Battery safety (againish)

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Battery safety (againish)

kinsell wrote on 3/16/2019 9:46 PM:

Many of us are flying with multi-cell LiFePO4 batteries that have internal
wiring and are not filled with resin.* Is that a problem?* Or is the location of
the batteries in this specific glider such that the resin is advisable?* A
battery fire anywhere in a glider (even without a fuel tank) is catastrophic.
OTOH I havn't heard of any fires with this type of battery.* It's the
lithium-polymer battery pack (also much larger, with many more cells) in the FES
systems that has had fires.

Well, the service bulletin talks about an LFP that burned.* There was a fire in an
EB-28 in Finland last year with a 10 A-H LFP.* Here's a video of an LFP burning:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...-fires.102016/

There have been claims that LFP's don't burn, but that's simply not true.

The Aerovoltz battery that burned did not have a BMS; in fact, none of the
Aerovoltz batteries have a BMS (battery management system). I would not want to
use one, even though the short engine runs typical of self-launchers means
problems would be less likely than in airplanes. The Earth-X batteries all have a
BMS, seem better characterized, and I would trust them a lot more.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I used LiFePO4 batteries in my former LAK-17a for about 3 years before
selling the glider.* I charged them out of the glider for the first year
and, thereafter, left them on the provided smart chargers in the glider
between flights.* They had battery management systems built-in.* Of
course, there's practically no vibration in a pure glider...

--
Dan, 5J

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
PDA Battery [email protected] Soaring 4 December 28th 13 11:02 AM
USA / The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Safety Seminars 2008 [email protected] Soaring 0 November 9th 07 12:15 AM
Find a Safety Pilot in your area with Safety Pilot Club Safety Pilot Club Instrument Flight Rules 0 December 29th 06 04:51 AM
The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Safety Seminars Hit The Road in the USA [email protected] Soaring 0 September 11th 06 03:48 AM