Looking for a spreadsheet on seaplane design

Old October 1st 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Looking for a spreadsheet on seaplane design

Does anyone have the spreadsheet referenced in the December 2006 Sport
Aviation?

Thanks.
Old October 5th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 2, 7:27 am, brian whatcott wrote:

Can you look up the name, even better the location, of the person who
referred to this spreadsheet?

All I know about it is in that issue of SA. The author's name on the
article is Neal Willford. The spreadsheet is on the EAA website, and
I''m not a member.

Thanks.
Old October 5th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
On Oct 2, 7:27 am, brian whatcott wrote:

Can you look up the name, even better the location, of the person who
referred to this spreadsheet?

All I know about it is in that issue of SA. The author's name on the
article is Neal Willford. The spreadsheet is on the EAA website, and
I''m not a member.

Thanks.

It sorta sounds like you can get the basic spreadsheet and much, much more
for about 40 bucks.

I'm really not just saying that to be a wise guy, or just to push the
membership, and certainly not to get off on some tangent about copyrights.
What really makes it worth the money is that much more. The reason is that
the basic spreadsheet may be awesome, or not worth the paper that you print
it on and, thanks to my own advanced lack of basic knowledge, I couldn't
tell you if I remembered the darned thing.

However, if you even need to ask and you intend to design or even evaluate a
possible purchase, I predict that you will need the additional information
more than the spreadsheed.

Just as one simple example, the shape of the hull and/or floats is generally
asserted to be a major factor in the amount of power needed to get on the
step and airborn, and also in the partially conflicting issues of the water
conditions which might be acceptable...

Peter
(I have a couple of rules of thumb, but no personal experience)

Old October 5th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Just as one simple example, the shape of the hull and/or floats is
generally asserted to be a major factor in the amount of power needed to
get on the step and airborn, and also in the partially conflicting issues
of the water conditions which might be acceptable...

Peter
(I have a couple of rules of thumb, but no personal experience)

My basic rule of thumb is that I hit it with a hammer at least once a month.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but what the heck! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old October 6th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Just as one simple example, the shape of the hull and/or floats is
generally asserted to be a major factor in the amount of power needed to
get on the step and airborn, and also in the partially conflicting issues
of the water conditions which might be acceptable...

Peter
(I have a couple of rules of thumb, but no personal experience)

My basic rule of thumb is that I hit it with a hammer at least once a
month. g

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but what the heck! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

I dunno either, but I try really hard not to do that!

Peter

Old October 6th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
"Peter Dohm" wrote

Just as one simple example, the shape of the hull and/or floats is
generally asserted to be a major factor in the amount of power needed to
get on the step and airborn, and also in the partially conflicting issues
of the water conditions which might be acceptable...

Peter
(I have a couple of rules of thumb, but no personal experience)

My basic rule of thumb is that I hit it with a hammer at least once a
month. g

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but what the heck! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

I dunno either, but I try really hard not to do that!

Peter

Isn't ones thumb supposed to protect one from striking ones work with
ones hammer?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 6th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_2_]

wrote in message
On Oct 2, 7:27 am, brian whatcott wrote:

Can you look up the name, even better the location, of the person who
referred to this spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet is on the EAA website, and
I''m not a member.

Take the opportunity to join. EAA is a great organization. The monthly
magazine alone is well worth the price.

Vaughn