Osprey vs. Harrier

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th 03, 08:54 AM
Iain Rae

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Iain Rae wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Iain Rae wrote:
:
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Iain Rae wrote:
: :
: : :As much operational low flying training as possible is carried
: : ut overseas, mainly in Canada and the USA.
: :
: : Well, that would seem to indicate that the US is doing at least as
: : much low-level flying as the RAF. Otherwise, why would they come here
: : to do their training at it whenever possible?
: :
: :Mainly because you and Canada have more wide open spaces than we have.
: :The major limit on low flying is complaints from the civilian population.
:
: Yeah, but if we weren't doing it, we wouldn't have ranges where it's
: allowed so there would be no place here for you to come and do it,
: either.
:
:But it doesn't necessarily follow that you therefore do it as much if
:not more than we do, a number of Universities I've worked at have
:facilities which although they're used for research are used more by
utside agencies since that's the only way they can be funded.

And how much do you think you're paying us for the use of our
low-level ranges? If we weren't using them, we certainly wouldn't
keep them open for you. :-)

For low flying (not weapons delivery) what's involved? An area of
airspace dedicated for use, Military air traffic control to cover the
area and some kind of liasion with the local civilian air traffic
control. I doubt that's going to be all that expensive.