Starship prop blade

Old July 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

Default Starship prop blade

Hi all. I mentioned some months ago that I have a propellor blade from a
Beech Starship, and asked what I could make with it.

How much do you think its worth? it occured to me to take it to the aero
mart at Osh, and sell it there.

Another though was to melt it down and cast some parts for my homebuilt
project.

John

Old July 17th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

John T wrote:

How much do you think its worth? it occured to me to take it to the aero
mart at Osh, and sell it there.

Donate it to Jay H. for prominent display in his aviation-themed inn. He's
got quite a museum of aviation artifacts there.

--
Peter
Old July 18th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

John T wrote:
Another though was to melt it down and cast some parts for my homebuilt
project.

That's probably your best bet, as if it's not yellow-tagged it's
worthless to a Starship operator. Then again, ISTR Beech had bought
them all back a few years ago as they didn't want to support the fleet;
I don't know if any are still flying.

Old July 18th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The alloys used to forge prop blades don't cast well. I
thought that the Starship used composite blades anyway.

ups.com...

Old July 18th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Kingfish" wrote)
That's probably your best bet, as if it's not yellow-tagged it's worthless
to a Starship operator. Then again, ISTR Beech had bought them all back a
few years ago as they didn't want to support the fleet; I don't know if
any are still flying.

http://www.craigsteffen.net/starship/
Good site of Beech Starship at OSH 2004 and 2005.

Photo
"Parked in Aeroshell Square"

Photo
"...with its back to the Beech booth, just to make the point. :-) "

http://rps3.com/Pages/Starship.htm
"4 privately owned Starships are currently in active service:"
NC-29, NC-45, NC-50, NC-51

http://rps3.com/Pages/Starship%20FAQ.htm
Starship FAQ

Montblack

Old July 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Sherer's story is one of the neatest things I've ever heard. There was a
show on the Discovery Channel about his passion. He wanted to keep his
Starship so bad that he not only refused Beechcraft's offer but he bought up
the entire inventory of parts.

They told about his "right plane, right place, right time" story where he
and his instructor simply decided to go visit Burt Rutan in the Starship
because they thought he'd like to see it... and it turns into a request from
Rutan to use the Starship as a chase plane.

Too cool.

Jim

("Kingfish" wrote)

Old July 18th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Kingfish wrote:

That's probably your best bet, as if it's not yellow-tagged it's
worthless to a Starship operator.

??? A yellow tag means nothing. Whatever mechanic installs a part on an
airframe is the person saying the part is airworthy.

Old July 18th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

Its very unlikely this prop blade is airworthy...they were raffled off
to the company (that I work for) employees after some major maint. done
on the plane.

John

Old July 18th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
JonH

The yellow tag means EVERYTHING. The yellow tag (signed by the appropiate
person/persons) is releasing that part as being air worthy. The mechanic
recieves that part (with tag attatched) reviews the tag and part to confirm
that it is a valid yellow tag/part "pairing" and then he/she will install
the part. After whatever testing is needed and done, the log book will be
signed off, with the yellow tag installed in the log book (or in a secondary
container that will be kept with the log books). When the mechanic signs
the log book he is releasing the whole aircraft as being airworthy and safe
for flight.

Any mechanic who recieves and installs a part with no yellow tag is either:
a) A knucklehead
b) A knucklehead who has no idea what he's doing
c) All of the above PLUS someone who you should stop doing business with.

No yellow tag? The part is a paperweight. Sometimes and interesting
paperweight, but still a paperweight.