying/refreshing CPL knowledge, and because I want to
go to CPL directly after the PPL checkride I wonder if I can take both
PPL and CPL written here in Germany before I leave. I know You must
have the PPL certificate before You can get the CPL, but what I want
to know is: can I do the written exam for CPL even when at that time I
don't have a PPL certificate? If I can, I could do both PPL and CPL
written exams here in Germany, and after that can concentrate on
flying and the PPL and later CPL checkride. Is that possible?

Regards

Joe
Old December 30th 04, 05:10 PM
kontiki

John D. Abrahms wrote:
.............what I want
to know is: can I do the written exam for CPL even when at that time I
don't have a PPL certificate? If I can, I could do both PPL and CPL
written exams here in Germany, and after that can concentrate on
flying and the PPL and later CPL checkride. Is that possible?

Technically I suppose you could. You'll need a CFI to sign off on the
application for the commercial written exam. The passing test results
are good for 2 years.

Old December 30th 04, 05:19 PM
Robert M. Gary

John D. Abrahms wrote:
Hi all!

I've been reading here for a long time, but now I have a question for
myself that I want to ask.

Yes, you can be signed off for both at the same time. The normal route
here in the U.S. though is private-instrument-commercial. It is
actually a bit odd (maybe 10% of pilot) to have a commercial w/o an
instrument in the U.S. I know the instrument may be of different value
in the E.U. though.

The private and commercial are 75% the same so you should be able to
get the CFI who does your private to sign off your commercial. If you
use King schools or the like, you can do it over the phone and they'll
fax you the auth for both (if you buy both courses).

-Robert, CFI

Old December 30th 04, 05:59 PM
Karl-Heinz Künzel

You could check

http://www.us-ppl.de/written.html

Sorry, but page is in German.

K.-H.

Old December 30th 04, 06:03 PM

Thanks to all of You for your answer. That sounds good...

Of course I also want to have CPL with instrument, but the most
important ones are PPL and CPL. So I suspect I could do all three
writtens (PPL, CPL, IFR) in advance and do flying later when I'm back
in the US. Sounds great, and leaves me plenty of time to be prepared
for the writtens.

Thanks again!

Joe

Old December 30th 04, 07:23 PM
Brian

One of the main reasons that the CPL without an instrument is rare is
because the CPL required 250 hrs total time. Most pilots get there PPL
in less than 100 hours so that leaves 150 hour of flying. You need 50
hour x-country for the IR Plus about 50 hours of Instrument training
to get the IR, so many pilots opt to work on the IR Rating to the build
time need to get the the CPL Rating.

and you still have 50 hours or more to just fly or prepare for the CPL
test.

You will learn a lot more during that 50 hours of instrument training
that you ever will just fly 50 hours to build time, and you will have
the IR when you done.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Old December 31st 04, 01:19 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Brian wrote:

One of the main reasons that the CPL without an instrument is rare is
because the CPL required 250 hrs total time.

THE reason why is that commercial pilots without an instrument rating are
limited in the type of flying they can do for pay.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.