Avidyne EX500 w/Datalink ERROR's

Old August 6th 03, 03:20 PM
mtmueller

Default Avidyne EX500 w/Datalink ERROR's

Doesn't Avidyne's Datalink employ the EchoFlight/Orbcomm request/reply
system? Is your datalink antenna a VHF unit?

I know there have been a few horror stories regarding Garmin's
implementation of EchoFlight's system, and the EchoFlight reps at OSH
admitted their system was sensitive to interference. In fact, they even
recommended skin mapping before installing the VHF antenna (much like
installing a Stormscope).

The AnywhereWX forums are full of people that have had the satphone datalink
cut off due to interference from their KT76 transponders.

Sat signals are very weak compared to all the other EM emissions from the
aircraft. It looks like this will be a weak point in deployment of
request/reply.

Not sure what your problem is, but it just sounds very similar to the
generic Orbcomm and Globalstar problems of other emitters on the A/C
blocking the sat signal. This is why I have held off on the Orbcomm and
Globalstar solutions for now (Broadcast systems at a reasonable price won't
be available for my 530 for YEARS :-(((

Good luck.

"Peyton Yon" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Installed Avidyne's newest product this past March 11th, 2003 listed below
are the bugs discovered to date. These errors have been communicated to
Avidyne both in text format and with attached in flight video.

It should be further noted that both the manufacture and dealer have and
continue to work with me in discovering the cause of the "MAP TERMINATED

and
Datalink Failure Error's".

Avidyne EX500 w/Datalink / Installed in Cessna 414 / Location Florida,
USA

In short I'm currently awaiting my THIRD replacement unit to be installed
next week. The main reason for exchanging units is mainly for the
programmers and engineers to download the data log files from the units in
hopes of better identifying the source of the errors.

Please feel free to contact me with details.