Headlights

Old August 21st 05, 09:09 PM
Lou

Default Headlights

I'm in the middle of assembling my wings on a wooden airplane, any
reason I can't use hologen car headlights in the leading edge?
Lou

Old August 21st 05, 11:44 PM
RST Engineering

Halogens run hotter than standard incandescents. You may want to test to
see how hot they really get (after you forget to turn them off for half an
hour after departure). That's what I would concern myself with a wood
structure.

Jim

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
No reason I can think of, go for it.

in article , Lou at

Old August 22nd 05, 01:25 AM
Lou

This was also my concern, I was hoping someone has allready done this.
Thanks
lou

Old August 22nd 05, 01:50 AM
Ernest Christley

Lou wrote:
I'm in the middle of assembling my wings on a wooden airplane, any
reason I can't use hologen car headlights in the leading edge?
Lou

That's what I'm using, Lou. Bought a set of aftermarket fog light at
Wal-Mart. I'll be attaching one to my nosewheel. If I don't see the
light at night, it'll be a clear signal that I need to extend the retracts.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old August 22nd 05, 01:55 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Halogens run hotter than standard incandescents. You may want to test to
see how hot they really get (after you forget to turn them off for half an
hour after departure). That's what I would concern myself with a wood
structure.

Yep, me too. Also, if you use a standard rectangle headlight, they are
heavy, and you will need to make an adjustable mount.

Think about the driving light type of halogen. They have a nice narrow
beam. Also, how about doing like some of the old-time planes, and making it
flip down out of the bottom of the wing. That would be cool, huh?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 22nd 05, 02:51 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Ernest Christley wrote:

Lou wrote:

I'm in the middle of assembling my wings on a wooden airplane, any
reason I can't use hologen car headlights in the leading edge?
Lou

That's what I'm using, Lou. Bought a set of aftermarket fog light at
Wal-Mart. I'll be attaching one to my nosewheel. If I don't see the
light at night, it'll be a clear signal that I need to extend the retracts.

An audible warning would be the sound of the prop striking the ground.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 22nd 05, 05:02 AM
jerry wass

I Would use one of the little "muffin fans" available from surplus
stores, electronic supply stores, etc. get a 2 or 3" fan and duct it
so that you get good cooling of the bulb--there are lots of light wt.
headlight assys. on the newer autos, and you can find a little peanut
sized halogens up to 100 watts--but you need good connections and
probably a glass lens (too hot for plastic in my opinion)---Jerry

Old August 22nd 05, 03:38 PM
Rich S.

"Morgans" wrote in message

Think about the driving light type of halogen. They have a nice narrow
beam. Also, how about doing like some of the old-time planes, and making
it
flip down out of the bottom of the wing. That would be cool, huh?

I have a pair of those from Harbor Freight. Gonna mount them in the aluminum
gear leg fairings with one of Jim's flashers for anti-collision.

Rich S.

Old August 22nd 05, 05:40 PM
Lou

Actually, the Harbor Freight lights are top of the list, have you
plugged them in to test for heat?

Old August 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
Rich S.

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, the Harbor Freight lights are top of the list, have you
plugged them in to test for heat?

No, they're still in the box (five years after I bought them). In my case,
they would be mounting to the landing gear leg (2˝" 4130 steel tube) and be
faired with .020" aluminum, so heat wouldn't be too much of a factor. Being
in the airstream would keep them cooler than being enclosed in the wing.

I have two regular aircraft landing lights in the left wing under a
Plexiglas® cover and have not had a heat problem there. I wish I had made
two independently adjustable mounts so one could be aligned for taxi and the
other for landing. Actually, since I don't fly at night any more, I should
take them out and make an evaporative beer cooler out of the housing.

Rich S.