A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

50,000 Power Pilots

Old April 25th 15, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default 50,000 Power Pilots

50,000 power pilots read COPA FLIGHT, the journal of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association, every month. The May issue, which is being mailed at present, has a stunning colour photo of a Duo Discus from Glide Omarama on the first page, - above the fold, as a teaser to an article that starts on the first page of Section B about my recent pilgrimage to Omarama New Zealand.

I submitted this to COPA with the objective to induce these power pilots to rethink their prejudicial stereotype image of gliding. The strategy is to feature in the lead a real pilot's pilot, Marty, with a compelling hangar flying anecdote, who logged 2,000 hours in fighters and now owns a Turbine Legend (if you don't know what that is do Google it). Marty took a couple of conversion flights in a Twin Grob, (that's after his first glider flight when his F-104 Starfighter became a glider after the engine pooched), and then flew with Gavin himself for a four hour flight touring the Mt. Cook area; he proclaimed it the best flight of his life.

I hope some of these readers will be motivated to give gliding a try. At my club, we have one member who read a series of three articles on gliding in this publication, and was inspired to sell his Super Cub and get a glider rating.

This publication was very receptive to an article on gliding. I suggest that those of you in other countries try something like this as well.

You can see a copy of this article at:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview...y2015+LITE.pdf
Old April 25th 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Kudos! Here's the COPA cover photo for "Soaring with Hobbits"

https://www.facebook.com/yorksa/phot...e=1&permPage=1

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 7:56:22 AM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:

That link does not work for me. It takes me to the Dropbox login page and once I log in to my account, I land on my home page.

I suspect that it takes YOU to your dropbox home page where you have access to the .pdf. So it works for you, but not for me.

Maybe I got this wrong. I rarely use Dropbox.
Old April 25th 15, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

I've been posting Glider photos and articles to the AOPA facebook page, and people seem to like + appreciate it.
Old April 25th 15, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

Well, I wish I knew ho to fix that. The link to the cover on York Soaring's web page gives you an idea, but the first few pages of the 2nd section are filled with many more photos.

I have a PDF of the pages involved, but no idea of where to post the file. Perhaps this will work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91w1ibfq8i...0LITE.pdf?dl=0

If not, can anybody help??

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 7:56:22 AM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
50,000 power pilots read COPA FLIGHT, the journal of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association, every month. The May issue, which is being mailed at present, has a stunning colour photo of a Duo Discus from Glide Omarama on the first page, - above the fold, as a teaser to an article that starts on the first page of Section B about my recent pilgrimage to Omarama New Zealand.

I submitted this to COPA with the objective to induce these power pilots to rethink their prejudicial stereotype image of gliding. The strategy is to feature in the lead a real pilot's pilot, Marty, with a compelling hangar flying anecdote, who logged 2,000 hours in fighters and now owns a Turbine Legend (if you don't know what that is do Google it). Marty took a couple of conversion flights in a Twin Grob, (that's after his first glider flight when his F-104 Starfighter became a glider after the engine pooched), and then flew with Gavin himself for a four hour flight touring the Mt. Cook area; he proclaimed it the best flight of his life.

I hope some of these readers will be motivated to give gliding a try. At my club, we have one member who read a series of three articles on gliding in this publication, and was inspired to sell his Super Cub and get a glider rating.

This publication was very receptive to an article on gliding. I suggest that those of you in other countries try something like this as well.

You can see a copy of this article at:

Old April 25th 15, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]
external usenet poster

If the newer link I sent works, please feel free to post it to AOPA.

If not, I can send you the file to post, if that works.

Charlie Papa

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 10:13:11 AM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
I've been posting Glider photos and articles to the AOPA facebook page, and people seem to like + appreciate it.

Old April 25th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 8:20:28 AM UTC-6, Charlie Papa wrote:
If the newer link I sent works, please feel free to post it to AOPA.

If not, I can send you the file to post, if that works.

Charlie Papa

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 10:13:11 AM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:

Thanks CP,
Newer link works for me.

Frank Whiteley