Banner Towing

Old May 3rd 05, 01:53 AM
Scott Schluer

Default Banner Towing

Are there any requirements (for either the pilot or the aircraft) for towing
a banner (specifically using a late model C172S)? I'm a private pilot with
about 145 hours TT and no banner towing experience. The only reason I ask is
that my fiance and I are planning on getting married in Sedona, AZ next
year. We both pretty much fell in love with each other on a trip to Sedona
when I flew us both in for a weekend getaway. We were thinking it would be
kind of fun to fly ourselves in again for the wedding, and then take off for
the flight home with a "Just Married" banner behind us. Corny, I know. ;-)
Just wondering what the requirements for banner towing are...

Old May 3rd 05, 03:44 AM
Mike W.

Read FAR §91.311
--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old May 3rd 05, 04:04 AM
Jose

We were thinking it would be kind of fun to fly ourselves
in again for the wedding, and then take of for
the flight home with a "Just Married" banner behind us. Corny, I know. ;-)
Just wondering what the requirements for banner towing are...

In addition to checking the regs, get some dual towing banners first.
There may well be some handing surprises, and you don't want to learn
about them on your way to what you hoped would be your honeymoon.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 3rd 05, 01:26 PM
Cub Driver

I often watch (and sometimes fly in the pattern with) a banner-tow
airplane. Picking up the banner requires equipment, a partner, and (I
imagine) considerable skill.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 3rd 05, 03:50 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:53:21 -0700, "Scott Schluer"
wrote in MXzde.5141$tQ.3021@fed1read06::

We were thinking it would be
kind of fun to fly ourselves in again for the wedding, and then take off for
the flight home with a "Just Married" banner behind us.

You'll find that there is a rather severe performance penalty due to
the increased drag caused by the banner.

Your aircraft will need an approved tow hitch installed. You'd
probably have to arrange for a ground man at the departure and landing
airports, and get permission from the airport management. If you hold
a commercial certificate, I don't believe you'd need an FAA waiver.
Otherwise, I would assume the FSDO would require some evidence of
prior towing experience.

It's a cute thought, and might even make the newspapers/TV news, but
it's a mite impractical, IMHO.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Jose

You'll find that there is a rather severe performance penalty due to
the increased drag caused by the banner...
[...]
It's a cute thought, and might even make the newspapers/TV news, but
it's a mite impractical, IMHO.

For a small enough banner this might be a minor issue. How small can
your banner be and still be worth doing (for your purposes?)

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 3rd 05, 05:01 PM
Michael

Just wondering what the requirements for banner towing are...

A waiver from the FSDO, which you are unlikely to get as a 145 hour
private pilot.

Refer to 14CFR91.311 Towing: Other than under 91.309.
No pilot of a civil aircraft may tow anything with that aircraft (other
than
under 91.309) except in accordance with the terms of a certificate of
waiver
issued by the Administrator.
91.309 cover glider towing.

Michael

Old May 3rd 05, 11:08 PM
Dudley Henriques

Bad idea! Forget it. Special equipment, special crew, special training, and
whatever you do, don't even THINK about trailing something out the window of
a 172 to avoid all this :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old May 3rd 05, 11:13 PM
Peter R.

Dudley wrote:

Bad idea! Forget it. Special equipment, special crew, special

training, and
whatever you do, don't even THINK about trailing something out the

window of
a 172 to avoid all this :-))

So, the idea that he tie a couple of old sneakers and a bunch of tin
cans to the struts wouldn't work?

--
Peter