FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for out ofcurrency power pilots

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28th 16, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for out ofcurrency power pilots

The FAA is sticking to its guns in holding that a rated power pilot who is out of currency in his power rating cannot solo in a glider when the transition pilot is not current (no current flight review) in his other rating. The most recent legal opinion is dated today, April 27, and addressed to Chris Bennett of the Southern California Soaring Academy, who requested the clarification. I have a copy of the legal opinion, but can't figure out how to attach it to this post. Send me an email if you want a copy.

The FAA realizes their ruling makes no logical sense, but they feel the ruling is compelled by the language of the FAR. They have suggested to the rule making branch of the FAA that the FAR be amended but that won't happen overnight.

In the meantime, I understand that there may be a work-a-round in the form of the FAA Wings program if the power pilot doesn't want to either get current or surrender his power rating and get a new student certificate. I'm not an expert on it, but I think that it is possible for a rated pilot to do an FAA Wings program in lieu of a flight review with an instructor. Worth checking out. I think I saw something from Cindy Brickner or someone else on the topic a few months ago when this issue first raised its ugly head.

Not sure what there is for SSA to do at this point other than to disseminate the info and advise all clubs, operators and instructors to follow the ruling. I'm sure SSA's volunteer liaisons with the FAA will encourage a prompt amendment to the FARs, but other than that I think we just have to suck it up and comply.

Best,

Phil Umphres,
SSA Treasurer