The great graveyards in Mojave and surrounding areas

Old April 26th 04, 10:43 PM
AA81

Default The great graveyards in Mojave and surrounding areas

Hey,

I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

I have called both Victorville and Mojave airports, and they didnt
really want to help me.

What to do? Stand around the fences? Does anyone know which site is
the best when it comes to plane-variety as well as ease of access. I
understand that I will not be up close, but where can I get the
closest?

Thanks,

David
Old April 26th 04, 11:36 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
AA81 wrote:
I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

They were designed to be visible from space (to support verification
by other parties to the arms reduction treaties) and they show up nicely
on sites like Terraserver. I know at least one of those space imaging
sites had a bunch of quick links to stuff like that.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 27th 04, 01:17 AM
Tarver Engineering

"AA81" wrote in message
om...
Hey,

I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

I have called both Victorville and Mojave airports, and they didnt
really want to help me.

What to do? Stand around the fences? Does anyone know which site is
the best when it comes to plane-variety as well as ease of access. I
understand that I will not be up close, but where can I get the
closest?

Victorville has a guard to stop you, but you can drive right on to Mojave
airport.

Old April 27th 04, 05:13 PM
Scott Skylane

AA81 wrote:
Hey,

I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

/snip/

David,

Not exactly in your back yard, but Roswell, NM, and Kingman, AZ are a
couple of other accessible graveyards.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old April 27th 04, 10:08 PM
Circuit Breaker

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article , AA81
wrote:
I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting some
planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big moth-ball
sites.

They were designed to be visible from space (to support verification by
other parties to the arms reduction treaties) and they show up nicely on
sites like Terraserver. I know at least one of those space imaging sites
had a bunch of quick links to stuff like that.

Yeah, terraserver had that. You have to use
http://www.terraserver-usa.com or http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com
in order to get the free stuff. But yeah, there is a "famous places"
link, and one of them shows a B-52 in the icon - I forget the name they
used though, but it's an easy find. Zoom out a little and see how big it
is.

--
--x _x | CJ Chitwood
| | |_|___ _ _ ____x | Unregistered Linux User # 18,000,002
| |_| | , | | |\ \/ |
|____|_|_|_|___|/\_\ | Sink the ship to reply by e-mail
Old April 28th 04, 07:08 AM
MikeM

AA81 wrote:
Hey,

I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

I have called both Victorville and Mojave airports, and they didnt
really want to help me.

Go to Tuscon. Visit the Pima Air Museum. Pay the extra $6.00 to
go on the AMARC bus tour. Rows and Rows of B52s, C141s, A10s, F4s,
OV10, C5A, KC135, OA2s, etc. Cameras welcome.

Pinal Air Park, run by Evergreen (CIA?) about 40 mi NW of Tuscon has
lots of unused commercial airliners including lots of 747s. They
dont like cameras.

MikeM
Old April 28th 04, 05:51 PM
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC

MikeM wrote:

AA81 wrote:
Hey,

I live in San Diego, and I am planning to spend a weekend spotting
some planes and taking insane amounts of pictures at one of the big
moth-ball sites.

I have called both Victorville and Mojave airports, and they didnt
really want to help me.

Go to Tuscon. Visit the Pima Air Museum. Pay the extra $6.00 to
go on the AMARC bus tour. Rows and Rows of B52s, C141s, A10s, F4s,
OV10, C5A, KC135, OA2s, etc. Cameras welcome.

Pinal Air Park, run by Evergreen (CIA?) about 40 mi NW of Tuscon has
lots of unused commercial airliners including lots of 747s. They
dont like cameras.

MikeM

Have you ever been in PAP? We've tried several times to get in but they dont so
'tours'. And as the airframes are still 'live'.. meaning usable, just parked
to reduce the fleets, it's a security matter. We come over D-M and Marana
everyday on the arrival from Mexico.

TJ, B757FO
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Old May 1st 04, 07:08 AM
atis118

I fly pattern work at Mojave all the time, it's a popular spot because
of the great crosswinds. I would chance just going there and talking
to someone in the tower after you've landed, it's always seemed fairly
low key up there. KVCV on the other hand still has military transports
flying from there, I could see how they would be a little more fussy.

Greg