Flags of Our Fathers

Old November 2nd 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Flags of Our Fathers

Saw the new Clint Eastwood-directed take on the famous flag-raising at
Iwo Jima with friends this evening, and enjoyed it immensely. The
battle scenes are pretty intense, and it's not the kind of movie you
see if you want a feel-good experience -- but it certainly made me
(once again) appreciate the sacrifices my father's generation made.

Necessary aviation content: There are some GREAT battle scenes with
Chance-Vought (or, I suppose, Goodyear) F4U Corsairs.

It's the only movie I've been to where the ENTIRE theater stayed to
watch the credits, all the way to the end, without a sound. It's
worth seeing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 2nd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Saw the new Clint Eastwood-directed take on the famous flag-raising at
Iwo Jima with friends this evening, and enjoyed it immensely.

Ditto. Quite a body of work "Dirty Harry" is building as a director. Can't
wait for part 2.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 2nd 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

Jay:

I didn't know they had movie theaters in Iowa City, let alone showing first
run movies. Did you have to travel to a big city like DSM to see it? (just
kidding)

If you and JB are coming to the MKE airshow this summer, you both are
welcome to stay in our hangar. Perhaps you could get a hotel on our side of
town, so we could cook out one evening.

Just a thought.

JN

Old November 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Have not yet seen the movie, but do yourself a favor and read the book also
(just finished it). I am most curious to see if the movie paints the event
itself (flag raising), the lives of the flag raisers (before and after), and
the battle in the same say as the book. Frankly, the picture that I used to
have of the flag raising (and the individuals raising it) is now markedly
different than before I read the book.

Anybody done both - movie and book?
oups.com...

Old November 2nd 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Was at my grandmother's not long ago and her sister mentioned at some point
that she had dated one of the guys that raised the flag before he enlisted.
(Can't remember his name offhand, but I intend to find out to see what
happened to him.)

She said they didn't really get too serious because she was a little younger
than he and they knew he was going to war, and but that they stayed in touch
for awhile during the war. Then, she said, "never heard anything more from
him." I didn't have the heart to potentially spoil the dinner by pointing
out the obvious; nor did I say any of the other thoughts that came to mind.
Just, "Wow. No matter what, he will always be a hero among Marines."

They're going to see the movie this weekend, however, (grandma's youngest
grandson is an active duty Marine) but I don't think she's going to like it
much. -c

Old November 2nd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I didn't know they had movie theaters in Iowa City, let alone showing first
run movies. Did you have to travel to a big city like DSM to see it? (just
kidding)

Best of all: You needn't be armed to attend a movie! They don't even
have metal detectors in the doorways here in Iowa City!

;-)

If you and JB are coming to the MKE airshow this summer, you both are
welcome to stay in our hangar. Perhaps you could get a hotel on our side of
town, so we could cook out one evening.

We'll plan on it -- thanks! Any idea what date(s) the MKE airshow is
going to be held on in 2007?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 2nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

She said they didn't really get too serious because she was a little younger
than he and they knew he was going to war, and but that they stayed in touch
for awhile during the war. Then, she said, "never heard anything more from
him." I didn't have the heart to potentially spoil the dinner by pointing
out the obvious; nor did I say any of the other thoughts that came to mind.
Just, "Wow. No matter what, he will always be a hero among Marines."

Half the guys in that picture were dead a week after it was taken. It
was a brutal battle.

I've got the book, and will be reading it soon. I've enjoyed other
books by James Brady, and a friend who attended the movie with us told
me that it's better than the movie (as always).
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 2nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

I believe that only Bradley and Hays lived long enough to be shipped home to
sell war bonds. I may be wrong.
Jim

Old November 3rd 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_9_]

Three of the six men of the second flag raising survived and were part
of the war bond tour. The third man was Renee Gagnon of Manchester, NH.

When I saw the film I had the same experience as Jay. I stayed and
watched every frame of the credits till the screen went black and when
I turned to go virtually the entire audience was still there. Not a
word was said even as we left the theater.

John Dupre'