Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

Old August 19th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Euan Kilgour

Default Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

Oh and I went to college.

Old August 19th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:14:53 -0700, Doug Semler
wrote:

Do you have a "family history" of aviation/piloting?

No, other than a father who was a (K)C-97 / (K)C-135 avionics tech for
four years in the military.

Are you an adventure seeker (anything from "true" adrenaline junkee to
"every day is different and brings a new challenge")

Not really. But I do enjoy calculated and educated risks, like
kayaking, mountain biking... I will NOT skydive. G

Are you constantly seeking new challenges?
(subpart) Do you find that you get bored easily?

Yes for challenges, and no, to bored easily. I like to pursue things
to a serious level.

Do you have a "thirst for knowledge" (e.g. would you rather be in
school than working)?

I gain knowledge by working. G

(subpart) Do you find yourself constantly seeking out new things
about flying regularly or do you only look it up when you run across
something you don't know.

I look it up, or seek instruction, when I'm not sure, or doubt myself.

Are you a "control freak" (type-a)?

No. I put myself as capable as the pilot or co-pilot in many
activities. I can lead or follow, but don't enjoy not leading if
someone else isn't capable of truly leading. In other words, if I'm
not leading, someone else needs to truly accept the position and give
the commands. I don't like vague or ill-defined direction in a team
setting. If I'm alone and can fluidly choose directions as they
appear, I can be happy.

Do you have hints of "delusions of grandeur?" or is it more like "I'm
on top of the world when I fly"

Neither.

I enjoy the "dinghy on the ocean" perspective that puts me in the
small perspective that I feel is my true place in the universe. I get
the same feeling from kayaking in the ocean and hiking wilderness.

I get a fragility when I look out of the windows at high altitude.

I'm small, but a speck. The earth is freakin' huge.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

In-between.

If given the choice, would you rather read fiction or an aviation
oriented book?

Non-fiction. It dosen't matter if it's aviation related. I do grab
a stack of Clancy, Coonts, Brown, etc.. paperbacks when I head to the
beach or need to fly commercial.

(For those that use the radio) Do you find that you have always had
good communication skills?

I'm a former working musician. The radio is natural for me. G

Are you left brained or right brained (logic-and-math or Artsy
fartsy)?

Both. I'm an accomplished woodworker, musician, and sound and
software engineer. Most of my activites need a bit of both sides.

. However maybe a question along the lines of "while
in school did you consider yourself to be a good student" would be
better.

I was a crappy student, frequently bored in school, but I've done well
in flight training, vocational woodworking training, music school,
etc... I do really, really, well, and have much greater retention in
hands on type exercises vs. book learning.
Old August 20th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

OK, I wasnt goin' to reply...but your sig tweaked me...I'll post to
that later

wrote:

Do you have a "family history" of aviation/piloting?

Nope...none...zero...zip

Are you an adventure seeker (anything from "true" adrenaline junkee to
"every day is different and brings a new challenge")

hmm...maybe the latter. routine sux. Very risk averse. Though...I
AM actually considering an invitation to parachute form a fellow
pilot.

Are you constantly seeking new challenges?

see previous

(subpart) Do you find that you get bored easily?

uh didnt I just say that ? Can you say ADD-ish?

Do you have a "thirst for knowledge" (e.g. would you rather be in
school than working)?

Some of each.

(subpart) Do you find yourself constantly seeking out new things
about flying regularly or do you only look it up when you run across
something you don't know.

Yes, I do...got my Comm'l ASEL and then went out to learn to fly
gliders. I find a WIDE variety of pilots at the glider club and
always learn sumthin new...not always abt gliders!

(subpart - for instructors) Do you enjoy it when your student "gets
it" or has that "aha! moment?"

N/A (yet)...but I do train at work...and that's a big YES!

Are you a "control freak" (type-a)?

mmm....hmmm...yep...

Do you have hints of "delusions of grandeur?" or is it more like "I'm
on top of the world when I fly"

Top of the world! No delusions...i know who I am and where I stand

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Havent you figured that out yet?
EX_ TRO_VERT with occasional small lapses into introversion.
(Oh, geez, now I'm bipolar as well as ADD...there goes the next
medical!)

If given the choice, would you rather read fiction or an aviation
oriented book?

EASY! Vixen 03...fiction but aviation...maybe Rod Machado's big
pilot book second.

