Avgas Where is the ceiling?

Old April 20th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Avgas Where is the ceiling?

100 LL just jumped from $3.82 to $4.54 at our airport, and at HAF we
traditionally represent the lower costs for our area (SF Bay) Where will it
end? to the pessimists in the room this feels like the begning of the end
for those of us who pinch our pennies to get a little air time in once or
twice a week. It doesn't seem that long ago that it was just above $2/Gal.

Flying less in CA

Old April 20th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

There is no limit really. Name something else you can put in a tank and
burn that is less expensive. Alchohol? Biodiesel? Electric? Right now,
all of those are more. There is a pretty good chance it will go back
down, SOME. But I doubt we will ever see it under $2 again.

Old April 20th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is no limit really. Name something else you can put in a tank and
burn that is less expensive. Alchohol? Biodiesel? Electric? Right now,
all of those are more. There is a pretty good chance it will go back
down, SOME. But I doubt we will ever see it under $2 again.

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

Old April 21st 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is no limit really. Name something else you can put in a tank and
burn that is less expensive. Alchohol? Biodiesel? Electric? Right now,
all of those are more. There is a pretty good chance it will go back
down, SOME. But I doubt we will ever see it under $2 again.

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

And in 1981 onward, IT DID!

Old April 22nd 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
There is no limit really. Name something else you can put in a tank and
burn that is less expensive. Alchohol? Biodiesel? Electric? Right now,
all of those are more. There is a pretty good chance it will go back
down, SOME. But I doubt we will ever see it under $2 again.

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

And in 1981 onward, IT DID!

Unfortunately, we currently have a president and congress who are about
as wimpy as they can get on domestic policy. Often, they're even
worse--acting much like the liberals they campaign against.

The United States likely has enough undiscovered oil to be the world's
largest oil producer by a wide margin (we are already the third-largest
exporter of crude oil), but we CHOOSE not to tap into that natural
resource. Or, rather, we let the environmentalist wackos and their junk
science make that choice for us.

There is a limit to price, and that limit is where demand starts to
fall. Right now, Americans may not be happy with $3-$4/gallon gas, but
they're willing to pay for it, so there's really no incentive for lower
prices. However, there is plenty of opportunity for politicians to
latch on to the issue of high energy prices to promote agendas that
would meddle with the market and create artificially high prices and
true hardships for Americans; such is already evident in today's high
prices. Consumers can control market price, but they can't control
government mandate.

JKG
Old April 21st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Juan Jimenez wrote:

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

Well, it'll only come down maybe 40c after the summer.

It's very different this time compared with the 70s. There's no
embargo, only peaked out production and much higher consumption from
U.S, China and India.

100LL will hit $5/gallon average sometime the next 3 years, guaranteed.

Old April 21st 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("M" wrote)
100LL will hit $5/gallon average sometime the next 3 years, guaranteed.

....next 3 months might be closer.

Montblack
Old April 21st 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

well, by average I meant day-in/day-out, dead in the winter time, gulf
states, whatever. 100LL will certainly reach $5/gallon this summer in
many locations, but it'll retreat back as the summer passes.

In 3 years however, $5/gallon 100LL will absolutely become the norm
everywhere. Autogas STC folks (like me) will be salivating the fact
that our autogas is *only* $4/gallon.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

100LL will hit $5/gallon average sometime the next 3 years, guaranteed.

...next 3 months might be closer.

It just hit $4.25 per gallon here in Iowa City.

That makes filling up the Mighty Grape (at $2.87 per gallon) with mogas
seem positively cheap. (Although it's now over $150 to fill even the
Grape!)

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:38:12 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
roups.com...
There is no limit really. Name something else you can put in a tank and
burn that is less expensive. Alchohol? Biodiesel? Electric? Right now,
all of those are more. There is a pretty good chance it will go back
down, SOME. But I doubt we will ever see it under $2 again.

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

This is a whole different set of conditions than what we saw in the
70's
..
Yes, the price will cycle through the seasons, but more than likely
the low is going to be at least $2.75 and more likely $3.00 with the
increasing demand. Remember that when inflation is taken into account
we are only paying a few % more than we were back in the early 70's.

*Only* and I emphasize "only", if we reduce the amount we use and keep
it there will prices come down. However it is in the best interests
of both the environmental and industrial groups to see the price go to
$3.50 and stay there. That is where alternative and environmentally
friendly fuels become economically competitive on a large, or nation
wide scale.

IF people would change their driving habits so they use 1/3 less fuel
we wouldn't even need to import the stuff to make gas for cars.
Currently, if I recall correctly, the overall MPG average is about
21. If the average were raised by 7 MPG we'd have reached that goal
and it could be done easily. IF people only used cars and trucks
(that includes pick-ups and SUVs) the size they *need* we'd be there.

*Most* people can cut their driving far more than they say they can.
They can car pool, and not make 5 trips a day into town for the kids
basket ball, base ball, hockey, soccer, dance, gymnastics and what
have you by planning.

BUT people are going to continue to drive monster trucks, SUVs and
Hummers because they want big and powerful even when they don't need
it. Unfortunately most of those driving the status symbols can afford
the higher prices. People are only going to cut back on their driving
where it is convenient. They aren't going to car pool, or set up
scheduling to get the kids to practice unless it is convenient, or
unless they are forced to do so by high prices or availability.

Back in the 70's we ended up with a very good start toward conserving
energy. Smaller cars (mostly imports to begin), car pooling, mass
transit were actually working, but then gas became plentiful and the
price went down and here we are.,

Taking inflation into account, the vast subsidies to industry and I
see gas prices cycling but with an ever increasing average.

I think Canada may be headed in the right direction with the Hemp
approach as it is far more energy efficient than producing alcohol
from corn. It costs considerably less to produce and makes about twice
as much alcohol. Sounds like a winner to me and currently most of my
farm is corn although I just rent it out.

What happens to gas prices if we have another hurricane season like
last year with the gulf and gulf coast getting badly beat up?
I'd bet that sooner or later they are going to have to move the
refineries that are now on the gulf coast to better locations. They
may have to move them just to keep them on the coast.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Avgas STC Mike Granby Owning 12 September 6th 05 07:18 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
Avgas Prices aluckyguess Piloting 14 May 6th 05 07:23 AM
service ceiling of F-22 zxcv Military Aviation 7 March 14th 04 10:31 PM
Class C Ceiling Mzsoar Soaring 1 August 18th 03 08:50 PM