Committee Vote on User Fees

Old May 17th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default Committee Vote on User Fees

I got this from AOPA tonight. The Nelson-Sununu amendment to kill the
$25 per flight for turbine-powered aircraft was killed 12-11.

All the usual suspects voted against it:

"We lost a close vote by a margin of 12 to 11 on the Nelson/Sununu
amendment that would have struck the $25 air traffic modernization
?surcharge" from the Senate FAA funding bill. By early evening last
night, the after-hours Senate office voicemails were filled to capacity
by many of the more than 135,000 AOPA members who heeded our call to
action. Late yesterday afternoon, I was actually waiting to see a senator
in his office and watching and listening while his administrative staff
was answering your calls.

Eleven members of the Commerce Committee deserve special recognition from
pilots for their tremendous work in supporting the fight against user
fees."

The Good Guys:

"First of all, Sens.
Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and John Sununu (R-N.H.) did
excellent work in stepping forward to sponsor the amendment.
Sens. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.),
Mark Pryor (D-Ark.),
Tom Carper (D-Del.),
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas),
Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine),
Gordon Smith (R-Ore.),
John Ensign (R-Nev.),
Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), and
David Vitter (R-La.)
all supported the amendment."

The Bad Guys:

"On the other side, there were 12 senators who supported user fees:
Sens. John D. Rockefeller (D-W.Va.),
Trent Lott (R-Miss.),
Ted Stevens
(R-Alaska),
Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii),
John F. Kerry (D-Mass.),
Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.),
Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.),
Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.),
Claire C. McCaskill (D-Mo.),
Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.),
John McCain (R-Ariz.), and
John Thune (R-S.D.)."

Remember them at election time!
Old May 17th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

We tried..
It is hard to believe that Sen Inouye supported this.. I thought he was for
General Aviation.
At least Sen Ensign paid attention.

BT

news

Old May 17th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 17 May 2007 03:30:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

The Bad Guys:
Ted Stevens (R-Alaska)

Good ole Ted... a consistent idiot isn't he? Of all the States, I can't
think of one that depends on GA more than Alaska.

--
Dallas
Old May 17th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-05-16 20:30:33 -0700, Orval Fairbairn said:

[...]

We will remember Senator Cantwell. Unfortunately, her position is so
entrenched that she can pretty much guarantee re-election no matter
what she does. She has absolutely no responsibility to her constituents
at all.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 17th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

C J Campbell wrote:
/snip/

We will remember Senator Cantwell. Unfortunately, her position is so
entrenched that she can pretty much guarantee re-election no matter what
she does. She has absolutely no responsibility to her constituents at all.

Just like Uncle Ted (Stevens) here in AK. The fact that he voted in
favor of user fees proves that he has no allegiance to *anyone* other
than whomever is willing to line his pockets with the greatest amount of
cash! Truly, a despicable human being!

Happy Flying (at least as long as you can afford it...)
Scott Skylane
Old May 17th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Remember them at election time!

What is it with government's insatiable appetite for our money.
None of those senators are mine so I won't have the pleasure
of voting them out of office. I do note that all of them are
career politicians having been in office multiple terms.
Its past time for them to be reintroduced to civilian life.
Old May 17th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:26:53 GMT, kontiki
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Remember them at election time!

What is it with government's insatiable appetite for our money.
None of those senators are mine so I won't have the pleasure
of voting them out of office. I do note that all of them are
career politicians having been in office multiple terms.
Its past time for them to be reintroduced to civilian life.

And if anyone thinks McCain or Kerry will get voted out next tiem
around they're deluded as well. Course, Kerry can just spend the
wife's money for the per-leg fee and it'd get lost in the noise.
What's another $50 for a cross-country in a G-IV compared to the
hourly cost anyway.
Old May 17th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"kontiki" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Remember them at election time!

What is it with government's insatiable appetite for our money.

User fees won't go to the government; they'll go to ATO.

Old May 17th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There is just so much that is wrong with this country anymore that I
am convinced that the only solution is to take all the Democrat and
Republican congressional reps and line them up against a wall and
shoot them. The independents don't have a track record to warrant
doing that to them.

Once the house and senate have been cleaned out, we can start over
with a clean slate...

Old May 17th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Scott Skylane wrote:

Just like Uncle Ted (Stevens) here in AK. The fact that he voted in
favor of user fees proves that he has no allegiance to *anyone* other
than whomever is willing to line his pockets with the greatest amount of
cash! Truly, a despicable human being!

That one took me by surprise. If there's any Senator that should be
opposed to user fees of any kind, it should be him. Then again, this is
the guy that thinks an email is an "internet", and the Internet is a "series
of tubes".

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

User Fees debate doylflier Piloting 2 February 20th 07 03:02 PM
Here come the user fees Steve Foley Piloting 20 February 16th 07 01:41 AM
GA User fees Jose Piloting 48 December 24th 05 03:12 AM
ATC User Fees Larry Dighera Piloting 80 May 12th 05 07:20 AM
User Fees Dude Owning 36 March 19th 05 06:57 PM