Twin comanche, just looked at one

Old February 23rd 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
comanche driver

Default Twin comanche, just looked at one

just noticed you are in florida. I have the bugee replacement tool and the
gear load check adapter at my hanger at FMY if you need to borrow for an
inspection.

R. burns

"comanche driver" spamawayassh.ole wrote in message
. ..
just a couple of quick things to check first.

check the gear trunion pins- ad on thoses they crack.
check logs for dye inspection, repeditive, or replacement with webco
units, non repetitive.
check gear bungee arms they crack also, no ad but ad on bungees.
check main gear castings at the web, they crack there also.
check tension on the push-pull gear cables, need a adapter most twinco
owners will have one or were to get one, they are easy to make the drawing
is in the service manual. if they are dragging to much the need to be
replaced, they are available but not cheap to replace.
check fuel valves for leaks and screens for corrosion, also part of a AD.
check rear bulkhead for cracks and horizonal bearings for play. also AD

those are the biggest things right off the top of my head for the twinco

check the ad list there are a few repetitive AD's

R. burns PA30 N31952

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
There are many things to think about when buying an airplane but a couple
that concern airframes a
1: you can't make it younger
2: you can't make it straighter (reasonably)
Money can fix just about everything else, but no amount will never roll
back the TTAF meter.

As the fleet of GA airplanes gets older there are more and more airplanes
approaching 9000+ hours, so the question becomes with all things
considered, how much of an effect does the high time have on this
airplane's value? The TwinCo is not so rare a bird that there aren't or
won't be other comparative examples on the market with lower total
airframe times, even if they have slightly higher asking prices. If you
look around it's normally easy to find older twins advertised for no more
than the value of their engines, props, and radios but even in these
instances they often have much less than 9000 hours TT.

Jim

"E Andersen" wrote in message

On a twin of that age and advertised at that sale price, I would set
aside
NO LESS than an additional 50% for additional repair and maintenance
that
you may incur during your first year of ownership.

yeah, I am aware of that, I was more concerned about the airframe, 9000
hours sounds like a lot, I dont know

Old February 23rd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

"comanche driver" spamawayassh.ole wrote in message
. ..
just noticed you are in florida. I have the bugee replacement tool and the
gear load check adapter at my hanger at FMY if you need to borrow for an
inspection.

R. burns

Hi

that sounds really good. I am a bit vary about the comanche, looks like its
the same guy at "the local airfield" that have done service for a long time,
I think I'm gonna pass on this one and look at another instead, or maybe a
nice seneca.

Erik

Old February 25th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

Hi

the more I look into it, the more I keep returning to the comanche, it must
be the
fastest small twin and at the same time very economical, how can that go
wrong :-)

I might go and have a look at this one

http://www.schomeraircraftcenter.com/inventory5.htm

during the week, does anyone know this particular aircraft?

Erik

Old February 26th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 25-Feb-2007, "E Andersen" wrote:

[...]

Don't know anything about this particular but if an autopilot is part of
your consideration (seem to remember a previous reference) I would not
consider this aircraft. I owned a 64 model TC a number of years ago with
this autopilot and it is very old technology even at that time (about 15
years ago). It was in and out of the instrument shop several times trying
to keep the thing working, especially the altitude hold. The people at the
shop were an old family business that had been around since shortly after
WWII and they didn't have anything good to say about it. Several boxes, all
interconnected with RF cables (old style coax, with the hollow dialectric
for the center conductor). The plane was great, a real honest four person
plus baggage plane even with full fuel. Reasonable operating costs for a
twin. But the old autopilot was garbage. Good luck in your search.

Rick
Old February 26th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Before we found our 66 Aztec C model with it's STEC 60-2, we
considered a 65 C with an Altimatic II that was inoperable. I called
Autopilots Central and discussed this autopilot with Bob Ferguson. He
took plenty of time and explained the problems with the Altimatic II
and didn't simply brush me off. His recommendation was to totally
discount this autopilot, even it was fully functional. He said that
we'd be looking for a replacement just as soon as we had our first
problem with it.

I have a friend with an Altimatic III in his Aztec and he hasn't any
problems, plus it's still serviceable by most shops.

YMMV
Jim Burns

Old February 26th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

I wonder if the upgrade to an STEC would be relatively easy, if the servos
are already in place?

ups.com...

Old February 26th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim B

Bob Ferguson would know the best route for you to follow. His email and
contact info are at http://www.autopilotscentral.com/contact.htm
He's a straight shooter. You'll find his name, recommendations, and
accolades in the archives of many newsgroups.

Jim

twin comanche E Andersen Owning 10 February 23rd 07 10:57 PM
Twin Comanche vs. Mooney/other singles E Andersen Owning 18 December 17th 06 08:32 PM
aftermarket de-ice for Twin Comanche Dico Owning 1 February 5th 06 06:51 PM
Twin Comanche comparisons Dico Owning 6 January 30th 06 07:00 PM
AOPA Twin Comanche Rosspilot Piloting 79 December 8th 04 08:23 PM