Towing with a TDI

Old February 17th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing with a TDI

I know someone that towed his glider with his Honda CRX. Routinely at 80 MPH. Yes, the trailer weighed more than the car. And as I recall, the trailer did not have brakes.

- Done that with 05 Accord, 80 MPH with no trailer brakes, no problems of any kind ever with the car, trailer or the transmission. Other than the European sentiments, not sure why would anyone want put themselves through the turbo diesel in US. Modern diesel engines are overly complicated - high pressure fuel pumps, turbos, injectors, dfp filters, mass wheels etc. Please google Audi/VW diesel fuel pump issues and the uncontrolled bio-mass-diesel fuel purity, especially in the corn producing bio-fuel lobbing states like IL. Just recently, after several lawsuits, VW/Audi actually admitted that they will be honoring warranty coverage for the biomass clogged fuel pumps...
Old February 17th 15, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 9:23:42 PM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-8, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking
into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

I'm pretty sure the DSG transmission doesn't allow towing. I'm sure it
WILL tow, but with a hitch on the back you may have warranty issues. If
you're not under warranty, I wouldn't want to have to repair that
transmission.....I can't imagine how much that thing costs to repair.

I have a 2013 tdi wagon and love the car but have 5k left on the
powertrain and it's making me nervous, and I don't tow.

I'm pretty much limiting my search to manual transmission. This is going to
be dual use regular car with occasional Libelle towing duty (light trailer
with good surge brakes).

Still don't understand why one must use a full size truck to tow anything
;-)

Pete

'Cuz we can? If you have ever towed with a long wheelbase full size 'Murican Pickup Truck, you will never want to use anything else!

Well, of course, until you have to put gas in it.

Kirk
66
Old February 17th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Yep did 5000 miles with a friend in his 3/4 ton Chevy last fall. A little over half was pulling a monster cobra. Sure was glad he was buying the gas!
Old February 17th 15, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:25:20 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Very good.
I've looked at the GLK250 Bluetec. Great specs including economy, feels solid.
Jim

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 2:00:51 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:11:26 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Peter got my attention right away. I'll look at the VW TDI AWD wagon if it's ever released.
Looking for one vehicle with great fuel economy, AWD, tow capable and International standard trailer lighting capable. Unfortunately Audi USA is very slow at getting the 2.0TDI engine into their Allroad, which has been very popular in Europe. Believe the 2.0TDI is only in FWD A3s. Incidentally the A3 will tow single seaters well.
The VW Tiguan TDI is unavailable in USA.
So is the Subaru Forrester TDI.
And of course Audi Allroad TDI.
All are available and used for towing gliders elsewhere.

Sorry about the hurried earlier post, my flight was about to leave: The fiberglass top Cobras have been discussed many times before regarding the aerodynamic qualities of the fin.
But it seems mostly C/G that will make a trailer difficult to tow.
Jim

Mercedes GLK-250 BlueTec is available in the USA with 3500 lbs towing capacity and great mileage. It tows very well an 18 m trailer.

You will not get wrong with this SUV. I bought one in September and I love it. I will not say here what I get for mileage towing an ASH-26E in an 18 m trailer, no one will believe!
Old February 17th 15, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Hey Pete -

Forget the pickup - get a full size conversion van. Then you won't have to sleep in that tiny tent of yours
Old February 17th 15, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

MNLou wrote:
Hey Pete -

Forget the pickup - get a full size conversion van. Then you won't have
to sleep in that tiny tent of yours

Maybe Steve Leonard has a spare "Stalker Van" he could part with ;-)

Peter
Old February 18th 15, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:50:43 PM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:

Maybe Steve Leonard has a spare "Stalker Van" he could part with ;-)

Peter

Maybe he does. Do you want the optional "Smoke Screen" for easy get-a-way?

Steve Leonard

Old February 18th 15, 01:48 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLou View Post
Hey Pete -

Forget the pickup - get a full size conversion van. Then you won't have to sleep in that tiny tent of yours
You better believe it!!! Speaking from experience .....
Old February 18th 15, 01:52 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS View Post
You better believe it!!! Speaking from experience .....
Chevy's... G20's $4000 finds really nice ones...
Old February 18th 15, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 7:41:56 PM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:50:43 PM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:

Maybe Steve Leonard has a spare "Stalker Van" he could part with ;-)

Peter

Maybe he does. Do you want the optional "Smoke Screen" for easy get-a-way?

Steve Leonard

is the smoke screen really an option?

Towing with a VW [email protected] Soaring 15 December 7th 07 08:20 AM
Air to ground towing 2 - after some R&R Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 3 June 10th 07 08:22 PM
Towing to the airport drano Home Built 3 August 25th 06 06:17 PM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
FAA says towing ULV's is OK? ken ward Soaring 4 September 30th 04 03:12 AM