Mounties Electrocute Airline Passenger

Old October 17th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Mounties Electrocute Airline Passenger

Larry Dighera wrote:
Is airline passenger abuse on the rise as a result of passenger
reaction to airline delays?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...r.html?ref=rss

Man dies after Taser shock by police at Vancouver airport
Last Updated: Sunday, October 14, 2007 | 5:04 PM ET

A man in his 40s died early Sunday morning after RCMP jolted him with
a Taser at the Vancouver International Airport, police said.

Had they physically overcame him without a tazer, and cuffed him, I am
betting dollars to donuts that this person would have died as a result
of the struggle.

People died being taken into custody for multiple reasons before tazers
came on the scene. Some, like hogtying, have been found to be harmful.
But the underlying cause is a suspect who for whatever reason, places
demands on his body that his body cant sustain, causing his heart to
fail. Wether its drugs, psychosis or stupidity, in a small group of
subjects the result is the same.

Tazers have actually been proven to REDUCE injury rates overall, both in
suspects AND in officers.. TREMENDOUSLY reduce them, and associated
workers comp claims.
Old October 17th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
Is airline passenger abuse on the rise as a result of passenger
reaction to airline delays?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...r.html?ref=rss

What passenger abuse? The man was out of control until the cops zapped him. He
must have had a weak heart... maybe helped along by some chemical recreational
aids.

You consider controlling a berserk person abuse? What should the cops have
tried first? Time out?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 17th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Larry Dighera wrote:
[ Quoting from news story: ]
Airport security called the Mounties for assistance after an
unidentified man began pounding on windows and throwing chairs and
computer equipment in the customs area shortly after arriving on an
international flight at 1:30 a.m., Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre
told CBC News.

Before too many more people pile onto the "he was just being a jerk"
bandwagon, I should point out that, based on the reported behavior, there
is possibility that the man may have been autistic.
Old October 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 17, 7:27 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
Normally I loath airprt security. But i hate asshole pax even more..
too good for him, I say!

They should do the same to people who talk in movie theatres.

Agree.

I hate the way these Taser stories are written, with all of their
unabashed phony horror and shock. What everyone forgets is that
before the Taser the police might have simply shot the guy, or (at
best) would have started swinging billy clubs -- risking injury to
themselves as well as to the perp.

The guy went berserk in a public place, and was a clear and present
danger to others. The Mounties did what they thought was best for the
public. The guy obviously had some pre-existing condition that caused
his ticker to quit. It happens.

A couple of summers ago I flew he Mooney up to Vancouver. While at the
park with the kids I saw a Canadian officer (mountie, not sure)
walking around with a rather large gun. I thought this was interesting
because I didn't know they carried guns. I got a little closer and
realized what it was. No joke, it was a water gun!! Apparently he was
using it to spray an annoying squirrel. I thought the sight was so
funny I went back to the rental car to get my camera. Seeing me
approach with the camera, the mountie seemed annoyed and walked off.
How great would that have been to have caught a Canadian law
enforcement officer walking around with a giant side arm that carried
water!

-Robert

Old October 17th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:01:34 -0500, Dave S
wrote in :

Tazers have actually been proven to REDUCE injury rates overall, both in
suspects

Can you cite any evidence that supports that assertion?

AND in officers.. TREMENDOUSLY reduce them,

I can see how that would be true.

and associated workers comp claims.

Well, that's what's important. :-(

Old October 17th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:13:37 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote:
Is airline passenger abuse on the rise as a result of passenger
reaction to airline delays?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...r.html?ref=rss

What passenger abuse? The man was out of control until the cops zapped him.

It sounds like the passenger was maniacal well after that. Have you
any idea how long a Taser is capable of sustained high-voltage output?
Is it controllable by the LEO? Until a dart is removed, I would think
the LEO could continue to apply high-voltage until the battery was
exhausted.

He must have had a weak heart... maybe helped along by some chemical recreational
aids.

Perhaps. I doubt the coroner will find the passenger to have expired
as a result of the Mounties arresting the passenger. It would be
interesting to know where the darts hit the passenger.

If it was across the chest, I can see how the Taser may have
precipitated a heart attack.

You consider controlling a berserk person abuse? What should the cops have
tried first? Time out?

Mace? Wrestle him to the floor? A net? Something with less lethal
potential than 100,000 volts?
Old October 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
S Green

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

International arrivals were rerouted but there were no delays in
flight schedules.

Cannot let the small matter of someone's death get in the way of business.

Old October 17th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:

Mace? Wrestle him to the floor? A net? Something with less lethal
potential than 100,000 volts?

50,000 Volts, 18 Watts and 133 MilliAmps

Old October 17th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

Mace? Wrestle him to the floor? A net? Something with less lethal
potential than 100,000 volts?

It's easy to make those kinds of suggestions when you're not the one doing
the wrestling.

It's also easy to avoid being shot with a tazer - don't resist arrest.
Probably works 99.99999999% of the time.

Disclaimer: This being the internet age and all (thanks Al) there is
probably the odd case someone could dig up where a perfectly innocent person
who was not resisting arrest was still shot with a tazer. I would suggest
that the chance of this happening is statistically far less than say, having
your engine fall out of your airplane.

BDS

Old October 17th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor[_2_]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

He
must have had a weak heart...

Yep, just like all those deaths during water boarding.
Weak heart. Nobody drowned.

Enough of a large portion of society has thes weak heart, perhaps the
tazer should be more exclusivly used. This person, while noisy and
attacking the furniture, was off in his own area and perhaps they could
have waited him out?

I thought he could have been is some kind of medical distress.
Well it will all be out soon.

Airline Lobby Group Says GA traffic Is The Main Cause Of Airline Delays Larry Dighera Piloting 0 July 7th 07 01:19 PM
747-400 passenger jet is no more J.F. Aviation Photos 0 March 17th 07 03:25 PM
8 passenger fuselage 400 lbs. WOW! Montblack Home Built 1 March 16th 06 10:26 PM
My first passenger Icebound Piloting 10 February 6th 06 04:00 PM
Virtual Airline sues Real Airline Joseph Brown Simulators 4 April 25th 04 09:10 PM