Polished Aluminum Spinner..

Old June 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Polished Aluminum Spinner..

Well... it is stripped, sanded, polished..

Now, how do we keep it that way?

What do you guys use? How often?

Dave
Old June 11th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave" wrote:

Well... it is stripped, sanded, polished..

Now, how do we keep it that way?

Weekly labor.

What do you guys use? How often?

Paint. Once.

Now I never have to polish the g-d thing again.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 11th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What do you guys use? How often?

Paint. Once.

Now I never have to polish the g-d thing again.

How about a clearcoat paint, applied quickly after a polishing and cleaning?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 11th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Find out what alloy was used to make the spinner, different
alloys have different corrosion prevention needs.
If you want the bright aluminum polish, a good clear coat
may keep it bright. But paint doesn't like high polish
surfaces, it needs some tooth to bite into, a good paint job
inside and out, on properly etched and primed metal will do
wonders. You can even paint the spinner with a pattern that
looks better than bright metal.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old June 11th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote:

What do you guys use? How often?

Paint. Once.

Now I never have to polish the g-d thing again.

How about a clearcoat paint, applied quickly after a polishing and
cleaning?

It doesn't look nearly as nice as bare, polished aluminum. Powder coated
clear is supposed to look better, but I haven't seen it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 11th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave" wrote in message
Well... it is stripped, sanded, polished..

Now, how do we keep it that way?

What do you guys use? How often?

The other folks are probably right, painting is the easiest.

That said, I've been very happy with Flitz metal polish. I first found it
in the hardware store, but since then have run into sales booths at
airshows. It does work great.

As far as how often, well...I don't use it nearly often enough. I suppose
weekly would be optimal, but it really comes down to how much you care about
keeping the thing shiny. I have limited time with respect to flying these
days, so frequently the choice is between keeping the plane clean and flying
it. Guess what...the plane doesn't get cleaned very often.

Pete

Old June 11th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish when the spinners on the 310 start
looking like they need polishing. Then Mothers Carnuba wax on spinners and
the leading edges to make bug removal easier. In between I use AeroShell
Touch & Go to wipe the bugs off.

Mark
N28409
WC5I

Old June 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish

Us, too. We have a polished spinner and prop, and Mothers has turned out to
be the best compromise on price and results.

We probably polish the prop every other week, ditto the spinner. It only
takes a few minutes, and it looks SO much better than paint.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 12th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-06-11, Dave wrote:
Well... it is stripped, sanded, polished..

Now, how do we keep it that way?

Nuvite. It comes in several grades. We used it on our (half polished,
half painted) Cessna 140 and the polished surfaces looked like a mirror
afterwards.

Old June 14th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave" wrote in message
Well... it is stripped, sanded, polished..

Now, how do we keep it that way?

What do you guys use? How often?

Some of the more experienced pilots might advise otherwise, but...

A trick with RVers in the south is to spray the front surface of their RV
with a very thin coat of PAM so that they can just wipe off the bugs without
chipping the paint.

I don't know if it's an option for a spinner, but you get the idea, and
maybe a similar solution would work. (Wiping it down with an oilcloth
before a summer flight, for example.)

-c