TOW PLANE Accident

Old March 13th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default TOW PLANE Accident

Name one case of kiting occouring from low tow. I can’t recall a single incident here, where we only use low tow.
It’s simple physics for goodness sake.
Old March 13th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 7:10:12 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Name one case of kiting occouring from low tow. I can’t recall a single incident here, where we only use low tow.
It’s simple physics for goodness sake.

Somewhere (in this thread iirc) is a report on simulating kiting accidents at altitude and low tow being no better. As for citing a real world low tow tug upset I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any. Not due to increased safety of low tow but due to how universal high tow is. And if there is one I'm sure the evangelical lowtowers would claim the pilot got high first. The lazy procedural golden bullet isn't the answer, the answer is paying attention for five minutes.
Old March 13th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

So......is the country glider group a better info source of tug crashes
based on tow type or the country aviation group better?

What are the numbers.......????

Out of control is out of control. How on earth does tow position affect
this?

I doubt anyone would disagree with the "out of control" assertion; certainly
not me.

As to the trailing question, if we apply the concept "this" NOT to the "out of
control" bit, but to the "tow position" bit, then I suspect there may quite
possibly be some "useful insights" to be inferred from a "ballpark study" of
various countries' tow-fatalities-by-kiting rate.

I first learned of a fatal kiting crash ca. 1972 - before I obtained my
license - from a sheaf of Miles Coverdale's "Safety Corner" columns shoved at
me by my club's Chief Instructor, accompanied by a blunt, "Read these and tell
me what lesson your learn from them." The crash occurred at Heber City, UT,
ca. 1966...K-8 behind a Super Cub, IIRC. (I've become aware of a depressing
'minor stream' of 'em ever since.)

Terrified I wouldn't meet his expectations (he wasn't MY instructor), I read
the sheaf twice, all the while fretting I'd fail Jack's (the instructor) test.
Upon working up my nerve to return the handout, when Jack asked what I'd
learned, I (very tentatively) offered up words to the effect: Um...don't be
stupid? Most every crunch described seems-to-me to be mostly pilot error.
(Jack was pleased.)

Never seen any need to change that fundamental assessment.

That said, the only two countries known to me in which kiting fatalities have
occurred are the US and Great Britain (both 'above-the-wake' countries). I'm
unaware of any in Australia (Exclusively low tow?) or Germany/France (High
tow? Not every launch is by winch). I'm certainly open to further edification,
here.

With a nod to statistical analysis, I'm unconvinced *only* the US and Great
Britain train pilots who can't who can't remain in control while on high
tow...but I could be wrong! And - IF true - a complete absence of kiting
fatalities beginning from a position 'below the wake' *might* mean more than
'the US and Great Britain have a training/PIC problem no other countries' have.

I'd love to be further educated by those more knowledgeable than I regarding
tow-position-methodology taught in Germany and France, AND someone's
'reasonably-knowledgeable-thanks-to-longer-term-interest in such safety data'
take on Germsny's/France's aerotow fatality histories.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 13th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

I'd love to be further educated by those more knowledgeable than I regarding
tow-position-methodology taught in Germany and France, AND someone's
'reasonably-knowledgeable-thanks-to-longer-term-interest in such safety data'
take on Germsny's/France's aerotow fatality histories.

Bob W.

Hi Bob,

I can't provide any 'aerotow fatality history data' but the tow position we were taught in Germany was 'keep the wheels of the tow-plane on the horizon'. I towed behind a Taylorcraft Auster, Pa-18, Morane Ralley, Remoquer DR400, etc. and it always worked well for me - and the tow pilot. The tow ropes were always 60+m.

