More sad news

Old July 31st 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default More sad news

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 10:24:38 AM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:
The problem with PowerFLARM today is that it does not reliably show you all GA traffic. It does NOT support TIS-B or UAT, so you will not see ADS-B equipped aircraft that use UAT for ADS-B OUT. This is going to be a VERY significant proportion of the GA fleet, given uAvionix's low cost and easy to install SkyBeacon and TailBeacon products.

Unless you have flown in an ADS-B IN and OUT equipped aircraft, you really have no idea of how much traffic is out there, even in remote areas. If you look at where gliders are based in the US, I suspect the majority are in relatively close proximity to major metropolitan areas where GA and airliner threats are significant. Even if you are flying in Janesville, WI (90 miles from ORD), you have jets on approach to O'Hara flying thru your airspace at 7,000 ft.

Mike, do you have any figures to back up your UAT vs 1090ES adoption rate assumption? Sure as heck no jets or high performance/IFR aircraft will go UAT!

And, as usual, you ignore that PowerFLARM DOES pick up UAT-equipped aircraft BY MEANS OF PCAS DETECTION OF THE TRANSPONDER. Sure it isn't as good as a full up ADS-B in, but it is a lot better than nothing or the old Mk 1 eyeball!

Kirk
66
Happy PF user since day one.
Old July 31st 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Having flown (170B) with ADSB in for the past 5 years, and PowerFlarm for well over that in my Sailplane a couple of observations. 1. ADSB is great for seeing traffic a long way away and therefore can plan accordlingly. It is not very useful in a very busy controlled traffic pattern such as KPRC where I fly mostly. 2. I would not trade my PowerFlarm in the glider for anything. It has saved my bacon (especially at contests) more times than I can count. Busy thermals aside, I have had several alerts on incoming finishes far enough in advance to be able to calmly and clearly manuver away from conflict. I did install a transponder so I can be seen by GA with ADSB in. Is there a need for ADSB in or out for the glider? For me the lack of funds, power, and panel space made the choice clear. PowerFlarm first, Transponder second to be "seen" by GA and commercial traffic, ADSB out last and only if its cost comes down significantly. IMHO

Cliff Hilty CH ASW27 C170B
Old July 31st 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 11:28:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Having a transponder is very helpful in making you visible to TCAS equipped airliners. It will also make you visible to ADS-B IN & OUT equipped GA aircraft if you are high enough to be seen by ATC radar, AND the GA aircraft is within range of an ADS-B ground station, both of which are not always true, particularly in remote locations at low altitudes, particularly when you are in the traffic pattern at a GA airport.

If you have a Trig transponder, adding ADS-B OUT is a $350 investment in a GPS source. This is a no-brainer given the investment that you have already made.
Old July 31st 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not Trig, Becker.

CH