Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Old August 24th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

Word has it that the pool was put there to fight any fire that may happen. I guess the trucks around Groveland doesn't carry water!
Old August 24th 19, 03:45 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Youngblood View Post
On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
Bob Youngblood;998586 Wrote:
On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 2:06:50 PM UTC-4, Rich Owen wrote:-
Tom,

Sorry didn’t see the second part of your question. Mihai was on a
visa that expired after 5 years. He returned to Romania a few years ago
to settle some differences with the government. He also has several
businesses in Romania that needed his attention. He has been in the
process of getting an E2 visa which is an investor’s visa that will be
good for 5 years (I believe). Our office manager and one of the
directors of the company have been working on permanent resident status
for about a year. She was just approved to enter a one year waiting
period before being offered permanent residency. Immigration is a very
complicated process if you do it legally. Just ask any individual who
has gone thru the process. My next door neighbor is a naturalized US
citizen originally from Moscow. Her daughter, son-in-law and baby
daughter have been trying to immigrate to the US for over 7 years. She
and her husband were both educated in the US (post graduate degrees), he
works for Visa, and their child was born in the US. Adele (their child)
is a citizen of the US. However, they are still waiting for approval
for their immigration. Rev Aviation Soaring is a great venue to discuss
aviation subjects. Please don’t use it to discuss politics. Whatever
your stance, let’s just agree immigration is a complex topic that
would be better left out of this thread. Thanks to the many of you who
have flown with us. We are looking at doing another XC Camp in 2020 that
would be over a long weekend. For those of you that still work, it might
help getting some education while your family enjoys the local sights.

Sincerely,
Rich-

Rich, what a flattering portrayal of the Mihai situation! When I die
would you please write my obituary.

Bob,

Rich will soon be available to write resumes and Linkedin profiles at a
premium price but guaranteed to land you an executive position with a
Fortune 500 company. I needed a good chuckle this morning but I didn't
need to aspirate coffee up into my sinuses.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Walt, I do not have a dog in that fight, but I had to chuckle when Rich explained why Mahai left to take care of business with the government and to run all his Romanian companies.
Now we all make excuses at times and especially when we are covering for the boss. Regardless, Seminole Lake is a great place to soar, and the facilities are very good.
I agree and a fine soaring facility. Glad to see they are putting some money in the tow planes, that was badly needed. Rich is a good soldier and semantically gifted but that's a Naval Officer thing. Kinda like Ilhan Omar portraying 9-11 as "some people did something."
Old August 26th 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 9:10:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
2G
Who cares who is the current owner, unless you want to be the new owner....
Are you ?

Dan
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:21:47 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:05:25 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
Burt,

Thanks for the kind words about Seminole-Lake Gliderport. The owner is still trying to return to the US this upcoming year. He has the gliderport up for sale or an interested investor could buy a portion of it. There is zero debt and we have done extensive work on the Pawnees and the facilities. Two have recently overhauled engines with the third due in 2021 (a reserve for the overhaul is 100% funded now). Training is doing great but we want to acquire 2 new trainers. We were hoping to buy 2 new ASW-21B’s from Williams Soaring this year but it would have cut into our cash reserves too far. We are always looking for land to acquire adjacent to the gliderport for expansion opportunities. This is a business that was 50 years old last year. I don’t see us going away. Construction is about 30% complete for a turning lane into the gliderport and the turn to get on Highway 461 to Clermont. This will significantly improve the safety of our pilots and staff going to/from the field. Thanks goes to our elected representatives who recognized our concerns at this dangerous intersection. Hope to see you all at the Seniors March 13-20, 2020 for our 30th Anniversary edition.

2G

Rich Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying & Soaring

Hi Rich,

By "owner" are you referring to Mihai Tanjala? Perhaps you can enlighten us to WHY he hasn't been able to return to the US.

Tom

Because Tanjala stole the money he used to buy Seminole, and his victims will demand restitution from this international fugitive. I wouldn't touch this deal with a 10,000 mile pole.

Tom
Old August 26th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.
Old August 26th 19, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:55:23 AM UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.

Um, spraying water on a fuel fire would be...bad. But I'd guess you already know that.
Old August 26th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Ok,since ZO and 7T are trolling, what you folks doing on the Sailplane Gran Prix for 2020???? Best Tom. 711.thanks.

Old August 26th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:40:32 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:55:23 AM UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.

Um, spraying water on a fuel fire would be...bad. But I'd guess you already know that.

Yes, the fire fighters know that! They bring a nifty little device that injects something similar to liquid soap into the water they pump out of their pool to create a foam, which - hopefully - chokes off the O2 and extinguishes the fire.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 26th 19, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 2:48:33 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
[...]

Proteins are commonly used to produce the foam action in firefighting foams.. Chicken feathers are a common source protein for firefighting foams. On behalf of my friends in the poultry industry: "You're welcome."
Old August 27th 19, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 3:57:57 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
[...]

I have 12 years (1985-1998)of crash fire rescue experience at Will rogers World Airport. So,

protein foam as a firefighting agent was replaced in the 1970's with synthetic chemicals named Aqueous film forming foam, or AFFF. Further, protein foaming agent was corrosive, unstable, and supported microbial growth, and required a large mixing ratio to produce a relatively short lived inferior foam. AFFF on the other hand is stable, mostly chemically neutral, and in down to 1 to 3 percent mixtures result in copious long lasting suppresant foams.
however in the suppression of liquid fueled conflagrations, copious liquid water is still the optimal agent (mixed with AFFF)
As far as I know most fire departments across the country have equipped even small grass rigs with AFFF and equipment to mix it with a fire fighting hose stream. even just a couple of 5 gallon buckets of AFFF can give a firefighter thousands of gallons of premium suppressant agent. and a pre-connect fitted swimming pool is a great source of clean water.

'Course ya all just got a dump of information from me, mostly because I just want to be part of the conversation.
Next time you see a firefighter boot drive for Jerry's kids, give a little.

Good lift to all,
Scott
Old August 27th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 11:06:50 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
[...]

The truth is that Tanjala can't come back to the US because he faces extradition back to Romania for his many crimes.

Tom