Flare vs flair

Old June 25th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flare vs flair

Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of
paper issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have
searched this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth
had already told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate or
make good use of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a
uniquely attractive quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all
their own." I got nine hits from the search engine; the Glider Pilot's
Handbook uses both spellings in succeeding paragraphs, believe it or not.
The Sport Pilot PTS for powered parachutes also uses flair. The rest of the
hits were in reports of incidents or maintenance written by pilots or
mechanics where mis-spellings can be kind of forgiving.

I got 427 hits on "flare," including Parts 61, 91, and 121. Some of the
hits were in the context of flare pots to outline landing surfaces or
flaring the end of a tube such as a fuel line, but most dealt with the
process of landing.

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Thanks.

Bob Gardner

Old June 25th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Gardner schrieb:

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Actually, it helps a lot to have a flair for landings.

Stefan
Old June 25th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of paper
issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have searched
this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth had already
told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate or make good use
of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a uniquely attractive
quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all their own."

But Bob... you have only made half of your case. As you say, the dictionary
definition of "flair" includes nothing about landing an airplane, but neither
does the definition for "flare". Since Part 1 of the FARs (definitions) seems
to be silent on the issue, how are we to know which spelling is correct?

I am so confused...
Vaughn

Old June 25th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Vaughn Simon schrieb:

But Bob... you have only made half of your case. As you say, the dictionary
definition of "flair" includes nothing about landing an airplane, but neither
does the definition for "flare".

Depends on the dictionary. From the OED (1993):

flare v. [Of unknown etymology.]

d. intr. To make the glide path of an aircraft about to land gradually
less steep until it is parallel to the ground; to raise the nose of an
aircraft when doing this; also trans., to cause (an aircraft) to descend
in this way. Also with out.

flare-out n.

2. Aeronaut. A lessening of the steepness of the glide path of an
aircraft about to land.

(Both with references.)

Stefan
Old June 25th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:14:30 +0200, Stefan wrote:

Actually, it helps a lot to have a flair for landings.

I like to flare with flair when I've passengers on board.

- Andrew

Old June 25th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Gardner wrote:

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Old June 26th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:48:35 -0600, Newps wrote:

Bob Gardner wrote:

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height" for
"altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet". Or
"insane eccentricity" for "precision".

- Andrew

Old June 26th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Speaking of Nobel Prizes, how about two to give to Tutu too?

Old June 26th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

(stuff cut)

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Thanks.

Bob Gardner

As for me, I would have to say that it takes a lot of flair to flare out
into a good landing. ;)