back up gps?

Old May 30th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Long

Default back up gps?

Whats everyone's favorite backup gps (if you fly with one).

It occurred to me that my Naviter and LK are fairly unstable and it would be wise to carry a backup...

Garmin 96 or garmin 195 are cheap, not sure about their power consumption.

Old May 30th 16, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Back up GPS for navigation? Paper chart and Mk-1 eyeball.
I've only used an Oudie for a couple of summers, with a nano data logger.
They go down, it's the paper chart.

BillT
Old May 30th 16, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 30 May 2016 04:23:13 UTC+2, Nicholas Long wrote:
Whats everyone's favorite backup gps (if you fly with one).

It occurred to me that my Naviter and LK are fairly unstable and it would be wise to carry a backup...

Garmin 96 or garmin 195 are cheap, not sure about their power consumption.

A smartphone seems like a much cheaper option if you already have one.

I keep an Android phone in my pocket running XCSoar which gives me all the functionality of a full blown moving map and glide computer with zero additional cost.
My Samsung Note 2 runs for 8.5 hours on a full charge with XCSoar running and maximum screen brightness (GPS on and GSM off). I've never had it crash or reboot on me.
Replace Andoid/XCSoar with iOS/iGlide (or whatever you prefer).

If the satellites are switched off a map is the third option and there is nothing wrong with doing a precautionary landing in a farmers field should one get lost.
Old May 30th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:07:36 PM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
[...]

The Android app called Avare is excellent, and runs current WAC or Sectional charts plus airport info (eaasily pull up runway width! try that with a paper chart)
It's free, but I feel well worth a donation.
Jim
Old May 30th 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The beauty of flying in New Mexico is that it's very difficult to get
beyond visual range of significant landmarks so I don't even "need" a
map. I can see Blanca Peak in Colorado from overhead Moriarty, and
Sandia Peak from near the Colorado line. There are also only 2 major
roads and, with a magnetic compass, it's a simple matter to find your
way home.

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 30th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ditto on what Bill T said. Electronics are great but they do quit. A sectional or WAC of the area is in my opinion the thing to have tucked in the cockpit. I also have foreflight on my i phone, thats helps too as long as you have cell coverage.
Dan
Old May 31st 16, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le lundi 30 mai 2016 19:40:33 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
Ditto on what Bill T said. Electronics are great but they do quit. A sectional or WAC of the area is in my opinion the thing to have tucked in the cockpit. I also have foreflight on my i phone, thats helps too as long as you have cell coverage.
Dan

Electronics doesn't quit if you set it up right. If my power supply fails, the Oudie will continue on its internal battery and GPS for quite some hours. If the Oudie dies, I have a smartphone with GPS, XCSoar and an additional battery which will be working for 10 hours. The CAI302 will stop working, but the VW1000 has a seperate 6x AA apck providing audio operation for 8 hours (no need for prehistoric pneumatic varios).

And yes, I still carry paper maps. Can't remember when I used them last time.
Old May 31st 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

Both the LX Navigation Colibri II or the LXNav Nano 3 are nice small backups as they are IGC approved loggers, audio varios, thermal optimizers, and GPS navigation tools with internal batteries. Outside the scope of this discussion of "I lost all my power!" is that they can also can display FLARM with an external input (FLARM brick or portable).

Colibri II is less expensive (still being sold?).
Nano 3 seems brighter (better ease of use?).

Videos
------
Colibri II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pl9iLpxAc
Nano 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6zwEtCs9k
Old May 31st 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Avare on an Android device (free, but donations are nice) does not
require cell coverage after you've downloaded every chart imaginable
from the comfort of home. I will be carrying that for my flight in the
Stemme from Moriarty to Minden (tomorrow!).

Back Glenn[_4_] Aviation Photos 3 October 20th 12 10:45 PM
back to my old self Tony[_5_] Soaring 0 June 18th 12 08:56 PM
I appear to be back Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 7 September 16th 09 04:28 PM
Blue Angels back in Pensacola - practice session - Diamond heading back to the hangar Pensacola Beachcomber Aviation Photos 0 March 23rd 08 05:28 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM