First A380 delivery

Old October 17th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default First A380 delivery

"S Green" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Kingfish wrote in
news:1192456533.874457.213800 @i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I read about Singapore Airlines taking delivery (finally) of its
first A380. The article said the plane was configured with 471
seats, which I found odd seeing as the plane's 550-pax capacity has
been pitched by Airbus since day one (never mind the 800-pax max
density seating aka cattle truck) I realize every airline will
configure the plane to fit their own needs, but that sounds like a
big drop in seat count. Makes me wonder why they didn't just buy
more 747-400s.

Saw it just about an hour ago sitting on the northwest side of the
field. It's th efirst one I've seen in anyone's livery.
It's also the first time I've seen one in the dark. They were towing
another one still in Airbus livery along a taxiway. Lit up inside, it
looked weirdly science fictionish with it's two rows of pax windows.

I gotta say it's one dumpy looking airplane.

Bertie

But not when its in the air. Then it looks good.

Saw one as I was leaving, It's never going ot be a Constellation.
Best we can hope for is someone will marry it for it's money.

Bertie

Old October 17th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"S Green" wrote in
:

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 15, 2:44 pm, xyzzy wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:55 am, Kingfish wrote:

I read about Singapore Airlines taking delivery (finally) of its
first A380. The article said the plane was configured with 471
seats, which I found odd seeing as the plane's 550-pax capacity
has been pitched by Airbus since day one (never mind the 800-pax
max density seating aka cattle truck) I realize every airline will
configure the plane to fit their own needs, but that sounds like a
big drop in seat count. Makes me wonder why they didn't just buy
more 747-400s.

It's a bait and switch. They'll launch the bird with lots of room
and hype to match, then after it gets a reputation as comfortable
plane to fly, they'll quietly add seats until it's closer to th 550
number than 471.

*******s...

One of the biggest growth areas in Europe are flights to the US where
the configuration is all business class i.e. 100 seats in a 767 at
well under normal business class prices.

http://www.flysilverjet.com/?campaign=811

People are a bit fed up with cattle class. Sure it suits some but I
have no sympathy with a 6'6" 250lb guy whinging about there being no
room when he has only paid $200 for a transatlantic ticket.

I think they're using 75's actually.

Some very old ones at that!

Bertie

Old October 17th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

As someone who has sat on a two stop, 32 hour flight, I can tell you that
even a little more room makes a world of difference.

That is almost beyond my comprehension! What was the flight (and route)
that you flew that had 32 hrs, and 2 stops?
--
Jim in NC

NYC - Anchorage - Seoul, Korea - Auckland, NZ

Old October 17th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

NYC - Anchorage - Seoul, Korea - Auckland, NZ

Wow! -That- is *indeed* a flight!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 17th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Sleeman

On Oct 16, 2:55 am, Kingfish wrote:
I read about Singapore Airlines taking delivery (finally) of its first
A380. The article said the plane was configured with 471 seats, which
I found odd seeing as the plane's 550-pax capacity has been pitched by

Qantas is going with even less, just 450, but here is your answer -
mega luxury (with mega cost to be sure, but there are lots of very
very wealthy people travelling on the singapore airlines routes)

From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4239874a34.html

Luxury, at least for those travelling in their own first-class
sleeping cabins, will take to the skies when Singapore Airlines flies
the double-decker Airbus A380 into Sydney next week for the first
time.

The key to the cabins on the world's newest passenger plane, Singapore
Airlines boasts, is the separate seat and bed - replete with designer
quilt.

Singapore Airline also boasts that the sleeping suite can be
transformed into a stylish office, with its 57.5-centimetre platinum
screen and workstation.

Old October 17th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Saw one as I was leaving, It's never going ot be a Constellation.
Best we can hope for is someone will marry it for it's money.

The curved Dreamliner lines may give the Connie a short run for her
money. The Connie will still win... G

The A380 wasn't ugly when I saw it in low cruise, but it wasn't pretty
either, just BIG.
Old October 17th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

B A R R Y wrote in news:P5mRi.8664$6p6.2632
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Saw one as I was leaving, It's never going ot be a Constellation.
Best we can hope for is someone will marry it for it's money.

The curved Dreamliner lines may give the Connie a short run for her
money. The Connie will still win... G

The A380 wasn't ugly when I saw it in low cruise, but it wasn't pretty
either, just BIG.

Yeah, fromthe terminal, about a mile away form where they have them parked,
it doesn't look so big. Until you notice the dinky toy parked next to it is
a 340....

Bertie
Old October 17th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I gotta say it's one dumpy looking airplane.

Speaking of dumpy, I was flying over Evergreen's facility in Central AZ
last Saturday and spotted this behemoth called Dream Lifter.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...der/Dream1.jpg

Wonder how many seats you could get in that one.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old October 17th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
S Green

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message ne

I think they're using 75's actually.

Some very old ones at that!

Quoted from their website "we fly a small fleet of 767’s in a one class
configuration"

Old October 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Oct 17, 1:35 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:

Speaking of dumpy, I was flying over Evergreen's facility in Central AZ
last Saturday and spotted this behemoth called Dream Lifter.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...der/Dream1.jpg

Wonder how many seats you could get in that one.

Must... resist... making... Jenny... Craig... joke...

sailplane delivery fox victor Soaring 0 September 8th 05 01:58 AM
Sailplane Delivery WDM Soaring 0 August 24th 05 01:22 AM
Airbus A380 First Delivery Delayed again Ken General Aviation 11 May 6th 05 09:51 PM
Pop-up IFR from Clearance Delivery Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 43 March 28th 04 07:20 PM
European Delivery Steve B Soaring 2 September 16th 03 05:01 AM