Pressure & temperature

Old October 24th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

Default Pressure & temperature

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
The local altimeter measures the weight of the air above it. When
temperature is higher, the air expands (less density), but it's the
same amount of air in a taller column. The atmosphere expands you see
and is not bound tightly by a blocade above (it is bound by gravity
actually). Anyway another item of interest is what you are setting the
altimeter to is "sealevel" barometric pressure. Imagine a hole in the
ground and the altimeter is lowered to the bottom of the hole (at your
airport). Of course they dont actually have a hole, they have another
way of adjusting it. Standard barometric pressure at sealevel is about
29.92. If you fly an airplane with a manifold pressure guage, it gives
the local "absolute" pressure (non-sealevel adjusted). Anyway consider
these principals and your knowledge will expand.

Standard pressure at sea level is 29.92 at 15 degrees C.

The weight of the air contrary to what you wrote above does vary hence high
and low pressure weather systems.

With low pressure air rises up the column diverges at the top and then
descends giving a high pressure somewhere else.

with a high pressure, the air converges high up, descends and then diverges
when it gets to the ground.

The principle of the altimeter is that it works on pressure, and pressure is
the force exerted by the air and one common force is weight.

When the air is less dense there are fewer molecules, the mass of air is
less and therefore the column of air weighs less, (mass x gravity) hence
the lower pressure.

when you understand these principles then you will understand a bit more
about altimetry, weather systems, high pressure, low pressure and winds all
of which are about the forces of air.

Old October 26th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

"Peter" wrote in message

"akjcbkJA" wrote

In Europe its the easiest way to fail an IR checkride by failing to
compensate for the ISA deviation in the winter and being deemed to have
busted the limits

Is this your personal experience?

I've never heard of anybody here (UK) using anything other than the
published minima, directly.

One would be landing with the airport QNH set, and altimeter error
caused by non-ISA temperature is negligible at more or less any
airport in Europe that has an instrument approach.

And at high altitute airports one would not be using the airport QNH.
They have some other system. An altimeter is a pretty inaccurate
device once well away from the ground.

Its in the JAR instrument test standards and features within the learning
objectives for the ATPL Met exam.

Work it out. The difference is small on approach and greater at high
altitude but the examiner would be looking to see whether you have taken
account of the fact that temperature does make a difference.

In JAR land some say they are anal, others would take the view that they do
it properly.

Old October 26th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

"Peter" wrote in message

"S Green" wrote

Its in the JAR instrument test standards and features within the learning
objectives for the ATPL Met exam.

Work it out. The difference is small on approach and greater at high
altitude but the examiner would be looking to see whether you have taken
account of the fact that temperature does make a difference.

In JAR land some say they are anal, others would take the view that they
do
it properly.

Is the pilot supposed to get the ATIS to get the surface temp and work
it out there and then?

What is the typical correction, for an airport at say 1000ft AMSL
which is ISA+10?

+40 feet. Being the height in thousands * 4 * ISA deviation

In this case 1 * 4 * +10

Temperatures - well you could get the temperature from the ATIS but you
also having sitting in front of you on the temperature gauge too. I am sure
the examiner will be looking at that and doing the mental calculations.

With a tolerance of +50 - 0 for at the decision height, it does not take
too much working out that you could blow the tolerances when its either much
warmer or much colder than ISA.

Say you are planning to fly the check ride a bit too close to the DH. On a
cold day, you would be below the DH.

On a very warm day, you could well above it and outside the tolerance
especially if you decided that you would aim to be about say 40 ft above the
DH. A 30 degree C day would have you actually higher than indicated at say
252 ft and busted.

When the temp is less than ISA the aircraft will be lower than indicated
height by 4ft /1000 for each degree c different.

So at ISA dev -15 C at 200 ft above touch down, the actual height will be
188.
ISA -25 C at 200 ft above touch down, the actual height will be 180.

Its not hard to find places in Europe in winter where the outside
temperature is ISA -25 C after all, thats only -10 C.

Hence why tables are produced to help pilots especially in cold climates to
make allowance.

Here is a helpful presentation - I have flow into all three of the field
used as examples http://williams.best.vwh.net/smxgigpdf/smxgig2000.pdf

Another one from Transport Canada and I suggest you scroll down to fig 9
where there is a correction table laid out. The numbers differ from mine
because they round up so my 12 ft, they round up to 20 ft.

Old October 27th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

The correction at 10,000 feet MSL is zilch when you include
the altimeter of the reporting station, it isn't the
altitude above sea level, it is the amount of altitude
between the aircraft and the field elevation, which will be
only 2,000, the errors below that altitude are corrected and
cancelled when they take the altimeter setting.

Old October 27th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

The 40 foot error is from a altitude of 10,000 feet if the
pressure was based on sea level readings.

An E6b manual true altitude procedure will show the method
that should be used. The true altitude calculation is based
on the difference between altitudes, not MSL altitude.

"Peter" wrote in message

| "S Green" wrote
|
| +40 feet. Being the height in thousands * 4 * ISA
deviation

| In this case 1 * 4 * +10
|
| I don't understand this. You are landing with the
*airport* QNH set on
| the altimeter. How can the altimeter reading be 40ft out
when it's

Old October 27th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan

On Oct 26, 5:07 pm, "S Green" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

"S Green" wrote

Its in the JAR instrument test standards and features within the learning
objectives for the ATPL Met exam.

Work it out. The difference is small on approach and greater at high
altitude but the examiner would be looking to see whether you have taken
account of the fact that temperature does make a difference.

In JAR land some say they are anal, others would take the view that they
do
it properly.

Is the pilot supposed to get the ATIS to get the surface temp and work
it out there and then?

What is the typical correction, for an airport at say 1000ft AMSL
which is ISA+10?

+40 feet. Being the height in thousands * 4 * ISA deviation

In this case 1 * 4 * +10

You are applying the calcualtion incorrectly. At a DH of 200ft, you
would be only (200/1000)*4*(+10) = 8ft in error, not 40ft.

The error of +40 ft would be correct only if you are at 1000 ABOVE the
airport, at which point the 40ft is insignificant.

At very large temperature shifts, (ISA-50) for example, the error
could become significant, which is why special procedures are
published for cold areas. For all other areas, you are really
splitting hairs.

If this is the only thing the examiner is worried about during a
checkride, I'd say candidate is doing a fine job.

Old October 27th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan

On Oct 27, 1:12 pm, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Oct 26, 5:07 pm, "S Green" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

.. .

"S Green" wrote

[...]

checkride, I'd say candidate is doing a fine job.- Hide quoted text -

Here is a table that lists altimeter errors due to nonstandard
temperatures:
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...7/aim0702.html

Old November 20th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

Maybe the FAA isn't so dumb. They are anal, I'd give you that.

It just could be that the worst case errors are already factored into
the
minimums to begin with; no adjustment required.

At 500' AGL, the errors aren't zero but they would be small.

Isn't that how you would do it? We like simple.

Bill H.

On Oct 26, 10:04 am, "S Green" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

it properly.- Hide quoted text -

H2O, O2, Nutrients, Temperature Stewart Kissel Soaring 0 January 27th 07 06:35 PM
OT? National Gas Temperature Map Dave Piloting 0 January 22nd 07 12:28 AM
Outside air temperature probe dlevy Owning 9 November 7th 06 06:14 PM
'Room Temperature' Anthony Home Built 11 August 23rd 04 07:36 PM
temperature sensor Philippe Vessaire Home Built 2 March 3rd 04 04:37 AM