Goose at FL 360????

Old November 5th 05, 05:01 AM
A Lieberman

Default Goose at FL 360????

Is the following for real or is there a typo?

Geese in Class A airspace???

Allen
------------

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: UPS28 Make/Model: B757 Description: B-757
Date: 11/03/2005 Time: 2325

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

LOCATION
City: COLORADO SPRINGS State: CO Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT, UPS28, A B757, ENROUTE FROM SDF TO MHR, STRUCK A GOOSE AT FL360.
ACFT DESCENDED TO FL280, DUE TO THE WINDSHIELD BEING CRACKED AND
CONTINUED
ON TO DESTINATION. PILOT DID NOT DECLARE AN EMERGENCY. OVER COLORADO
SPRINGS, CO

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 4 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Cruise Operation: Air Carrier
Old November 5th 05, 06:03 AM
BTIZ

not a typo...

yes... they can get that high..
taking advantage of the jet stream would be my guess

BT

.. .

Old November 5th 05, 10:40 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:01:58 -0600, A Lieberman
wrote:

Geese in Class A airspace???

updraft?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old November 5th 05, 12:09 PM
Peter R.

BTIZ wrote:

not a typo...

yes... they can get that high..
taking advantage of the jet stream would be my guess

The whole time of useful consciousness apparently is not an issue with a
goose? I wonder what gives a goose's lungs the ability to extract o2 at
that altitude?

--
Peter

Date: 11/03/2005 Time: 2325

[...]

I'll bet that goose didn't have a clearance either! What I wonder, is
how could you be sure it was a goose at that speed? Maybe they did DNA
analysis on the stain left on the windshield.

Matt
Old November 5th 05, 02:05 PM
A Lieberman

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 07:09:56 -0500, Peter R. wrote:

The whole time of useful consciousness apparently is not an issue with a
goose? I wonder what gives a goose's lungs the ability to extract o2 at
that altitude?

In addition to what Peter wrote above, I wonder what gives the goose the
ability to even survive the extreme cold temperatures. O2 was my first
thought and temp came secondary.

Or the ability to maintain lift at that altitude since the air would be
quite thin?

I know goose down clothing are warm, but are Geese that tough?

Allen
Old November 5th 05, 02:10 PM
John

not to mention flying (for birds) is high metabolism work . . .. how
do they make it work that high

Old November 5th 05, 02:25 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "BTIZ" said:
yes... they can get that high..
taking advantage of the jet stream would be my guess

Note the location was Colorado Springs. Maybe it got pushed that high by
a mountain wave and wasn't any happier about it than the 757 was.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The way NT mounts filesystems is something I'd expect to find in a
Old November 5th 05, 02:36 PM
Carl Ellis

Is the following for real or is there a typo?

Must be a flock of turbine (super) Goose.

Old November 5th 05, 03:04 PM
.Blueskies.

"A Lieberman" wrote in message .. .
Is the following for real or is there a typo?

Geese in Class A airspace???

Allen

How did they know it was a goose?

Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 5 December 15th 04 03:56 AM
Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 0 December 14th 04 02:58 PM
BLUE GOOSE Cribsheet Owning 0 September 7th 04 06:38 PM
The Last Flight of the Blue Goose Cribsheet General Aviation 0 June 4th 04 04:38 PM
Off Topic - Spruce Goose Steve Beaver Home Built 30 January 24th 04 05:59 AM