San Diego??

Old November 4th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

Default San Diego??

Anyone here based in San Diego?

We have rental property there which is presently vacant. My wife loves the
weather in San Diego and had hinted that she wouldn't mind living in the
house. (We presently live in Tacoma, Washington--weather---ugh).

Up here, I have a nice hangar, a fairly short drive to the airport (20
miles) a friendly FSDO (I'm a retired guy with an IA, who does a bit of work
on the side to support my own flying). The airspace, while in the Seattle
Class B, isn't too crowded, and is easy to navigate.

I an curious as to how friendly the San Diego area is aviation wise. Are
hangars impossible? How scarce and expensive are tie downs? (I have a fabric
airplane and am not too keen on leaving it outside) How much trouble will I
have keeping my IA current? Will I have a problem working on my own plane
and others on the ramp at most of the G.A. fields in the area?

Just how bad is the airspace? Looking at the San Diego chart, it seems like
a nightmare.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A

Old November 5th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Nov 4, 12:41 pm, "Tri-Pacer" wrote:
[...]

Paul;
Not sure where your place is, but I have been in North San Diego
Country for 15 years now. Personally I think the following airports
are GA friendly in varying degrees (F70/French Valley, L18/Fallbrook,
KRNM/Ramona, KSEE/Gillespie and KMYF/Montgomery). I really don't know
Brown field at the south end of the county. KOKB/Oceanside airport
is improving and may be a great GA airport in a few years, but it has
been embroiled in efforts to close it in the past and is just now
getting to a spot where somebody could consider it for tie downs. CRQ/
Carlsbad has pretty much become a corporate jet center, although there
is still significant GA activity there. (Note that French Valley is
actually in Riverside county, but is pretty close to San Diego County)

I am based at L18 (12 mile drive from home) and there are quite a few
hangars available (T hangars start at $450). No problems with working
on planes either. Here is a link to a live web cam of some of the
hangars http://www.l18airpark.com/l18_airpark_webcams.html.

Regarding the airspace, I would recommend a GPS to verify location and
get used to talking to SoCal approach, but it isn't too difficult.
For SEE and MYF I generally enter / exit from predefined routes -
keeps me out of trouble, otherwise I get flight following from
SoCal.

Also, you can expect marine layers, especially in May and June, that
make some of the coastal airports (especially CRQ and KOKB) IFR in
the mornings.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Bruce
N5645F

Old November 6th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Larry

On Nov 5, 3:48?pm, " wrote:
[...]

N5645F- Hide quoted text -

Paul: I saw your post under rec.aviation.homebuilt. I replied there.

Larry/N7003V

Old November 7th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

You needed to quote three or for PAGES of text to tell him this????

Jim