Given another choice, I might rather watch the flying scenes in "The
English Patient"

(For those that use the radio) Do you find that you have always had
good communication skills?

Unfair advantage...Extra Class ham and lots of experience running
radio nets. If anything I'm too chatty on the radio. Doesnt help
that i know a lot of the local ATC folks either .

Are you left brained or right brained (logic-and-math or Artsy
fartsy)?

Left, but finding more of the right as I get older and more patient.
(dad was way left ,mom was way right)

--Don Byrer

Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."
Old August 20th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:03:13 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:14:53 -0700, Doug Semler
wrote in . com:

To play among the clouds as every child imagines. Why lay on your
back wishing you could cavort among the cottony forms when piloting
enables you to fulfill those dreams?

My all time favorite Peanuts from Charles Shultz; an absolute genius!

"Lucy, Linus and Charlie Brown were looking at clouds. Linus said one
formation reminded him of Steven being stoned in the Bible, another
reminded him of British Honduras, and another reminded him of the
sculptor Thomas Ekins. When Lucy asked Charlie Brown what he saw, he
said, "I was going to say I saw a duck and a horsie, but I changed my
mind."

Was in last Sunday's paper again(in color)! One of my favorites
too. Knew it was right away...

--Don

Old August 20th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

Default Doug Semler has it all wrong

DISCLAIMER---good natured fun

OK, so doug is doin' this pilot survey thing...but his sig sez:

Doug Semler
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).
----The answer is 42---; DNRC o-

The answer is 42??? OK, yes to Life , the Universe and
Everything...but...

hey buddy WE are pilots,

The REAL answers a
------------------------------
29.92" (aka 1013mb)
15C
0'

WHAT...ELSE...DO...YOU...NEED TO KNOW?

'cept mebbe 121.5 just in case...

Sorry, couldnt resist!

Don...also a Douglas Adams fan

Old August 20th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

Default Interesting results thus far

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:39:52 -0600, RomeoMike
wrote:

Doug Semler wrote:

Hmmm. We need a control group now g

Also need to know the profile of the pilots who have not answered the
questions. Are they (we) different from those that have?

hmm...are they so introverted that they won't respond...or so
obnoxious that they wouldn't?

WAIT...I fit both...does that make me bipolar?
geez, there goes the medical again...

Old August 20th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

Default Interesting results thus far (was: Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:09:18 -0400, "Doug Semler"
wrote:

[snip]

In addition...It also seems, that at least the posters in this group, have
*very* convoluted senses of humor....Now I don't know what exactly that
indicates though...... g

Healthy active minds...nothing else.

Cuz I said so

Old August 20th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gattman[_2_]

"Don Byrer" wrote in message

Also need to know the profile of the pilots who have not answered the
questions. Are they (we) different from those that have?

hmm...are they so introverted that they won't respond...or so
obnoxious that they wouldn't?

Ultralight pilots that can't hear you and guys who don't use radios. I'd
recommend trying light signals, but, they may still be using monochrome
displays.

Or they missed the survey, like me, and only saw the replies.

-c

Old August 22nd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Byrer

OK, I should apologize for my poor ettiquette...title should have been
"42 isn't the answer" instead of sounding like I was ragging on Doug.
that was not my intent...
Doug's a great guy and is actually doing a fine job with his survey.

--Don Byrer, humbled pilot

Old August 22nd 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Doug Semler

"Don Byrer" wrote in message
OK, I should apologize for my poor ettiquette...title should have been
"42 isn't the answer" instead of sounding like I was ragging on Doug.
that was not my intent...
Doug's a great guy and is actually doing a fine job with his survey.

Bah. My skin is so thick from this Usenet thing that I'm surprised I'm not
inside out yet Don. Not a big deal.
beer click smilie

--
Doug Semler, MCPD
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).
The answer is 42; DNRC o-
Gur Hfrarg unf orpbzr fb shyy bs penc gurfr qnlf, abbar rira
erpbtavmrf fvzcyr guvatf yvxr ebg13 nalzber. Fnq, vfa'g vg?

EAA Survey john smith Piloting 1 August 11th 05 08:19 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Piloting 2 August 15th 04 01:02 AM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Aerobatics 1 August 14th 04 04:22 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Soaring 7 August 14th 04 03:25 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 13th 04 08:03 AM