Accidents will happen

Old March 6th 05, 04:13 AM

Default Accidents will happen

Around summer 1989, a three-foot-long practice bomb was accidentally
dislodged from a Navy fighter je that was on a training mission. The
wayward ordnance, which was inert, came to rest in the backyard of
William Larsen's Middleburg, FL, home. The bomb gouged a foot-deep
crater in the earth, but, fortunately for the Navy, no one was injured
in the mishap.

Anyone have more info?
Mike

Old March 6th 05, 08:27 AM
Jeroen Wenting

a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
more than maybe 50 pounds.
Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
penetration mission.

"No Spam" wrote in message
a foot-deep CRATER??? An entire 12 inches??

Old March 6th 05, 08:45 AM
Dave in San Diego

"Jeroen Wenting" wrote in
:

a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
more than maybe 50 pounds.
Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
penetration mission.

A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than just a
foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a beachfront hotel went
deeper than that many moons ago.

Dave in San Diego
Old March 6th 05, 08:58 AM
Dave Kearton

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message

| "Jeroen Wenting" wrote in
| :
|
|| a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would
|| weigh no more than maybe 50 pounds.
|| Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a
|| lowlevel penetration mission.
|
| A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than
| just a foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a
| beachfront hotel went deeper than that many moons ago.
|
| Dave in San Diego

A bowling ball dropped from a 6th storey building has a fairly vertical
component to its trajectory. Whereas, a practice bomb dropped at
low level would have a much higher horizontal vector.

I'm only guessing, if the plane was over a backyard, it was possibly on
finals or in the pattern at the very least. At a forward speed of 200
kt, the forward momentum would (possibly) make the bomb bounce out of the
hole at a 30 degree angle. The 'foot deep' crater could then also
be described as a 'foot deep' skidmark. It would help if we knew
how long the crater was ;-)

That's only an opinion, your mileage may vary.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old March 6th 05, 10:40 AM
Keith W

"Jeroen Wenting" wrote in message
a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
more than maybe 50 pounds.

Incorrect, a concrete block 3ft long and 6" square will weigh
over 100 lbs. If its 1ft square it'll weigh 400 pounds

Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
penetration mission.

But does from medium/high level !

The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
rest of the building.

Keith

Old March 6th 05, 11:30 AM
Noah Little

Dave in San Diego wrote:
A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than just a
foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a beachfront hotel went
deeper than that many moons ago.

But keep in mind the difference between sand and Florida clay.
Middleburg, by the way, is/was the home of Slim Whitman, and is just
north of where Bo Diddley hails from.
--
Noah
Old March 6th 05, 09:00 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Keith W" wrote:

"Jeroen Wenting" wrote in message
a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
more than maybe 50 pounds.

Incorrect, a concrete block 3ft long and 6" square will weigh
over 100 lbs. If its 1ft square it'll weigh 400 pounds

Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
penetration mission.

But does from medium/high level !

The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
rest of the building.

Keith

They are really great for tank plinking, too. When the bad guys put a
tank next to a hospital or school, the concrete bomb taked out the tank
without touching the building next to it.
Old March 7th 05, 02:21 AM
RMN

I think we're missing the point here guys. He asked for more info about the
incident and so
far nobody has provided any.

Old March 7th 05, 02:01 PM
Rob van Riel

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:40:19 +0000, Keith W wrote:

The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
rest of the building.

I'm sure it works brilliantly, but for some reason, I find the idea of
throwing laser guided stones at the enemy vastly amusing. Beautifull bit
of out-of-the-box thinking.

Rob

Accidents happen... Manuel Piloting 26 November 28th 04 11:32 AM
Aviation accidents alarming Marines Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 September 11th 04 08:35 PM
Single-Seat Accident Records (Was BD-5B) Ron Wanttaja Home Built 41 November 20th 03 05:39 AM