Flight Simulator 2004 Control Issues

Old November 23rd 03, 01:59 PM
mdavis

CH Pedals
The Control Manager for CH pedals and yokes is great. You can enter the
adjustment section where you get small graphs that allow you to tweak the
curves to set sensitivity any way you like it by moving them around,
steepening the slopes, bowing the centers, etc. I've owned a USB Yoke LE
(no mix/prop) and a set of ProPedals for several years now and they work
beautifully.

Flight models
Many FS2002 aircraft ported over to FS9 exhibit a nose heavy attitude. Some
designers suggest setting elevator trim to compensate for this. It is often
a total remake of the .cfg and .air files to tweak one properly, which is a
big job.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:16 PM
Noi

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:43:21 +0000, SouthBayGuy without thinking wrote:

Did you uninstall and reinstall FS9? Checked rudder trim?

Thanks for your reply, glatherm:

Well no it won't fly straight and level, really. Without the A/P I am
constantly having to readjust power/trim, and still find myself climbing
or descending about 300fpm. It's either my poor skills as a sim pilot
after all these years, or none of the joysticks i've tried will calibrate
exactly correct on this computer of mine. I still tend to think it's a
combination of my lousy flying and the default flight models and whatever
bugs are present in FS9. I'm tending to believe what I do about the flight
models because I got the "Perfect Flight General Aviation Adventures" add
on from the internet the other day (because it has a citiation in it) and
although the graphics on the planes and panel's aren't up to MS, the
planes handle much better.

Thanks for the tip on the Mooney I'll try it!

Regards to all

"glathrem" wrote in message
If you turn AP off and center the joystick, will it fly straight and

level?
Sounds like the AP is compensating for a slightly down stick. I have the
3 axis sidewinder and it works fine, except that FS9 pushes buttons on
it's own occasionally. I do see the quick turbulence bump you have once
in a while. That Mooney Bravo is a bummer. It won't fly straight unless
you continuously switch fuel tanks. It only draws fuel from one tank at
a time and quickly becomes unbalanced enough to turn. Would be a really
nice

plane
except for that. My system is not much better than yours; 1.8ghz, Nvidia
64mb (geforce4), XP sp1, 512 ram...... I most of the time maintain 20FPS
with most sliders maxed out (the sliders important to me anyway).

"SouthBayGuy" wrote in message
link.net...
Hello Everyone:

I was hoping that someone with more experience than I could help me
with some questions/problems that I have with MS Flight Sim 2004. I
have

owned
all of the FS since 4.0, and the one that has worked best for me has

been
2002. A couple of weeks ago, I got 2004, and am quite happy with it as

an
"upgrade," more for the "little things" (more choices in ATC, better

GPS,
etc), but have had some problems that are either brand new, or seem to

have
gotten worse in this version.

First, my system;
Compaq 1.6 GHz Pentium 4
512 mb RAM 433mhz bus
80gb 7200 EIDE HDD 80gb Maxtor external HDD (USB) NVIDIA Geoforce 2MMX
64MB video (yeah yeah, I know) Windows XP Home SP1 with all the lil
"patches" Saitek Cyborg EVO Joystick

This system can run FS2004 fairly well, good frame rate, not the best
scenery detail of course, but I use FS mostly as a recreational thing,

do
the flying that I cant afford, and am not skilled for yet, in R/L. I

have
taken some flight training in the past, it's been a long time ago, but

do
know what it's like to fly a real 182, etc. With my older video card

I've
found that the best thing to do is leave it at whatever the program
puts

at
the defaults--that gives the best performance for me.

Now, to the issues:

1. Rudder control-Both my joysticks (I also have the MS Sidewinder 2.0

that
frankly I'm disappointed with), have twist for rudder. It is VERY

DIFFICULT
to taxi, to keep the plane on the taxi line and even more difficult to

track
the center on take off and landing rolls. This occurs in all planes
but

is
worse in the Mooney Bravo. Is this just part of the flight model, .cfg

file,
whatever? I don't want to invest in custom rudder controls and have
the

same
problem..that would be very depressing! Also once in the air, the
planes especially the light gen av aircraft, wander a bit as far as
heading

(the
Mooney is worst at this).

2. Auto Pilot Problem-Now THIS is the thing that is frustrating. When

I'm
flying any of the lighter aircraft, really anything other than the
airliners, when the A/P is set for altitude it keeps the trim so nose

high,
the airplane can't pass 80 knots or so. This is especially bad in the

172
182 and Mooney. The twins do it to an extent; it doesn't really happen

in
the jets because you can set the A/P to maintain IAS. Is there ANY way

stop the A/P from setting the trim so nose high? I've also noticed
that

when
flying along in A/P that periodically the plane will suddenly act like

it
was hit by a gust (even with wind turned off), slip, raise and fall a

bit,
then try to go back to the heading and altitude (and of course roll
the elevator trim way high! UGH!).

The Mooney for seem reason, just seems downright unflyable. Am I doing
something wrong, do I have to alter a config file or something? It
just seems, from my limited real piloting experience, that real
aircraft are about 20 times easier to control. Anyway thanks so much
for taking the

time
to read my post. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone could

give.

Thanks!

