Power Flarm Antena Mounting

Old February 17th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Power Flarm Antena Mounting

List,
Am installing PF Brick into a 27. At first I was going to address the 27/29 Yahoo list but thought I might reach a wider range of experience here. I flew all of last season including a contest with a PF portable on a Williams Soaring mount on the glare shield and it worked great (And yes it did receive ADS-B).
The 27 is a bit different than the 20 (Less room and Carbon fiber thru most of the cockpit area) and I was wondering about what pilots have done with antenna placement. I have seen the Butterfly site and the hall of shame so I think I have a bead on what NOT to do. My idea is to drill/cut holes in the glare shield and mount the Flarm dipole and GPS antenna from the bottom with Velcro (TM) so they will pull loose in an unplanned evacuation (OK Bailout). There were pictures on the PF site (Not the hall of shame portion)that showed the antennas mounted UNDER the glare shield. This isn't right is it?
Also, the old portable was easy to set up by just scrolling thru the pages and following prompts. As I understand this will not be possible with the Brick. I am using an LxNav Flarmveiw so should be able to update with an SD card. I will be using the PF GPS for my SN10. Will this call for other configuration changes other than the Baud rate.
Thanks
Old February 17th 13, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can read about my glareshield installation on my webpage
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu...flarm-antennas
With my side-hinged canopy, ejection is not a problem, but in any way, in my installation, the 2 antennas are just protruding through the glareshield and not attached to the glareshield at all.

My PF brick is feeding the Trig TT21 for ADS-B out and the Ipaq310/LK8000 for improved GPS data, barometric data and Flarm data on the flight computer.

The configuration file is loaded on a USB memory stick and uploaded once at power-up.

Try to keep your antennas above all metal objects, like instrument boxes, panel frame, etc.

3U.
Old February 17th 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

You're on the right track...

Position the FLARM antenna as high as possible (tip just below canopy).
Pay attention to the FLARM note on antenna separation.
Updates and log file is via USB, not uSD card.
If you're going to use the FLARM logger, you'll want easy
access to the USB port without removing canopy, for example
install in your panel one of these:
http://www.sfcable.com/10U2-PM101-E.html

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 17th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:31:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:

My PF brick is feeding the Trig TT21 for ADS-B out

From http://www.trig-avionics.com/adsb.html

"The GPS receiver used must be an IFR certified receiver."

The PF brick GPS is IFR certified??

So feeding PF brick GPS to Trig TT21 works? And it is legal?
Old February 18th 13, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:28:46 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
You're on the right track...

Position the FLARM antenna as high as possible (tip just below canopy).

Pay attention to the FLARM note on antenna separation.

Updates and log file is via USB, not uSD card.

If you're going to use the FLARM logger, you'll want easy

access to the USB port without removing canopy, for example

install in your panel one of these:

http://www.sfcable.com/10U2-PM101-E.html

Hope that helps,

Best Regards, Dave

If you have 27a you can probably install the antennas in the nose as there is no (or little) carbon in the nose (at least not in early production). So far this seem to work well for me but I did not yet had the chance to use the range tool to confirm. I would like to hear from other Schleicher owners if nose installation is working well for them.

Ramy
Old February 18th 13, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll be interested to see how the nose mounted antennas work out as I have a pure glassfibre ASW too. Some pilots have reported good results with antennas mounted there so I guess as long as the antennas aren't too close to the rudder pedals it would be a viable option.

One thing I find interesting is that the brick manual includes the following as ideal FLARM antenna locations:

" - On the coaming of the instrument panel, in front of the compass (4 inch, 10cm. minimal distance to compass)
- I the tail fin of the glider (use low loss 50 Ohm RF cable for the antenna cable extension)
- Behind the pilot's head in the fuselage (not in gliders with carbon fuselage)"

The "Hall Of Shame" shows a portable unit mounted behind the pilot's head so I assume in this case the problem was that the antenna was very close and almost parallel to the wing pin handle?

I notice they also recommend 1ft. spacing between all the antennas with the brick.
Old February 18th 13, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I have a DG-300, which means there's empty space forward of my
instrument pod... But here's how I did it, and I see targets out to 8
miles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/noel_wade/8048620724/
(note the mounting arm is about 8" long and plastic)

Enjoy,

--Noel

Old February 19th 13, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I also did the installation inside the 27 "A" nose, as documented below in Peter Kelly's 26.
Testing it with another PF-equipped glider (Walt Rogers, Discus 2) it seemed to work fine, perhaps better than most of the other half a dozen or so OzFLARM and Swiss FLARM equipped gliders I've flown.
Jim

http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=1487
Old February 19th 13, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From http://www.trig-avionics.com/adsb.html

"The GPS receiver used must be an IFR certified receiver."

The PF brick GPS is IFR certified??

So feeding PF brick GPS to Trig TT21 works? And it is legal?

Thanks for the responses to all of you. My 27 has black weave (I assume CF) all the way to the nose. It is the last serial number before the B. Looked at all the pictures on the links and will still plan for the Flarm antenna on the glare shield (I checked today and it fits-Barely) and might consider putting the GPS and ADS-B antenna just below the glare shield. Going to start with temp mounting made from cardboard.
I mentioned the SD card for updating because I am using the LxNav Flarmview but I will still install the USB cord because flights cannot be downloaded on the LxNav. I have 2.6 and plan to do some logging with it.

Old February 19th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From http://www.trig-avionics.com/adsb.html

"The GPS receiver used must be an IFR certified receiver."

The PF brick GPS is IFR certified??

So feeding PF brick GPS to Trig TT21 works? And it is legal?

Thanks for the responses to all of you. My 27 has black weave (I assume CF) all the way to the nose. It is the last serial number before the B. Looked at all the pictures on the links and will still plan for the Flarm antenna on the glare shield (I checked today and it fits-Barely) and might consider putting the GPS and ADS-B antenna just below the glare shield. Going to start with temp mounting made from cardboard.

I mentioned the SD card for updating because I am using the LxNav Flarmview but I will still install the USB cord because flights cannot be downloaded on the LxNav. I have 2.6 and plan to do some logging with it.

Oops, I meant to say it fits between the canopy and glareshield barely.

Power Flarm Display SteveB_Z5 Soaring 64 March 25th 13 09:17 PM
Power FLARM deliveries? Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 June 5th 12 01:33 PM
Power FLARM question Kimmo Hytoenen Soaring 26 March 23rd 12 05:28 AM
Strobe Power Supply Mounting Plate Mike Spera Owning 0 January 1st 07 06:06 PM
Cherokee Strobe Power Supply Mounting Plate Mike Spera Owning 4 June 24th 06 12:47 AM