Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

Old August 15th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

Default Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

In rec.aviation.student Doug Semler wrote:
Do you have a "family history" of aviation/piloting?

Nope. My uncle flies, but I got him started (long before I earned a
rating) rather than the other way around. His continuing presence as an
active pilot might have helped nudge me along, though.

Are you an adventure seeker (anything from "true" adrenaline junkee to
"every day is different and brings a new challenge")

A year ago I would have said no, now I'll say yes. Cross country soaring
is more adventure than I bargained for and I love every minute.

Are you constantly seeking new challenges?
(subpart) Do you find that you get bored easily?

Yes to both.

Do you have a "thirst for knowledge" (e.g. would you rather be in
school than working)?

Your parenthetical is broken. While I mostly enjoyed school (university,
not this juvenile hall they call school for children), my "thirst for
knowledge" is in many ways better satisfied now that I'm no longer
learning officially.

(subpart) Do you find yourself constantly seeking out new things
about flying regularly or do you only look it up when you run across
something you don't know.

Constantly seeking out new things, frequently followed by going out and
doing them.

Are you a "control freak" (type-a)?

Nope.

Do you have hints of "delusions of grandeur?" or is it more like "I'm
on top of the world when I fly"

On top of the world. I've done some really amazing things but I know I am
but a dust mote compared to the really great pilots.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Introvert.

If given the choice, would you rather read fiction or an aviation
oriented book?

Probably the fiction. I prefer flying over reading about flying, although
doing research in advance of trying something new is always a good thing.

(For those that use the radio) Do you find that you have always had
good communication skills?

Not good, but passable. When I was much younger and doing power flying the
radio was always intimidating. Now it's no big deal, partly because I'm
never talking to ATC, and partly because I just don't have the anxiety
about it I used to.

Are you left brained or right brained (logic-and-math or Artsy
fartsy)?

Real far left. Programmer by trade, specializing in things so esoteric
that I can't even explain what they are to most people.

Or am I missing something soooo obvious that I'll die of embarassment
when it's pointed out to me? Or even worse, is there no measurable
psychological correlation to flying and I'm just out to lunch
(wouldn't be the first time g)

It has been noticed many times in my club that we are extremely heavy in
engineering-type disciplines and advanced degrees. Usually this is pointed
out when we have four or five people with PhDs standing around all trying
to figure out how to get the glider on its dolly so it can go in the
hangar, but that makes it no less true.

Note:
I was thinking about including education history (e.g. are pilots more
likely to be college graduates) but that introduces 2 biases (age and
income) into it. However maybe a question along the lines of "while
in school did you consider yourself to be a good student" would be
better.

Perhaps the simple fact of obtaining a degree isn't relevant (although we
seem to have more advanced degrees than I would expect) but the subject of
those degrees definitely should be. You still have the income bias there,
but not as much. For the record, Computer Science here.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old August 15th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 15, 11:29 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Doug Semler wrote in news:1187190893.204957.59450
@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Because I didn't spend enough time practicing piano

Bertie

LOL!

Old August 15th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dallas

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:14:53 -0700, Doug Semler wrote:

A response of mine in another thread got me to thinking (dangerous, I
know) about what makes a person *want* to become a pilot.

At 6 years old I sat in my father's lap in the cockpit of a DC-3 while we
flew over the Andes. That's still one of the coolest things I've ever
done.

Did that make an aviation lover out of me? That may have done it, but I'll
never know.

I honestly believe it's nature, not nurture. Some people want the window
seat, some people want the aisle seat... I think you're born with it.

--
Dallas
Old August 15th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
george

To much money, spare time and a nearby aerodrome

Old August 15th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Paul kgyy

Do you have a "family history" of aviation/piloting? No
Are you an adventure seeker (anything from "true" adrenaline junkee to
"every day is different and brings a new challenge") No
Are you constantly seeking new challenges? somewhat
(subpart) Do you find that you get bored easily? No
Do you have a "thirst for knowledge" (e.g. would you rather be in
school than working)? No, though work is a learning experience for me and I intentionally went back to work after retiring.
(subpart) Do you find yourself constantly seeking out new things
about flying regularly or do you only look it up when you run across
something you don't know. Yes
(subpart - for instructors) Do you enjoy it when your student "gets
it" or has that "aha! moment?"
Are you a "control freak" (type-a)? no
Do you have hints of "delusions of grandeur?" or is it more like "I'm
on top of the world when I fly" no
Are you an introvert or an extrovert? intro
If given the choice, would you rather read fiction or an aviation
oriented book? yes
(For those that use the radio) Do you find that you have always had
good communication skills? yes
Are you left brained or right brained (logic-and-math or Artsy
fartsy)? yes