Old November 24th 03, 03:02 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply, mdavis:

I have heard from many people I chat and email with that the CH pedals as
long as you have the current version of that control software, are very
good. As I stated in another post here, I have been thinking of getting a
yoke/pedals for some time, but have been hesitant because of some of the
issues I experience in FS; however I do understand that having a yoke and
set of pedals is quite superior to a joystick, even the best ones (I have
both a sidewinder 2.0 and a Satiek Cyborg EVO, which I think are the
probably the best 2 "mid priced" joysticks). I think I'll just use the
holiday season as my excuse to go for it!

On the flight models, that's kind of what I figured---it's something you
have to tinker with to get it like you like it. I guess the next step is to
read up on tweaking the .cfg and .air files, or maybe find a utility to help
me. Thanks for your time!

. com...

Old November 24th 03, 03:02 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply, Noi:

Yes, I have reinstalled several times, and the trim is centered, however
with both sticks with the FS9 default aircraft my rudder does not seem to
want to stay centered, however with add on aircraft like the package I just
got it seems to work a lot better. I'm sure it must be something I'm
doing...I just can't figure out what Thanks for your time!

news

Old November 24th 03, 06:18 AM
Dave J.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:05:47 GMT, "SouthBayGuy"
wrote:

2. Auto Pilot Problem-Now THIS is the thing that is frustrating. When I'm
flying any of the lighter aircraft, really anything other than the
airliners, when the A/P is set for altitude it keeps the trim so nose high,
the airplane can't pass 80 knots or so. This is especially bad in the 172
182 and Mooney. The twins do it to an extent; it doesn't really happen in
the jets because you can set the A/P to maintain IAS. Is there ANY way to
stop the A/P from setting the trim so nose high? I've also noticed that when
flying along in A/P that periodically the plane will suddenly act like it
was hit by a gust (even with wind turned off), slip, raise and fall a bit,
then try to go back to the heading and altitude (and of course roll the
elevator trim way high! UGH!).

If you have too high a rate of climb then the a/p will try to maintain
that rate and the airspeed could bleed off until the plane stalls. If
you manually override the autopilot's default rate of clime and reduce
it, that might keep the airspeed high enough to prevent the autopilot
from having to raise the nose so high.

Your description of the problem really sounds like the plane is flying
too slowly for some reason. The throttles could be limited from their
full setting. The spoilers could be deployed. There's lots of things
that could slow the plane like climbing too fast. It sounds like too
slow airspeed is the problem.
Old November 25th 03, 03:55 AM
mike

I had similar over-sensitive rudder problem with FS2004 on the same
machine that did not have the problem with FS2K. I use the MS
Sidewinder joystick.

When I tried changing the rudder sensitivity inside FS it barely made
any difference to flight, although I noticed in slew mode, my ability
to turn with rudder was very much affected by the setting change.

On XP with Sidewinder it stores profiles per game so you can have
adjustments to sensitivity and settings on a per-game basis (is that a
Sidewinder thing, or is it part of XP's joystick calibartion tool?).

One thing that helped, was playing with the joystick profile outside
of FS. I seem to remember there was some way of picking a previously
created profile for another game (?) when you select the profile you
want to use with FS2004, and either making sure I used a separate one
for FS2004 or the same one as FS2K which used to work fine (I cant
remember which way round it was) made a difference.
Old November 26th 03, 12:28 AM
Twilson

I Think the rudder thing is a bug. I have a Cougar HOTAS set up with elite
pedals. Usually when I start a take off run the first time I get run away
nose wheel steering and have to reset the flight and then all is well. I have
no problem after this when taking off from Meigs or Phoenix Sky Harbor,
however if I try to take off from the Flagstaff, AZ airport I am all over the
place and can hardly keep it on the runway. This is not P factor as sometimes
the plane yaws to the right and jet aircraft do it as well. I seriously think
this is a bug that has not been addressed by MS. Too many people having this
trouble.

Old November 26th 03, 02:41 AM
Dashi

Are you centering your controls prior to take-off? If not then that's the
problem, operator error.

Dashi

Old November 26th 03, 05:30 PM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply Dave:

You raise some great points...I'm still fiddling with it, and it does seem
to be a LITTLE better I'd like to thank you and everyone again for their
suggestions I appreciate the help!

Regards to all

Old November 26th 03, 05:31 PM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply Jeff:

Thank you for the link..this is what I had suspected was part of the
problem..i.e. a .cfg or .air file or something that maybe had to be edited a
bit. I will experiment (carefully) and see what happens. One challenge with
this hobby is, it's so hard to keep up on all the info, especially if you
spend so much time like me trying to find favorite aircraft to download and
all that. I don't know if I goofed up some settings myself (maybe adding a
plane not fs9 compatible), or its just that the default flight models
weren't tuned by MS. (I suspect it's a combination of both). I have noticed
that add on aircraft, especially for-sale packages (like flight1's
Meridian), not only often have much nicer graphics and panels and all, but
are much more enjoyable to fly than the "out of the box" planes. It's
aggrivating sometimes, but I'm too addicted to give up! Thanks again for
your time

Regards to all

"Jeffrey Voight" wrote in message
I'm sorry I don't have a better description of this, but I have the
rudder control answer. It's a result of MS going from 'analog' to
'digital' in their joystick handling code. I was having severe control
issues until I found a reference to it on the web.
This wasn't what I found to fix the problem but it seems to deal with
your issues.

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcfo...3/10860.html#1

rudder_effectiveness and something else are what I ended up changing.

Wish I could be more help.

Jeff...

SouthBayGuy wrote:
[...]

to do
the flying that I cant afford, and am not skilled for yet, in R/L. I

have
taken some flight training in the past, it's been a long time ago, but I