Parental "informed consent" for underage glider flights

Old April 17th 13, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Parental "informed consent" for underage glider flights

I was talking to a big fan of motocross about a 13 year old who became a quadriplegic after a motocross accident.

What is the difference between an adult consenting to taking the risks of flying and a parent assuming those risks for a child?

My dad let me do plenty of dangerous stuff when I was a kid, but he would occasionally draw the line and say no.

How do people sort this out?

When an adult asks me whether soaring is dangerous, I will tell them that I know of two cases in the last ten years where a person died on their first glider flight. No one has yet to cancel their plans when I told them that.
Old April 17th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:16:19 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
I was talking to a big fan of motocross about a 13 year old who became a quadriplegic after a motocross accident.

What is the difference between an adult consenting to taking the risks of flying and a parent assuming those risks for a child?

My dad let me do plenty of dangerous stuff when I was a kid, but he would occasionally draw the line and say no.

How do people sort this out?

When an adult asks me whether soaring is dangerous, I will tell them that I know of two cases in the last ten years where a person died on their first glider flight. No one has yet to cancel their plans when I told them that.

When someone asks me if soaring is dangerous I usually compare it to other forms of flying and various outdoor sports. Check with your insurance (Or your clubs insurance) about parental consent.

Old April 17th 13, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Just don't use the cliche that the most dangerous part of soaring is the driving to the airport...

Ramy
Old April 17th 13, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner[_2_]

K wrote:
[...]

I normally reply that "I don't know how to answer the
question; is horse riding/scuba/motorcycling/rugby
dangerous? I preferred my daughter to fly gliders rather
than go horse riding and motorbiking"

A useful way is to look at travel insurance policies.
They typically have a range of add-ons, each range
for a different group of "adventure activities". That
gives a definite basis for comparison with other
activities.
Old April 17th 13, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

I fly out of Sky Sailing in Warner Springs, CA When I take any passengers they have to sign a release (link below from their website). I'm pretty sure it applies to anyone who climbs into one of their aircraft in any capacity. There is a part in there that says: "...I CERTIFY THAT I AM OVER THE AGE OF 18, OR WITH SIGNATURE OF GUARDIAN."

http://www.ravenhorde.com/skysailing...ELEASE_SSI.pdf

Used to be that folks took responsibility for their own decisions unless someone tried to hurt them intentionally. Now if someone trips on their own shoelace they want to blame someone else, and there's an army of lawyers waiting to take their case. I would suspect some kind of release is a pretty darn good idea these days.

BP