A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Power Flarm Display

Old March 22nd 16, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

Default Power Flarm Display

Readers,
Was wondering what pilots are doing for Flarm displays. Ive used an LXNav Flarm View for years but with the upgrades to SYM it seems a dedicated screen is redundant. I am in the process of off season maintenance and will probably ditch the Flarm View display unless I can figure out what it does that See You Mobile does not.
Don't want to turn this into an argument about how safety and modern technology makes for bad pilots. Ive noticed many people running SYM opt to not install a separate display. Whats the logic behind this.
Thanks
Old March 22nd 16, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Speaking of redundancy... isn't almost every instrument redundant? Of any instrument I think I would want as dedicated would be a Flarm display. Dose the screen automatically turn to flarm view on See You, any pda, or navigation device when the Flarm is activated?

Don't mean to still your thread but why would anyone need any instrument other than: transponder, Flarm Core, Electronic Vario like LX Nav S10, a larger dedicated navigation display, and 2 switchable batteries? Would that not cover everything? Is it old school to have mechanical instruments in addition to electronic or is it for the what if ?
Old March 22nd 16, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)
external usenet poster

https://goo.gl/photos/G8MidKb1GEmcV8mo6

Like this?
Old March 22nd 16, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R. Suppards
external usenet poster

At 12:12 22 March 2016, Tom TK wrote:

Like this?

Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Rb9qmeMGNzk

Old March 22nd 16, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi,

I like that I can change PowerFLARM range settings using the FlarmView - no
need to tweak the configuration file. I don't think SeeYou Mobile can do
that. Also, I like that the FlarmView displays only traffic. It is less
cluttered than a PDA or flight computer - making it easier to view traffic
threats with a quick glance.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"K m" wrote in message

Readers,
Was wondering what pilots are doing for Flarm displays. Ive used an LXNav
Flarm View for years but with the upgrades to SYM it seems a dedicated
screen is redundant. I am in the process of off season maintenance and will
probably ditch the Flarm View display unless I can figure out what it does
that See You Mobile does not.
Don't want to turn this into an argument about how safety and modern
technology makes for bad pilots. Ive noticed many people running SYM opt to
not install a separate display. Whats the logic behind this.
Thanks

Old March 22nd 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

I use a Butterfly display with SYM and find they are complimentary rather than redundant. Each provides the information in slightly different form. The Butterfly is better at tracking the closest target and giving climb rates. SYM gives me the big picture of all the ships around me and at greater distance for situational awareness.

I prefer the Butterfly warning for collision over the SYM verbal warnings. At high speed it is difficult to hear the SYM warnings and respond without needing to pull your view back in the cockpit and read them.
Old March 22nd 16, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 6:12:54 AM UTC-6, Tom (TK) wrote:

Like this?

Tom, Nice panel. I like that the Breakers not cluttering the panel and still convenient to get to.
Casey, Yes, much of this stuff is redundant but with a Standard category ship there are certain minimum instruments that you must have. For example I purchased a new Winter altimeter (Certified-$$$) and I never look at it because the altitude on my S7 is easier to read.
Paul and Tim, These are my sentiments. As SYM gets better I find myself relying in the Flarm View less and less. I do like the audio on the FV.
Suppards, That video was silly. I couldn't listen to that dumb song and shut it off before it was finished.
Thanks for the input guys.
Kirk

Old March 22nd 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 9:04:28 PM UTC-7, K m wrote:
Readers,
Was wondering what pilots are doing for Flarm displays. Ive used an LXNav Flarm View for years but with the upgrades to SYM it seems a dedicated screen is redundant. I am in the process of off season maintenance and will probably ditch the Flarm View display unless I can figure out what it does that See You Mobile does not.
Don't want to turn this into an argument about how safety and modern technology makes for bad pilots. Ive noticed many people running SYM opt to not install a separate display. Whats the logic behind this.
Thanks

I have a Power Flarm and no dedicated display. Any warnings are called out in loud, clear voice warnings by the Butterfly Vario, and also shown on iGlide. Traffic that is not a collision threat is always shown on the iGlide screen. I don't see what a dedicated display would add. I would worry a bit if the only warnings were voice warnings from a tiny little PDA speaker. The voice warnings are the best part of the system.
Old March 22nd 16, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 8:16:48 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 9:04:28 PM UTC-7, K m wrote:
Readers,
Thanks

I have a Power Flarm and no dedicated display. Any warnings are called out in loud, clear voice warnings by the Butterfly Vario, and also shown on iGlide. Traffic that is not a collision threat is always shown on the iGlide screen. I don't see what a dedicated display would add. I would worry a bit if the only warnings were voice warnings from a tiny little PDA speaker. The voice warnings are the best part of the system.

Jon, does the Butterfly give you Mode C transponder warnings?
Last I heard it didn't, because Mode C is history in Europe.
I've tried it, but never saw any Mode C warnings so disconnected a while ago.
Jim
Using LX FlarmView57 and ClearNav 2 for displays, much as others have commented.
I like the CN audible warnings, try not to look at any display.
Old March 22nd 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

My Butterfly showed me a tight Mode C
ring that turned out to be a Cardinal
coming up my 6 from an airport several
miles East.

When I spotted the ring I began looking
and rocking my wings.

I'm not sure whether SYM displays xpdr
and ADS-B. I definitely see them on the