Transponder for 100,000 ft rocket flight.

Old November 4th 10, 09:58 PM
George Davailus George Davailus is offline
Junior Member

Default Transponder for 100,000 ft rocket flight.

Hello,

I'm George Davailus from Masten Space Systems. I need a Mode C Transponder for a 100,000 foot rocket flight. All transponders I have found only go to 62,000 ft or lower. Does anyone know of a device that would meet our requirement, or know of a way to modify an existing transponder? Please respond to this thread or email me at
.

George
Old November 5th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
George Davailus wrote:

Hello,

I'm George Davailus from Masten Space Systems. I need a Mode C
Transponder for a 100,000 foot rocket flight. All transponders I have
found only go to 62,000 ft or lower. Does anyone know of a device that
would meet our requirement, or know of a way to modify an existing
transponder? Please respond to this thread or email me at
.

George

What you are referring to is the encoder, which has, at its hert, a
barometric pressure sensor. Since the pressure differential between
62Kft and 100 Kft is so small, its accuracy diminishes as altitude
increases. I am not sure that anyone makes such an instrument.

You might try, however, to adapt a GPS altitude reader to transmit
altitude, since GPS measures altitude the same way it resolves position
-- by differential signals, and is good to whatever calibration the GPS
unit is good for.

TWA Rocket The Good Poster[_2_] Aviation Photos 5 May 18th 09 12:31 PM
Transponder vs. Portable Transponder Detectors John Murphy Soaring 16 December 20th 08 08:25 AM
Rocket Man Matt Barrow[_3_] Piloting 0 February 27th 07 03:42 PM
Need help with a rocket motor ID unk-rocket- Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 February 2nd 07 09:09 AM
TWO EXTREMELY RARE ROCKET BOOKS ON EBAY - INCREDIBLE ROCKET HISTORY! TruthReigns Military Aviation 0 July 10th 04 11:54 AM