Have you ever...

Old April 11th 05, 12:25 PM
Grumman-581

wrote in message
I know, and *most* of those rides end up safely. Still, would you
suggest that practice--offering/accepting rides to/from a person they've
never seen before at the bus stop--to your son/daughter/spouse?

When Grace worked downtown and took the bus via the Park-and-Ride, she would
accept rides from such people... I guess this is not just from *anyone*
since these people tend to be what might be considered upwardly mobile
professionals... All in all, I don't think that many of the problem
individuals that you are so concerned about are driving Mercedes, Volvos,
Saabs, and such while wearing suits...

Old April 11th 05, 01:27 PM
Bob Fry

"Morgans" writes:

I hear of a guy around my
area who has not had a medical for 15 years.

Which simply shows that a medical (esp. a 3rd class for hobby flying)
is meaningless and should be eliminated.
Old April 11th 05, 02:47 PM

"Grumman-581" wrote:
All in all, I don't think that many of the problem
individuals that you are so concerned about are
driving Mercedes, Volvos, Saabs, and such while
wearing suits...

I agree...although I wouldn't want my daughter assuming some guy
offering her a ride was okay just because he was driving a nice car and
wearing a suit. Again, it's all about assumptions and whether or not
you're willing to put your life on the line based on appearances.
Expensive cars and suits don't necessarily make someone a competent
driver, or preclude them from being a defendant.

Aside from guessing that a person has a bigger checkbook or a generous
friend, I don't assume he's a better/safer pilot or more upstanding
person if a guy is flying a Bonanza than I do if he's flying a SuperCub.
I'd want to know a little more before agreeing to go fly with either.
JMO.
Old April 11th 05, 05:06 PM
Matt Barrow

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote

Yes, I will not fly with any private or non-professional commercial

pilot
except in the right seat unless they have demonstrated TO ME that they

are
competent. I may simply be paranoid.

So, how do you learn if they are competent, if you don't fly with them?

Their karma?

Old April 11th 05, 05:09 PM
Matt Barrow

When Grace worked downtown and took the bus via the Park-and-Ride, she

would
accept rides from such people... I guess this is not just from *anyone*
since these people tend to be what might be considered upwardly mobile
professionals... All in all, I don't think that many of the problem
individuals that you are so concerned about are driving Mercedes, Volvos,
Saabs, and such while wearing suits...

Um...remember Ted Bundy?

Old April 11th 05, 05:19 PM
Mike Rapoport

--
Jim in NC

As I said, I have to be in the right seat (with a full set of controls).

Mike
MU-2

Old April 11th 05, 09:00 PM

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Grumman-581" wrote:
When Grace worked downtown and took the bus via the Park-and-Ride,
she would
accept rides from such people... I guess this is not just from *anyone*
since these people tend to be what might be considered upwardly mobile
professionals... All in all, I don't think that many of the problem
individuals that you are so concerned about are driving Mercedes, Volvos,
Saabs, and such while wearing suits...

Um...remember Ted Bundy?

Yes, and I was thinking that during this discussion, too ... although he
may have been a well-dressed, "upwardly mobile professional", he drove a
VW bug. Still, he had a lot of people fooled by his "professional"
outward appearance.
Old April 11th 05, 10:15 PM
Ross Richardson

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Yes, I will not fly with any private or non-professional commercial pilot
except in the right seat unless they have demonstrated TO ME that they are
competent. I may simply be paranoid.

Mike
MU-2

So how do you determine if they are competent?

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 11th 05, 11:42 PM
Jeff Shirton

"Bob Fry" wrote in message

I hear of a guy around my
area who has not had a medical for 15 years.

Which simply shows that a medical (esp. a 3rd class
for hobby flying) is meaningless and should be eliminated.

I heard of a guy flying around who didn't even have a license.
I guess that "simply shows" that a pilot's license
"is meaningless and should be eliminated".

/Sarcasm/OFF

--
Jeff Shirton jshirton at cogeco dot
ca

Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below
and smite thee. - William Kershner
Challenge me (Theophilus) for a game of chess at Chessworld.net!

Old April 12th 05, 12:04 AM
Bob Fry

"Jeff Shirton" writes:

"Bob Fry" wrote in message

I hear of a guy around my
area who has not had a medical for 15 years.

Which simply shows that a medical (esp. a 3rd class
for hobby flying) is meaningless and should be eliminated.

I heard of a guy flying around who didn't even have a license.
I guess that "simply shows" that a pilot's license
"is meaningless and should be eliminated".

No, but it shows much of the training for a PP-ASEL is
meaningless...and can be reduced. Hence the Sport license.