Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Old April 5th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 04:38:17 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Temperature and precip vary widely from year to year and local to
local so taken by itself this past year is only a blip in a sea of
change. Give it another 10 years and then *maybe* we can say it
probably, might, could have meant something. :-))

Agreed -- but I don't think too many people will be able to endure ten more
brutal winters like this one.

Temps are dipping down to -5 degrees again tonight -- and it's March...

Bring on the global warming, please!

You know not what you ask.

If it does happen you will see major changes in rainfall patterns
coupled with wide swings in the local weather. Extrem cold, heat,
drought, flood, snow...from year to year.
Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 5th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 04:30:17 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

But let me ask you something: Are you 100% sure your house is going to
burn down this year? If not, why are you wasting your money on insurance?
Why don't you just wait until you see flames, then buy a policy?

Not a good analogy, since we can obviously affect what happens to our own
homes. There is quite literally nothing that can be done by the average
person to influence the world's climate -- one way or the other -- so all
this blather and hand-wringing is nothing but noise and fury, signifying
nothing.

Well, except to the folks who stand to make a few billion dollars in
windfall profits by "studying" the phenomenon.

But all argument aside, I would politely ask for a list of things that we --
you and I -- can do that will "help" the climate problem as you see it.

That's sorta like the incandescent light bulb changed to compact
fluoprescents. per bulb, or even home it amounts to pennies, but over
the use it could save enough to eliminate 5 or 6 power plants.
Old April 5th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-05, Alan wrote:
And, isn't the SUV like driving a C-210 around when the Zodiac would do
the job?

Yes (though mine's a small SUV, so it's more like a 182). The problem is
that I can only have one vehicle. If I needed to fly a 182 for some missions
but not others, I'd be buying a 182.

As for the electric car, let me once again use those two magic words:
"mission profile". I'll consider one when I can get one that will go 400
miles on a charge, while hauling four people and a substantial amount of
stuff, and recharge in 10 minutes so I can go 400 more. My current vehicle
will do that quite easily, and I bought it because I need that capability.

Do all of your trips need that? How many days do you go less than 80 to 100
miles in the day? If you had a car that did that, and was fully fueled every
morning (without stopping at the pumps), wouldn't that be useful?

Sure it'd be useful. The problem is that we don't have a three-car garage.

Now, it wouldn't be *that* useful: the majority of my trips need at least
125 miles range with reserve for traffic, hauling me and luggage, and it
doesn't take much for that number to go up to 175 or so.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)