Average price per qt/case 15W50?

Old March 29th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Average price per qt/case 15W50?

The mech just charged me $4.50qt for 100W for the oil change during the
annual inspection. That's $54 for 12. I remember the last two cases I bought
were about $48 last fall. We use 100W year round and change oil every 50hrs
in the 0-540 with a 250HP STC.

BT

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've burned through my last four cases of 15W50 and was about to reorder
from my local Shell distributor when I was shocked to find that the price
of a case of 12 qt bottles has risen to $68. I used to pay around
$47/case from these people, but that was several years ago (last time I
ordered it had risen to $56). It's hard to ignore the impact of crude
prices on this stuff, but jeez.

Can any of you who are able to get this stuff at Walmart or other
distributors (or heck...anyone who's bought a single quart from an FBO
lately) give me some prices so I can clarify how good a deal this is?

Thanks for the help,

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

Old March 29th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"BTIZ" wrote in message
in the 0-540 with a 250HP STC.

BT... can you tell us what the 250HP STC entails for the 0-540, the STC
holder and which airframes/engine models it is available for?
Thanks,
Jim

Old March 29th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug: where are you buying? I have been getting it on Cesar Chavez.
The last I bought was in the upper $40's a year or so ago and I am
about due for another case.I ould use a distributor on the north end of
town. Thanks, Leo.
Doug Vetter wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
Here are the latest prices (as of today 3/28) from the distributor
where I walk up to their counter and buy it in Austin, TX:

15W50 $52.65 per case (12 quarts)
100WPlus $41.10 per case
100W $32.78 per case

Those are great (reasonable) prices. Wish I had them here in NJ.

Regarding some of the comments to switch to 100W during the summer, I'm
not a big fan of the single weights for two reasons (one philisophical,
one anecdotal):

1) Depending on how often we fly in the fall, we could find ourselves
trying to start on a cold morning with mollasses in the sump, and all it
takes is one cold start to cause damage worth 10x more than we saved in
using the cheaper single-weight oil.

2) The ONLY time we've ever had to pull jugs (one on an O-200 and one on
the O-360) was when my partner was trying to pinch pennies and,
coincidentally, running 100W. Sticking valves in both cases. This is
hardly proof of causation, but I've continued to use what works. We've
had no problems since we went back to 15W50.

Thanks to everyone else who responded so quickly. Nice to see this
group hasn't lost its luster over the years.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

Old March 29th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You mentioned Cesar Chavez which makes me think you are
asking about distributors in Austin. I've been buying from:

Allied Sales
5005 E 7th St
Austin, TX 78702
512-385-2167

The other distributor in Austin that I know of is:

Richards H Oil Company
2915 E Cesar Chavez (E 1st St)
Austin, TX 78702
512-385-0935

In the past when I've checked, their prices have
always been higher than Allied Sales.

If you find a distributor on the north end of town, let
me know.

Ronnie
Austin, TX

oups.com...

Old March 30th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

How is $55.00 a case ?!!! http://www.skygeek.com/oilbycase.html

I have ordered from skygeek before and picked it up at skyacres airport in
NY but they also ship for a reasonable price. I just ordered from them last
week and they were great to deal with.
I hope this helps..

Jon

Old March 30th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default O-540 engine STC (was oil cost?)

Jim, two STCs for the Piper Pawnee
First, STC SA1433GL allows upgrade of a Lycoming O-540-B2B5 or B2C5 at 235HP
to a O-540-B2B5-CA1D5 or O-540-B2C5-CA1D5 engine at 250HP at 2575RPM.

Second STC SA1436GL allows installation of the modified engine into the
PA-25-235 airframe.

Both are owned by Howard Kron of Howards Aircraft Service in Clara City MN.
Both can be found on the FAA web pages if you look up the STC number. The
fee to Howard for the STC is cheap, around $200 and the only parts were a
different piston and rings into the standard engine. We did this upgrade
during an engine overhaul.

BT