Looking for a source for this rear view mirror

Old March 21st 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

Default Looking for a source for this rear view mirror

Without intending to spark a debate on the pros, cons, and potential hazards of having a rear view mirror in a glider, does anyone know a source for the mirror shown in the attached photo, which I came across on Facebook (no response from the one who posted the photo):

https://www.facebook.com/stefly.aero...53329091436098

Thanks,

Jordan
Old March 21st 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

That specific one?, nope.
I would go to various auto parts places, trailer places, maybe "general consumer stuff" (Walmart, Target, Tractor Supply, etc. in the US or Canada) places and look around.
They are usually inexpensive (a few $US) and can be had in many shapes and sizes.
They may be a mirror replacement, they may also be an addon for trailer towing, etc.
Old March 21st 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 6:43:32 PM UTC, Gianni Isotope wrote:
Without intending to spark a debate on the pros, cons, and potential hazards of having a rear view mirror in a glider, does anyone know a source for the mirror shown in the attached photo, which I came across on Facebook (no response from the one who posted the photo):

https://www.facebook.com/stefly.aero...53329091436098

Thanks,

Jordan

That looks like the standard mirror fitted to the ASH 26e to monitor the prop stop position before retracting. If that is so then it is no good as a wider angle rear view mirror.
Old March 21st 18, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Gianni Isotope wrote on 3/21/2018 11:43 AM:
Without intending to spark a debate on the pros, cons, and potential hazards of having a rear view mirror in a glider, does anyone know a source for the mirror shown in the attached photo, which I came across on Facebook (no response from the one who posted the photo):

https://www.facebook.com/stefly.aero...53329091436098

It's a common mirror found auto parts stores, Walmart, and similar places. I've
bought a few over the years.

Old March 21st 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 18:43 21 March 2018, Gianni Isotope wrote:
Without intending to spark a debate on the pros, cons, and

potential
hazard=
s of having a rear view mirror in a glider, does anyone know a

source for
t=
he mirror shown in the attached photo, which I came across on

Facebook (no
=
response from the one who posted the photo):

https://www.facebook.com/stefly.aero....1153337094768

631/1153329091=
436098

Thanks,

Jordan

I have one that looks like that on my car. I believe I got it from one
of our USA chain auto parts stores (Autozone or Advanced Auto). It
has a wedge shaped plastic base and the mirror is somewhat convex
providing sort of a wide angle field of view. The wedge shape back
allows for sticking it on the corner of the larger side view mirror in
order to cover a blind spot which the OEM mirror fails to cover. Try
Googling "blind spot mirror". Here is the one I'm talking about:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...e-spot-mirror-
cw072/6210197-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=6210197-
P&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwhcjVBRBHEiwAoDe5x9okmWz vCwoW
6ZHxYy3FeuFxcM7v6JRutGxyGxoEcKs9ak_B6YwOgBoC67gQAv D_Bw
E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Warning - whatever you see in this kind of mirror will be a lot closer
that it looks..... I used them for several years in my Discus-b.

RO

Old March 21st 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Warning - whatever you see in this kind of mirror will be a lot closer
that it looks.....

Warning - whatever you see in this mirror is actually behind you ....!!

Sorry Michael - couldn't resist! ;-)

But a serious question: opening the link shows a huge color display on the panel. Anyone ever thought about placing a small automotive-style blue-tooth backup camera into the trailing edge of the rudder like the white Nav.-light and providing a momentary switch on the stick which would display the feed from that camera?
This one is a hard-wired one but ....
https://smile.amazon.com/Parking-Uni...back-up+camera

Uli
'AS'
Old March 22nd 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MN50

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:19:42 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:

Warning - whatever you see in this kind of mirror will be a lot closer
that it looks.....

Warning - whatever you see in this mirror is actually behind you ....!!

Sorry Michael - couldn't resist! ;-)

But a serious question: opening the link shows a huge color display on the panel. Anyone ever thought about placing a small automotive-style blue-tooth backup camera into the trailing edge of the rudder like the white Nav.-light and providing a momentary switch on the stick which would display the feed from that camera?
This one is a hard-wired one but ....
https://smile.amazon.com/Parking-Uni...back-up+camera

Uli
'AS'

Automotive back up cameras are too wide angle to work past about 50 ft. We tried one on our 182 towplane that doesn't have the rear window. The problem is that the cameras have over 150 degrees field of view. For the 200 ft. back to the glider, we used a 90 degree lipstick camera.

The automotive mirrors are too convex and you won't see anything past 100 ft. I used bicycle rear view mirrors that have a very mild convex component to them. I wouldn't see the traffic coming up behind me, but when I'm thermalling and I knew that someone was behind me, I could see the other glider that was in my 4-8 o'clock position.
Old March 22nd 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

After that mirror fell off in my motorglider on one flight I put a spare handheld mirror in the side pocket. This exact one. https://www.bicyclehero.com/us/catey...e-bm-300g.html. Works *great* for what I need, but that's checking the prop.
Old March 25th 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

MN50 wrote on 3/21/2018 7:14 PM:
For the 200 ft. back to the glider, we used a 90 degree lipstick camera.

I need a 70 to 90 degree lipstick camera, but haven't found one. What one do you
have and where did you get it?

Old March 25th 18, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 03/24/2018 08:06 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
MN50 wrote on 3/21/2018 7:14 PM:
Â*For the 200 ft. back to the glider, we used a 90 degree lipstick camera.

I need a 70 to 90 degree lipstick camera, but haven't found one. What
one do you have and where did you get it?

Here's an adapter lens for Mobius Actioncam cameras:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-A2-Mod...wAAOSwQ59ZYzKV

Much of this stuff is sold on eBay, but Amazon has them too.

Mobius cams are nice little matchbook size cams that are easy to mount.

-Dave

de Havilland Humming Bird pics 2 [11/13] - THE D.H.53 Three-quarter rear view.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 10th 17 03:16 PM
Rear-view camera? Bob S Soaring 10 December 11th 13 05:15 PM
Rear View Cameras Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 8 June 12th 09 07:48 PM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of the valley floor from a Tornado rear seat Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 1 January 15th 08 06:24 AM
Historic Bombers Boeing B-52 Stratofortresses Lined up on the Taxiway Rear View.jpg (1/1) J.F. Aviation Photos 0 October 26th 07 01:18 AM