Uli
'AS'

Old March 13th 19, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Yep Australia is exclusively low tow, with a couple of rare types with a belly hook only that must use high, the Diamant comes to mind.
Whilst I can understand kiting from a belly hook, I would have thought a nose hook would be better in this aspect. For many years the GFA made nose hooks mandatory on all imported gliders.
Ive just recently done my first few tows on a belly hook, as my glider (DG202-17C) has no nose hook, and $5K au seems excessive. No issues so far.
From below the wake you have much more time to prevent a kiting incident before it gets serious, and the tug disappears below the nose.
I stay as low as possible after liftoff (top of tug fin height) and wait until the tug climbs above me, then follow in station. Ive never got even above the wake, as
the turbulence clearly unmissable indicates the out of position, as opposed to high tow, where the air you kite into is no different, giving no warning.
Twice I have released the tow at low level, once thru tug fuel runout, and once where I got higher than I liked, and when I couldn’t be sure I could get back in station in time for the tow plane
to safely take off. In both cases, the tug pilots said it would probably have been ok, but thanked me for making sure.
Old March 13th 19, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 7:10:12 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Name one case of kiting occouring from low tow. I can’t recall a single incident here, where we only use low tow.
It’s simple physics for goodness sake.

You've made it perfectly clear that you don't understand the physics.

It's all been covered.

READ.

T8
Old March 13th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/12/2019 7:55 PM, AS wrote:

I'd love to be further educated by those more knowledgeable than I
regarding tow-position-methodology taught in Germany and France, AND
someone's 'reasonably-knowledgeable-thanks-to-longer-term-interest in
such safety data' take on Germsny's/France's aerotow fatality histories.

snip...

I can't provide any 'aerotow fatality history data' but the tow position we
were taught in Germany was 'keep the wheels of the tow-plane on the
horizon'. I towed behind a Taylorcraft Auster, Pa-18, Morane Ralley,
Remoquer DR400, etc. and it always worked well for me - and the tow pilot.
The tow ropes were always 60+m.

Thanks for the feedback!

Since this thread seems 'to have natural drift' (kinda like some glider pilots
when towing!), indulge another anecdotal input.

'Somewhen along the line' I towed in a lightish glider behind a significantly
more powerful/new-type-to-me tug. The sight picture minorly flummoxed me for a
bit, to the point where I had time to ponder 'the weird intermittent
vibration' I'd not before noticed in the ship. It was the wake, of course, a
fact I proved to myself by 'vertically messing about with it' by way of
establishing 'that tug's proper sight picture.'

The (one) time (on a BFR) I messed about with 'below the wake' towing, it was
immediately obvious when one's sight picture 'needed vertical refinement' from
the empennage entering the wake as one 'drifted too high.' Too low, and
'visual alarm' and a crick in one's neck were obvious telltales!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 14th 19, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

T8 You’ve made it perfectly clear you will stick to your view, regardless of the obvious extra risk you put your tow pilots in. Ive read plenty thanks and the facts are clear to me,
as are the physics. Let’s put it really simply for you, we don’t have kiting incidents from low tow. Even you should understand that..
Old March 14th 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Deep breath........

We all have our say and thoughts.

I can't say a dumb move on the glider end won't hurt/kill the tug pilot. Sorta regardless of what tow position you started in.
I am curious if any meaningful data exists that show a safer tow position.

Harsh choice of words, but as T8 stated, "out of control is out of control".

Soooo....let's attempt to keep this civil and "maybe" we learn something worthwhile.....
Old March 19th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

The NTSB has just issued the Final Report with Probable Cause on this accident:

Probable Cause and Findings
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
The tow plane pilot's loss of airplane control for reasons that could not be determined based on
the available evidence. Contributing to the accident was the glider instructor's diversion of
attention away from the tow airplane which resulted in his delay in releasing the tow rope once
the tow plane was no longer visible from the glider cockpit.

Full Report:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 7:01:48 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
Though the final report w/any probable cause is scheduled for this Wednesday (3/13), there are a few details that perplex me. Video analysis (segment #2)indicates the spoiler handle starts to move aft at (in seconds?) 5.14s, then is near full aft by 9.21s until 11.13s when it "starts to move forward". Near the end of the epoch, the release handle moves several inches, then dangles, coincident with a snapping sound. The glider PIC reported deploying brakes when he saw the towplane below to the right with slack in the line. He stated,"and the[n] released the towrope." Partial to full brake handle aft for about 6 seconds, most while tug/glider still connected it seems (tho maybe wrong). Witnesses told the PIC they didn't think he pulled the tug's tail up; some of the written docs bear this out. Video stills recorded the tug's elevator position.