NetJets Layoff

Old July 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default NetJets Layoff

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've seen the system in action (in Iowa and Wisconsin), and it is a
farce. If it weren't so sad, it would be laughable.

Then you just aren't answering the forms correctly. One of my duties is
fighting unemployment claims on behalf of our clients. If you answer
correctly and keep your ducks in a row the claims are usually refused
when
they should be. I do this for clients in several states. Most states deny
UI
claims if the employee quit or was terminated for misconduct.

I would have thought so, too -- but it wasn't the case for us.

Now, admittedly, as an employer I have a sample of one (1) person who
has ever claimed unemployment against me (that's in three different
businesses, from the 1980s till the present) -- but the experience left
a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth.

1. Our employee gave a one YEAR advance notice to quit. (His "notice"
slipped out at his wedding reception, which we were attending, when it
was announced by his new father-in-law that the bride and groom were
going to be moving out of state. Needless to say, our employee was
deeply embarrassed by the way this came to light.)

2. Fast forward one year later. At the same time as his one year
running out, we switched businesses, from newspapers to the hotel. I
did everything I could to make sure that he had work right up till the
end of his time -- even creating work for him -- so that he could have
employment right up until he moved to Florida.

3. Upon arriving in Florida, he filed for Iowa unemployment, claiming
that his job had been "eliminated".

4. I fought it, and explained what happened to anyone who would listen,
including the administrative judge. Simple facts didn't matter to this
bureacratic nightmare of a "judge", my former friend and employee won
-- and I'm STILL paying for it in the form of higher unemployment
taxes, four years later.

The system sucks. (I can tell you many more examples of acquaintances
who have scammed the unemployment system over the years...)
--

[Playing Unemployment Appeals Judge]

Mr. Honeck, was there work available for the claimant at your firm . After
the termination?

Old June 11th 12, 05:38 PM
atwus atwus is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
NetJets laid off an undisclosed number of employees yesterday in at
least the Ohio offices.

The employees (some as long as seven years) arrived at work yesterday
and were called into meetings where they were told their positions no
longer existed, their benefits end on Friday (June 30th), given a
document outlining the terms of their 'voluntary resignation', and
given an hour to remove their personal property. Two I spoke to said
they were not even assisted removing their belongings, or provided with
boxes/carts or anything. Their access badges were taken, so it was a
one trip deal.

I've seen people fired for 'just cause' get better treatment than these
'voluntary resignees' received.

Perhaps with Warren Buffet's recent donation to the Gate's Foundation,
he has lost concern for his human resources. But then again, they are
voluntarily resigning, so it's not really a layoff, right?

Everyone. All this talk about "right to work" and "helpless employees" is ridiculous. As a former union rep (yes I'm aware unions are not perfect), it is vital to understand that workers have many rights they are not aware of. Both Federal and State law protects workers in a variety of ways. Employers know that and go to great lengths through HR departments to protect themselves from potential lawsuits. They are fully aware that they must comply with protocols when terminating or laying off employees.

I know about the recent NetJets situation. A close friend was let go in a similar manner that has been described. Let me tell you that NetJets is completely out of line with the way they are handling this. And most important, they are not following Bombardier's own procedures; which is the parent company. Forget Berkshire right now. Bombardier has oversight when it comes to NetJets. Yes, they are a Canadian company. I can assure you, however, that they would be shocked at how these layoffs/reduction in workforce are being handled.

NetJets operates like a Mom and Pop operation with an HR department filled with amateurs. They rule by threat and intimidation. To say that workers operate in a hostile work environment is an understatement. Is it all bad? Of course not. But it is clear that NetJets has profound internal problems having been latched on to the big boys without itself evolving into a sophisticated corporate structure.

I believe strongly that a "class action" law suit should be entertained by all those currently suffering under this reduction in workforce. It is being handled in a manner not conducive to conventional HR policy or protocols. Moreover, Federal and State laws might have been violated with regard to age discrimination in certain cases. All of this must be looked into. The press needs to shine a spot light on this to get things going.