Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

Old March 12th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:39 am, Dan wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:18 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

-- IGNORE BELOW -- Depends on the A/C, what were you flying?
In an F-4 doing a 3-4g bank is easy, but in
a trainer I'd suggest 2g max.
Ken
-- IGNORE ABOVE ---

Assuming you're not flying an F-4 in a sim, we'll move on to
reality....

This fear is (correctly) pounded into every aspiring/training pilot

--
don't cross control stall on turn to final!

A pilot is trained to do 2g coordinated turns,
even in twink flying, gee I wonder why.
It's a perfectly safe thing to do and IIRC was
a requirement for a pilot's license.

Are you just making this stuff up as you go along?

I figger he's reading the snot in his hanky like tea leaves.

The Practical Test Standard requires the
demonstration of a steep turn at 45 degree
bank and a safe or recommended airspeed.

That's as steep and high g as it gets and it's
not going to be 2g in my plane.

Oh but how about a paper F-104?

Bertie

Old March 12th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:39 am, Dan wrote:
[...]

Excellent. Does it come with a checkride with MX?
Old March 12th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
news
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:39 am, Dan wrote:
[...]

If you can take it to his apartment in paris. Of course, he could walk
to you for expenses.

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

skym wrote:
While making a turn to base and final recently, I was aware that I was
going to be wide with my normal turn from downwind through base to
final, so I banked more to keep as close to the runway centerline as
possible. I kept thinking about the infamous and usually fatal stall/
spin by some pilots in this situation, I kept thinking that if I keep
the ball centered, even with a very steep bank, that I would be ok and
not auger in. Some of you instructors and old pros...is this correct?
(Not that I intend to make it a practice.)

I hesitate to add to this discussion because
I'm not an instructor, just a rather slow
student who's not qualified to give advice
that might kill someone.

My instructor carefully pointed out the difference
between a stall on final as opposed to a snap
spin. A stall might be recoverable with no more
damage than a looseness of the bowels whereas
a spin could really fsk up your day.

The gist of his advice was that if you keep the
turn coordinated or even add a little extra
aileron, the up wing will have to come all the
way down through level before it will spin,
giving you time get the nose down and level the
wings before that spin can develop.

OTOH, a flat turn to final can quickly develop
into a spin before you can get it under control.

Old March 12th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
skym wrote:
[...]

Any stall in the pattern can be a serious problem. You need stall and
yaw rate to induce spin. Of all the possible scenarios to have if you
manage to be ham handed enough to get into a stall in the pattern, a
stall from a slip is the most anti-spin. Then comes a coordinated stall
with no yaw induced at the break, and finally the worst condition is a
stall from a skidding turn. No matter which scenario, angle of attack
MUST be lowered, and any yaw rate MUST be neutralized IMMEDIATELY!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 12th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Mar 12, 10:52 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:39 am, Dan wrote:
[...]

One instructor I had was really good, and he
certainly wasn't a sissy, he went beyond the
book, but within stated limits of the A/C in that
case a 152. Just twist to 60 degrees for a few
seconds, watch the ball, and twist back to level.

Doing a 45 is a MINIMUM govmonk standard,
as Jim point's out, well some instructors want
better than minimum skills, and as it turned
out the fella was gov qualified to license me,
which he did.
Ken
Old March 12th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

skym wrote:
[...]

You turn too tight base to finals and lose the plot with speed and co-
ordination, the airplane could spin. Unless it's an Ercoupe, of course.

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:39 am, Dan wrote:
[...]

No, he didn;'t. Nobody could possibly ever have licensed you with the
level of knowledge you display, wannabe boi.

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 12, 4:39 pm, (Ron Lee) wrote:

What happens to stall speed as your bank angle increases?

Increases (supposing that you're turning)

What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

1)Keep your airspeed up
2)ncrease power and keep your airspeed up
Old March 12th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
skym wrote:
[...]

You put it better than I could. Thanks.

Implications of.....keeping the speed up [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 48 January 14th 07 11:41 PM
Gamepad, stopping throttle axis from being auto-centered DenisK Simulators 1 December 20th 06 09:16 AM
Keeping a builders log Lou Home Built 24 January 28th 06 10:46 PM
Thanks for ideas on drilling a centered hole! Scott Home Built 12 October 25th 04 02:52 AM
Keeping Me Out of Your Warbird? Stephen Harding Military Aviation 47 February 12th 04 04:34 PM