Or am I missing something soooo obvious that I'll die of embarassment
when it's pointed out to me? Or even worse, is there no measurable
psychological correlation to flying and I'm just out to lunch
(wouldn't be the first time g)

Note:
I was thinking about including education history (e.g. are pilots more
likely to be college graduates) but that introduces 2 biases (age and
income) into it. However maybe a question along the lines of "while
in school did you consider yourself to be a good student" would be
better. mediocre student until I got to grad school, then excellent

I've asked myself why I spend all this money and time (and sometimes,
anxiety). My wife would tell you that flying restores my soul in some
way. There is some utility value to go places, but that isn't the
primary driver.

There's something magical about being suspended between heaven and
earth that can't be duplicated in any other way. Sometimes commercial
flight is good too, but less and less often anymore.

Old August 15th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman[_2_]

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. It's probably worth a
few answers as well:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/69390684

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old August 15th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RVlust

Interesting. I would have thought the "adventure" part would be
unanimous but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

For me, it's what aviation is all about. Fuel, navigation, airspace,
weather...the risks are always there and they can always be legally
increased or decreased for relaxation or bigger challenges.

Q summary:
I'm the first pilot in my family. The thought of popping out of OVC2500
-SHRA at night is adventure (tho I haven't been there yet). Art/Music
comes natural to me, but I'm far more interested in science and how
things work (and A B17 on take-off roll blows away any Picasso :-). I
don't care what others do as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative
way (control freak?). I enjoy flying with others, but I love flying
alone and I'll take the non-fiction (aviation book) over fiction. I
sometimes have a hard time recognizing ATC instructions, but I don't
have a problem keying the mic and stating "say again".

In article . com,
Doug Semler wrote:

(Trying to steer a thread to the topic of the group g)

A response of mine in another thread got me to thinking (dangerous, I
know) about what makes a person *want* to become a pilot. This has
probably been asked umpteen times before, and will be asked umpteen
times in the future, but I am trying to get a feel for the
psychological aspect that causes a person to WANT to be a pilot. So
this is directed towards non-pilots and students as well. Of course,
every individual is different, but these 2 newsgroups are pretty
directed towards pilots so can be taken as an unscientfic
representative sample.

In some cases looking in Jay's general direction it's because it's
an opportunity for family bonding and whathaveyou. Some cases are
probably your run-of-the-mill "cool factor" cases. And, of course, I
am sure that there are the cases of the "I'm better than you because I
can do something you can't do" syndrome. But I'm wondering if there
isn't some deep commonality amongst most pilots to which we can
point?

Old August 15th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Noel

In article . com,
Doug Semler wrote:

Do you have a "family history" of aviation/piloting?

No

Are you an adventure seeker (anything from "true" adrenaline junkee to
"every day is different and brings a new challenge")

No.

Are you constantly seeking new challenges?

No

(subpart) Do you find that you get bored easily?

No

Do you have a "thirst for knowledge" (e.g. would you rather be in
school than working)?

gawd no.

(subpart) Do you find yourself constantly seeking out new things
about flying regularly or do you only look it up when you run across
something you don't know.

neither

(subpart - for instructors) Do you enjoy it when your student "gets
it" or has that "aha! moment?"

n/a

Are you a "control freak" (type-a)?

no

Do you have hints of "delusions of grandeur?"

no

or is it more like "I'm on top of the world when I fly"

I love flying. does that count?

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

introvert

If given the choice, would you rather read fiction or an aviation
oriented book?

If those are the only two choices: aviation-oriented

(For those that use the radio) Do you find that you have always had
good communication skills?

No.

Are you left brained or right brained (logic-and-math or Artsy
fartsy)?

Left

Or am I missing something soooo obvious that I'll die of embarassment
when it's pointed out to me? Or even worse, is there no measurable
psychological correlation to flying and I'm just out to lunch
(wouldn't be the first time g)

you didn't ask when we knew we wanted to fly.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

EAA Survey john smith Piloting 1 August 11th 05 08:19 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Piloting 2 August 15th 04 01:02 AM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Aerobatics 1 August 14th 04 04:22 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Soaring 7 August 14th 04 03:25 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 13th 04 08:03 AM