Add on rating review Williams Soaring

Old December 15th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Add on rating review Williams Soaring

I ended up getting my add on glider rating at Williams Soaring. For all the frustration my local club has caused me, earning the add on was easier than a solo check out with my club (Evergreen Soaring at KAWO), not an exaggeration.

I think it took 12 flights or so before I was ready for the checkride at Williams.

Williams Soaring has their stuff together. Safety conscious, highly experienced instructors, nice gliders! The weather is perfect for training flights, very smooth air year round, lots of VFR days, low stress calm atmosphere. Ability to schedule lots of back to back flights. Their CFIG Charlie Hayes is an excellent instructor, he lets you work at your own pace, really seemed to want to help me achieve the goal. He didn't try to re teach me everything I knew, VERY IMPORTANT. He understood the goal, recognized the areas I needed to work on and focused on those areas. I really like how they work with you to make you a better pilot rather than trying to start from square one and re teach you their way.

The checkride with Rex was low stress. Russell Holtz's book prepared me very well along with studying soundings and the RASP. There were no trick questions on the checkride. Although I was well prepared before I went to Williams, Charlie made sure I was ready for the test. He didn't spell out the test, (although he obviously knew what would be asked) however as most of you are aware a good CFI will know the DPE and their test and make sure the applicant is prepared before they sign them off for the checkride.

The DPE did not seem to have any pet peeves with respect to knowledge areas where he would expect you to be the worlds foremost expert on the subject.
He did ask very detailed questions about vario's, and the RASP. The flight covered the usual stuff. The calm air made it easy to fly better than standards. TIP, Practice slips in the ASK21 at altitude, also practice slack line recovery and spot landings.

Williams Soaring is the place to earn an add on rating if your on the west coast.
Old December 15th 14, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"Very smooth air year round". OUCH!

Also a great place for lots of long XC flights along the Mendocino Mountains, up to the Trinity Mountains, and at times down south across the Sacramento Delta, across to the Sierras...

Old December 15th 14, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:13:21 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
"Very smooth air year round". OUCH!

Also a great place for lots of long XC flights along the Mendocino Mountains, up to the Trinity Mountains, and at times down south across the Sacramento Delta, across to the Sierras...

Williams also provides very appreciated tows at Montague Yreka Rorher Field and Siskiyou County Airport

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 15th 14, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, December 15, 2014 5:22:26 AM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:13:21 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
"Very smooth air year round". OUCH!

Also a great place for lots of long XC flights along the Mendocino Mountains, up to the Trinity Mountains, and at times down south across the Sacramento Delta, across to the Sierras...

Williams also provides very appreciated tows at Montague Yreka Rorher Field and Siskiyou County Airport

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

And the air is not smooth year round at Montague either... :-)
Old December 15th 14, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

He says the air is smooth like its a good thing? Spoken like a true power pilot.

Boggs
Old December 15th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Monday, December 15, 2014 2:05:32 PM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
He says the air is smooth like its a good thing? Spoken like a true power pilot.

Boggs

Boggs,

We're supposed to be welcoming people to the gliding community! :-)

Not exactly sure who the OP is, but from one Northwest pilot to another, congratulations and welcome to Washington soaring.

Cheers,
Craig
Old December 16th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound so mean. Welcome to soaring , where we like it rough. The rougher the better. We definitely had some excitement here last Saturday. I'm still not used to thunder storms in the winter...
(But it's not even winter yet.)

Boggs.
At P48
Old December 16th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

http://alturl.com/u9jji

Old December 16th 14, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:36:27 PM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound so mean. Welcome to soaring , where we like it rough. The rougher the better. We definitely had some excitement here last Saturday. I'm still not used to thunder storms in the winter...
(But it's not even winter yet.)

Boggs.
At P48

Made me laugh Gary. I'm sure you were talking about atmospheric turbulence..

Craig
Old December 17th 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Boggs,

Rough thermals/ air sucks for training. However I realize its usually goes hand in hand with strong thermals.

Regarding Williams, other pilots I spoke with said there were excellent soaring conditions a short tow away. Many locals were reporting 3 hour + flights. They have wave too.

Nick