Hurricane Wilma Damages

Old October 28th 05, 04:43 AM
john smith

Default Hurricane Wilma Damages

Did the ramp tiedown anchors or lines fail? Were any of the tie down
rings in the aircraft broken or pulled out? Were all 4 tie down rings
used (for that matter are there that many in your 152?)

Note the Beech Sierra/Musketeer that appears to have remained tied down.
Cannot tell if the aircraft behind damaged it.
Old October 28th 05, 04:49 AM
George Patterson

Marty from Florida wrote:

My Cessna was destroyed on Sunday by Hurricane Wilma, and I'm heart-broken.

My commiserations. Hope the insurance gives you no trouble.

What was in the hangar with the blue T-bird? Looks like an older jet warbird.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 28th 05, 10:36 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Marty from Florida" marty@-x-x-x- remove -x-x- worth.net writes:

It's Marty again from Wonderful Palm Beach Florida.

My Cessna was destroyed on Sunday by Hurricane Wilma, and I'm heart-broken.
I've uploaded some photos of Lantana Airport, with 3 images of my ex-pride
and joy.

www.worth.net/lantana

Very sorry to hear it. Those are some terrifying pictures.
Old October 28th 05, 10:51 PM
zatatime

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:49:29 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Marty from Florida wrote:

My Cessna was destroyed on Sunday by Hurricane Wilma, and I'm heart-broken.

My commiserations. Hope the insurance gives you no trouble.

What was in the hangar with the blue T-bird? Looks like an older jet warbird.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

I was wondering the same thing. Also from a selfish point of view,
one of the pics had a Cub in it. I could use some paperwork for a
project I'm working on, but I sure don't want to be a vulture waiting
in the wings.

Old October 29th 05, 01:32 PM
Daren & Wendy

"Skyhawk54" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Doe wrote:
Sorry for your loss, but why didn't you move it?

I sure wouldn't let my plane sit there and risk it.

I agree, I wouldn't let mine to sit there and get destroyed either, to
me that is just being negligent. I would figure out someway of moving
it regardless.

Well, we can all look forward to helping guys like Marty get a new plane.
Atleast my insurance is locked in at my current rate for another 12
months.....

Old October 29th 05, 04:24 PM
Skyhawk54

Unfortunally, my insurance expires in 3 months.
I hate to see what my next quote is going to be after all these
hurricanes. May drive me out of aircraft ownership.

Old October 29th 05, 04:29 PM
kristoffer-m20j kristoffer-m20j is offline
Junior Member

Angry

I posted some pictures of HWO on my site http://homepage.mac.com/kristofferp/flying

Notice the Cessna that ripped in half with the tail still tied down!!
Old October 29th 05, 05:51 PM
George Patterson

kristoffer-m20j wrote:

Notice the Cessna that ripped in half with the tail still tied down!!

There's another one there where the main tie-downs held, but the tail tie-down
ring ripped out of the plane.

Old October 30th 05, 12:42 PM
Mike Spera

I agree, I wouldn't let mine to sit there and get destroyed either, to
me that is just being negligent. I would figure out someway of moving
it regardless.

As the man said, there are priorities. He first needed to secure the
home and then move the family. For those who don't have either, maybe
moving the plane gets the top spot on the "to do list".

My insurance company will pay something like $500 for expenses to move
the plane out of harm's way. I might be able to get a ferry pilot to jog
the beast 300 miles or so one way for that amount. The insurers may want
to consider upping the paltry reimbursement to avoid THEIR potential
catastrophic loss.

No hurricanes up here in the Midwest, and tornadoes don't let you know 5
days in advance that they are on the way.

Cheers,
Mike
Old October 30th 05, 07:18 PM
Vaughn

"Marty from Florida" marty@-x-x-x- remove -x-x- worth.net wrote in message
I originally planned on taking the plane north to Georgia, with a departure
on Friday, Oct. 21st. On Thursday the 20th, the storm had stalled and was
weakening over Mexico, with a possible landfall someone near my front
driveway at 2:00pm on Monday. Saturday the storm broke into the Gulf, and
NWS predicted it would weaken, arriving on Florida's west coast as a CAT one
hurricane. This normally means as it moves over land to our shores, it would
slow to a tropical storm. It didn't.

Marty is exactly right. Using exactly the same logic after listening to
the same forecasts, I initially came to the decision to leave the shutters off
of my patio door (I live just east of Lantana airport). At sundown the day
before the storm, I came to my senses and installed the shutters in the dark.
Someone in Boca Raton left the shutter off of their patio door (like I almost
did) and was crushed when it blew in. Marty took a risk with an insured Cessna;
I was about to take that same risk with my home and my life. Which one of us is
the smarter?

Aircraft ownership cuts both ways. While preparing for our FIRST hurricane
last year, I was reflecting that I was happy to be a renter pilot because that
was one less thing to worry about. Three weeks later when the NEXT hurricane
was bearing down on us, I was thinking how nice it would be to own a plane so
that I could fly me and the Mrs. out of the path of the storm (the roads were
hopelessly jammed).

Sorry Marty. Glad you are OK. There are more airplanes out there.

Vaughn (Lantana FL)

Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Owning 67 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 66 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane Dennis cont'd Dan Luke Owning 33 July 19th 05 04:45 AM
Hurricane AllanStern Military Aviation 1 September 16th 04 06:42 PM
Willie McKnight's Hurricane - Photos? Steve Hill Restoration 0 November 21st 03 04:56 AM