A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FLARM and ADS-B and PCAS Traffic Display on PC

Old March 11th 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Default FLARM and ADS-B and PCAS Traffic Display on PC

Hi,

A customer has a PowerFLARM Core and wants to use it to display nearby FLARM, ADS-B and PCAS traffic on a PC - on the ground. It is easy to connect the PowerFLARM Core to the PC's serial port, but I'm not aware of any software to display the traffic on a map. Any suggestions? Are any soaring clubs doing this?

The customer is currently using an Oudie 2. It works fine, but he'd prefer a much larger and higher-resolution monitor.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Old March 11th 19, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 1:41:51 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

A customer has a PowerFLARM Core and wants to use it to display nearby FLARM, ADS-B and PCAS traffic on a PC - on the ground. It is easy to connect the PowerFLARM Core to the PC's serial port, but I'm not aware of any software to display the traffic on a map. Any suggestions? Are any soaring clubs doing this?

The customer is currently using an Oudie 2. It works fine, but he'd prefer a much larger and higher-resolution monitor.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

It'd be less expensive and more productive to sell the PF Core (coincidentally I may need one) and build an OGN station. Believe the cost of the Raspberry Pi and all the bits is about $250. Then the customer's computer and everyone else's can display that OGN station.
A good start, the link below.
Jim

http://wiki.glidernet.org/

Old March 11th 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Hi,

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul, I think Rex and Noelle at Williams Soaring Center just got something like this up and running to keep track of the fleet in the air in real time.. Ask them.

Matt
Old March 11th 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Matt,

Thanks. I just sent an email to Rex and Noelle.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:19:53 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Hi,

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul, I think Rex and Noelle at Williams Soaring Center just got something like this up and running to keep track of the fleet in the air in real time. Ask them.

Matt

Old March 12th 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Moriarty, NM (0E0) has installed several FlightAware and OGN receivers around the Estancia Valley and other locations in New Mexico. The do an admirable job of providing tracking for Flarm and/or ADS-B/Transponder equipped aircraft. Monitoring is easy via the Internet, and is available for viewing in the Moriarty Airport Terminal on a dedicated 42 inch monitor. Most of the installations were funded by individual pilots interested in promoting the use of this inexpensive and highly useful technology.
Old March 12th 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 2:41:51 PM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

XCSoar will do that. There's a Windows version as well as a Linux version that both work on the desktop. Free.

The OGN station setups ( http://wiki.glidernet.org/ ) also work and can serve the community as well. But I'd say they are a little challenging to set up for the uninitiated. Easier than it was a few years ago. But still Linux, with all the good and bad.
Old March 13th 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Dave,

I installed XCSoar on my PC along with airport, airspace and map files. It was pretty easy to do. It does an OK job of displaying the nearby ADS-B and FLARM traffic. It doesn't seem to display much traffic information on the moving map screen. It shows more information in the FLARM Radar view, but that view doesn't show the map.

I think it will be OK for the customer, but for our soaring club I'd prefer something that displays more information about traffic on the moving map - as my Oudie and LX9000 do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps an Oudie is the best solution for our soaring club flight monitor.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 8:59:51 PM UTC-5, Dave Leonard wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 2:41:51 PM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

XCSoar will do that. There's a Windows version as well as a Linux version that both work on the desktop. Free.

The OGN station setups ( http://wiki.glidernet.org/ ) also work and can serve the community as well. But I'd say they are a little challenging to set up for the uninitiated. Easier than it was a few years ago. But still Linux, with all the good and bad.

Old March 14th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

At least on my Dell Streak the flarm and ADSB (but not PCAS) targets are showing in the moving map as tiny small blue arrows. There may be a setting to enable this, don’t recall of the top of my head. Also I believe there is no buffer time so they come and go quickly as the reception fluctuates.

Ramy
Old March 14th 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Ramy,

Thanks. I'm seeing ADS-B targets as blue triangles on the map, but I can only see range, relative altitude and vario reading when I go to the FLARM Radar screen - which doesn't have a map background.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:11:30 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
At least on my Dell Streak the flarm and ADSB (but not PCAS) targets are showing in the moving map as tiny small blue arrows. There may be a setting to enable this, don’t recall of the top of my head. Also I believe there is no buffer time so they come and go quickly as the reception fluctuates.

Ramy

Old March 14th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Lockhart[_4_]
external usenet poster

Config Config File Manager Add & look for data.fln &
ogn-device-database.fln, just below the.xcm map files. data.fln gives you
those registered on Flarmnet & the ogn file those registered on the Open
Glider Network.

A proper OGN receiver would be the way to go, you will get much better
reception range.

Edward

At 02:16 14 March 2019, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Ramy,

Thanks. I'm seeing ADS-B targets as blue triangles on the map, but I can
on=
ly see range, relative altitude and vario reading when I go to the FLARM
Ra=
dar screen - which doesn't have a map background.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:11:30 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
At least on my Dell Streak the flarm and ADSB (but not PCAS) targets

are
=
showing in the moving map as tiny small blue arrows. There may be a
setting=
to enable this, don=E2=80=99t recall of the top of my head. Also I
believ=
e there is no buffer time so they come and go quickly as the reception
fluc=