Flarm Butterfly display

Old May 5th 13, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flarm Butterfly display

Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2.8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation.
Stephen S9
Old May 5th 13, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:48:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2..8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation.

Stephen S9

I recently upgraded with 2.79 with no problems - to 3.1. One thing that is different in the release notes - mine took about 10 minutes, once it was "loading" (it seemed longer).

From the release notes CL31_en.pdf:

Butterfly firmware/FlarmNET update on Co
1. Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to a USB stick.
2. Connect stick to Core.
3. Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
4. Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with 'WAITING', then 'LOADING'.
5. Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).

I only put the .bfw file in the top level of my USB stick - no flarm config, no .bfn file... then I did the .bfn flarmnet separately, after I moved the .bfw to a file folder within the USB stick.

I had good luck doing each update - Brick, then display, then flarmnet separately.

Good luck - the better fonts on the Butterfly display make it better.

Dan

Old May 5th 13, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:48:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2..8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation.

Stephen S9

Do give it another try, worked great for me during testing.
As mentioned by Dan, Butterfly SW update provides much better readability.
Same mechanism updates both SW and your FLARMnet data in the Butterfly,
so you'll want to do this periodically as folks get their data into
FLARMnet.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: If readers haven't already registered on FLARMnet, do so !
Old May 5th 13, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duke

Is the website PowerFlarm.US obsolete? I do not see a 2.79 release there.

Tom
Old May 5th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will try again later today. Using:
Flarm core update file: PF2.79_5538.fw (already done)
Butterfly display update file: bfd_3_1.bfw
Flarmnet update file: america_0016b2.bfn
S9
Old May 5th 13, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:52:26 AM UTC-5, Duke wrote:
Is the website PowerFlarm.US obsolete? I do not see a 2.79 release there.

Tom

Try he http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support

S9
Old May 5th 13, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:48:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2..8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation.

Stephen S9

Just tried updating the Butterfly display again with update file in the root of the USB Stick connected to the core. (I am not using the Butterfly update cable).

I tried first by just turning on the core. No update on the Butterfly.

I next tried holding the knob in on the butterfly display and then turning on the CORE unit with USB stick connected. The Butterfly display said "UPDATE Mode" and scrolled across the screen "Wsiting" . Nothing happened after 10 minutes of waiting.

Now the display does show 3.0

Is my procedure right?
S9
Old May 5th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:10:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:48:06 PM UTC-5, wrote: Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2.8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation. Stephen S9 Just tried updating the Butterfly display again with update file in the root of the USB Stick connected to the core. (I am not using the Butterfly update cable). I tried first by just turning on the core. No update on the Butterfly. I next tried holding the knob in on the butterfly display and then turning on the CORE unit with USB stick connected. The Butterfly display said "UPDATE Mode" and scrolled across the screen "Wsiting" . Nothing happened after 10 minutes of waiting. Now the display does show 3.0 Is my procedure right? S9

Updating with PowerFLARM®
(Updates through PowerFLARM will be available early summer 2013 with
PowerFLARM Software 2.8)
Butterfly firmware/FlarmNET update on Co
1. Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to a USB stick.
2. Connect stick to Core.
3. Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
4. Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with 'WAITING', then 'LOADING'.
5. Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).
Butterfly firmware/FlarmNET update on Portable:
1. Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to micro SD card.
2. Insert micro SD card into slot.
3. Activate menu entry Info - Disp. update.
4. Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
5. Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with 'WAITING', then 'LOADING'.
6. Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).
PowerFLARM

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 5th 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:48:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Installed the core and 57mm butterfly display today. Upgrade to 2.79 went smooth. Tried to upgrade the butterfly display to 3.01 from the core. Negative on the butterfly upgrade. The release notes say it does update from the core. I could not find any special procedures. The website says version 2..8 should also upgrade the butterfly directly from core.. so maybe the next release. Antenna's mounted on glare shield of V2. Let me know if anyone wants some pics installation.

Stephen S9

Ok... I'll wait for 2.8. Thanks S9
Old May 5th 13, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Good luck - the better fonts on the Butterfly display make it better.

Yes, the fonts are bigger and easier to see. Trouble is that some
data now extends off the edge of the display and is truncated in
vertical/portrait mode.

Looks like they needed a bit more testing before releasing this
update.

BTW caution when updating flarmnet . The latest file is not auto
selected and I accidentally loaded a version earlier than the one I
already had installed. Had to delete all the old BFNs on the memory
stick to make it load the correct file.

Andy

Power Flarm Display SteveB_Z5 Soaring 64 March 25th 13 08:17 PM
Updating Software on Butterfly 57 mm version 2.1 display w/o Cable? 3Y Soaring 7 December 31st 12 12:50 PM
Butterfly external display questions Andy[_1_] Soaring 30 October 15th 12 07:20 AM
This Just In- Butterfly [email protected] Soaring 6 February 17th 12 09:00 PM
Best PDA/PNA for FLARM display? Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 14 August 28th 11 09:24 AM