Final Glide - Udo Rumpf

Old December 17th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Default Final Glide - Udo Rumpf

Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.
Old December 17th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Dec 17, 7:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

I have been dreading this report for many months. I never met Udo,
but we corresponded via email on a number of subjects, all dealing
with glider performance improvement of course.

God Speed Udo.
Old December 17th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Dec 17, 9:19*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:08*am, jsbrake wrote:

Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

I have been dreading this report for many months. *I never met Udo,
but we corresponded via email on a number of subjects, all dealing
with glider performance improvement of course.

God Speed Udo.

So sorry to hear this. Udo was a Guru and great source of knowledge
to those of us with Schreder sailplanes, always helpful with advice
from his extensive experiences modifiying and tuning up his own HP-18.

Kindest regards Udo.

Mike Carris
RS-15 "0"
Old December 17th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Dec 17, 9:11*am, Mike wrote:
[...]

Condolences to his family and friends. Udo was always a source of
inspiration for me. His knowledge, skill and gentle manner will be
missed.
Craig Funston
Old December 17th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Dec 17, 7:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

He was a good guy. What a sadness.

I never met him, just emails and talked to Udo on the phone. Udo
bought a MKIII and Quiet Vent a couple of years ago, then called to
discuss them and tell of an adjustable air deflector he came up with
so the additional incoming air didn't directly hit his shoulder. He
followed up, sending a diagram of his invention and freely giving the
idea to me. I asked why he would do that when he told me of his fight.
I didn't even know him and this makes me feel like crying.

bumper
Old December 17th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Dec 17, 9:46*am, bumper wrote:
[...]

I will think of Udo and say a prayer for him every time I use the one
man rig system he made for me.
A wonderful man that will be missed.
Godspeed
Dan
WO
Old December 17th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 17, 10:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

My favorite Udo memory is going to retrieve him out of Caesar Creek.
My partner and I arrived to find that
Udo had charmed the lady farmer to the point where he was sitting next
to his glider in a comfortable chair with a cool
drink and eating a sandwich she had provided. Just to keep the image
complete, we told him to continue with his lunch.
5 minutes later with no words spoken, his glider was in the trailer
and ready to travel(I used to own that '24 and both partner and I had
assembled it dozens of times).
Udo professed to being amazedand appreciative and bought us a very
pleasant dinner that night.
I'll long remember our rainy day talks about gliders and models.
Udo was a very nice man.
Good Finish ET
Sadly UH
Old December 17th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"bumper" wrote in message ...
On Dec 17, 7:08 am, jsbrake wrote:
A wonderful gentleman has left us.

He was a good guy. What a sadness.

I never met him, just emails and talked to Udo on the phone. Udo
bought a MKIII and Quiet Vent a couple of years ago, then called to
discuss them and tell of an adjustable air deflector he came up with
so the additional incoming air didn't directly hit his shoulder. He
followed up, sending a diagram of his invention and freely giving the
idea to me. I asked why he would do that when he told me of his fight.
I didn't even know him and this makes me feel like crying.

bumper

Like you, I never met Udo in person. I started communicating with him about 12 years ago, shortly after the Schreder Sailplane Designs website was created. His "Super HP-18" article was one of the first to appear on the site. There are 21 hints authored by Udo in the Construction Tips section of the site.

Udo had great intellect and was willing to freely share his knowledge.

I hope some one who knows him well will write biography articles for Soaring and Free-Flight. In the meanwhile I pass my condolences to his wife Linda and all who loved him and/or called him a friend.

Respectfully,

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder
Old December 17th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Dec 17, 7:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

Blue Skies to you Udo. I never met the man, but corresponded with him
via e-mail on some design ideas and such. I always enjoyed reading
about his homebuilding projects.

Brad
Old December 17th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

I was lucky enough to meet Udo when I purchased his first built SuperHP18.
Indeed a gentleman with a very fine intellect - I was always hoping he
would get around to producing his own 15m racer to take on the German
machines, which he told me about when I first met him.
I am sure Mike G (the 2nd owner of the Super HP18) would join me in
thanking Udo for the many enjoyable hours spent flying Udo's creation in
the Candian Rockies.
I am sure Udo will be kept busy 'reprofiling' a few of those angels
wings!!!!!