Glider preparation for a competition

Old March 14th 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Glider preparation for a competition

hope we didn’t scare him into taking up golf!
Old March 15th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Coincidentally this is my first year flying in a competition. (Region 8 Sport class). Really good info thanks a lot!
Old March 15th 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

As Andy mentioned read the rules several times and try and have a mentor to explain how the start works, turnpoints and the finish so you don't take a zero.
Another Gotcha is make sure your computer is set to Statute Miles, Not Nautical miles. Both Andy and Hank have some real world advice in there, I'd head in that direction. If you treat your first few events as a cross country event rather than a contest you'll have more fun. Try not to bend anything and be safe.
Old March 15th 19, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:08:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm flying in my first gliding competition this year...

Consider first crewing at a contest - you'll learn A LOT
and it'll really help you understand how to prepare.

Old March 15th 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Decent advice.......

Way back when, I crewed to quite a few.
When "I competed", we had nonscoring events (for some.....the "little guys meets".....ran as a contest, but no points/rankings.......you did as a regional, peeps helped you figure it out.....way back in the film days.....).

In general to this thread......all the glider prep in the world will NOT substitute for stick time.
Today.......knowing your glide computer, etc., helps almost as much as glider prep.
Yes, trailer is ready to go, not too fussy.
Chat with any crew......(I used to crew for a modest pay).
Training of the nut behind the stick is usually undervalued.

Go have fun......if you end up at 1/2 way on the last day....decent......work your way up.
Buying the "latest and greatest" for ship or instruments does NOT substitute for stick time.

For me.....when I flew a lot with good stuff......I was likely middling at best......but I sometimes worked a former US team pilot on local flights.

Spending big bucks for 98% does NOT mean you will win.
Make sure what ya got is working correctly, then spend stick time.

My $0.02......
Old March 15th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/14/2019 8:27 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
Coincidentally this is my first year flying in a competition. (Region 8
Sport class). Really good info thanks a lot!

Have fun!

When I initially bought 15-meter-glass (1st generation; 1981), I reasoned that
- if I ever 'went the contest route' (which I never really did) - not until my
score consistently reached within 10% of a contest's winner would it make any
'financial sense' to buy a higher-performing ship in the same class...if
winning contests was my goal. Were I at the same stage today, I might use 20%
rather than 10%, but the same principle seems as valid now as I thought it was
then.

In any event, lotsa good, fundamental-advice upon which to noodle and from
which to pick...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 15th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Ya Know, I understand the "crew first" Idea.
NO WAY could I do that thou, hang out on the ground for a week watching everyone fly while my perfectly good plane sits in the trailer, but that's just me. Just get a mentor, its not that hard to figure it out.
The OP says he has some XC experience, now go get some more.
Sitting on the ground, while everyone else heads for the clouds, is not gonna be much fun.
Old March 15th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 3:42:17 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ya Know, I understand the "crew first" Idea.
NO WAY could I do that thou, hang out on the ground for a week watching everyone fly while my perfectly good plane sits in the trailer, but that's just me. Just get a mentor, its not that hard to figure it out.
The OP says he has some XC experience, now go get some more.
Sitting on the ground, while everyone else heads for the clouds, is not gonna be much fun.

Nick, you should try crewing for your own glider, rather than it sitting in the trailer on a hot 18,000' scattered cu day.
Not as bad as it appears... For one thing you get to enjoy various brews from P7's cooler, with no harRASsment about how bad it might be for you.
Jim
Old March 16th 19, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

There's no reason you can't fly off the contest unless the sponsor
closes flying to everyone but contestants.Â* By all means, hang out,
observe, ask questions (without being intrusive), and then, after the
grid launches, take off yourself to enjoy the flying.Â* Try to get back
before the leaders so you can watch everyone come home and, perhaps, get
on a retrieve crew.Â* It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't give up a week of
flying...

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 16th 19, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:08:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm flying in my first gliding competition this year. I've flown a reasonable number of XC tasks over the last couple of years and thought it would be fun to enter a small local competition.

My glider is in pretty good condition and I'll be polishing it before the competition, but what other tips do people have for preparing a glider to try and get an edge in competition?

Thanks

Ash

Good luck, Ash. I would say, show up and have fun. The rest will work itself out. Find a group and get around the course. Seeing that home airport is like nothing you have ever done if it's your first time. And yes, you can scream out loud when you see it since nobody can hear but the birds!

Does anyone have a checklist of items if you land out? I'm sure someone has things that I don't think of as I'm sitting here in A/C, drinking coffee.... This thread is right up my alley since I have an empty OX tank to fill with those items and other things.

Thanks

Gary
"SQ"