soaring on screen

Old November 24th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring on screen

I have started a webpage that will collect appearances of gliders in TV
programs and movies:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

So far I have five movies on the list, with more to come. I know of the
following:

Escape From New York
Dawn Flight
The Sky Trap
Skyward
The Birdmen
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (music video)
Freefall: Flight 174
The Longest Day
The Boy Who Flew With Condors

I would appreciate pointers to any others you know of.

Johan Larson

Old November 24th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones

On 23 Nov 2006 18:25:00 -0800, wrote:

I have started a webpage that will collect appearances of gliders in TV
programs and movies:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

So far I have five movies on the list, with more to come. I know of the
following:

Escape From New York
Dawn Flight
The Sky Trap
Skyward
The Birdmen
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (music video)
Freefall: Flight 174
The Longest Day
The Boy Who Flew With Condors

I would appreciate pointers to any others you know of.

"A Bridge Too Far" has Horsa mockups, one of which rolls on its own
gear, but no flying examples.

"Saving Private Ryan" has some landed/crashed CG-4A's.

rj
Old November 24th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
I have started a webpage that will collect appearances of gliders in TV
programs and movies:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

There seems to be some misunderstanding. Allow me to clarify.

This is the list of the movies I already have on the site:

The Thomas Crow Affair (Remake)
Saving Private Ryan
Wind
A Bridge Too Far
The Thomas Crown Affair (Original)
The Longest Day

This is the list of movies or TV programs I know of, but don't have
entries for yet:

Escape From New York
Dawn Flight
The Sky Trap
Skyward
The Birdmen
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (music video)
Freefall: Flight 174
The Longest Day
The Boy Who Flew With Condors

If there are any other relevant movies I don't know of yet, please tell
me. (Of course, if you want to volunteer some screenshots, that would
be even better.)

Johan Larson

Old November 24th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Olson

If memory serves me correctly seem to remember an episode
of ' Banacek' (George Peppard in his pre-A team days)
(http://www.tv.com/banacek/show/2927/summary.html)
being launched in a 'rocket powered' Blanik.
Are we including 'made for TV programmes on gliding
-they're are a few of those about' in the UK.

Old November 24th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Birdmen/The Sky Trap/Skyward

My list of films and TV shows in which gliders have appeared has grown
to 14 entries. Thanks to everyone who sent me suggestions.

The three TV movies mentioned in the title appeared in 1971, 1978, and
1980. As far as I can tell none of them made it to DVDs. If you have a
copy of any of them, presumably taped off the air, I would appreciate
hearing from you.

I already have a copy of "The Boy Who Flew With Condors". Now to figure
out how to grab some frames of it for the webpage...

Johan Larson
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

Old November 24th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

wrote:
I have started a webpage that will collect appearances of gliders in TV
programs and movies:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

So far I have five movies on the list, with more to come. I know of the
following:

Escape From New York
Dawn Flight
The Sky Trap
Skyward
The Birdmen
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (music video)
Freefall: Flight 174
The Longest Day
The Boy Who Flew With Condors

I would appreciate pointers to any others you know of.

Johan Larson

I wouldn't ignore commercials either. There is the current Ameriprise
Financial commercial (which ironically portrays the active baby boomer
retirement model) that is getting quite a bit of airtime for several
months. This has some great shots of a DG 1000 (?).

Toyota pickups had a commercial ground launching a glider.

Chip F.

Old November 24th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Re the "BBC Open University 30min Program ("Soaring Achievement")
including footage (should this be 'metreage' in mainland Europe?) of
Ann
Welch":

I have a UK VHS video tape (for my own use!) of most or all of this,
but have no idea how it could be transferred to any useful digital
basis or put on line somewhere. It would in any case be protected by
copyright, I should have thought, though the odd still frame is no
doubt OK. If some UK guru wants to have a go at it, feel free to email
me.

Chris N.

Old November 24th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_7_]

On 24 Nov 2006 07:27:18 -0800, "chipsoars"

[...]

I think that glider is either a DG500 or a DG505. I know,
nit-picking. One way or the other, a lovely ship.

Jim
Old November 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

I seem to recall a show on one of the Discovery Channels (Discovery, TLC,
Wings, etc.) that was about women in soaring. It featured 2 women, one who
I think held/holds the world distance record for a hang-glider and the other
a Soaring Instructor, Cindy Brickner I think. It was an hour long show.

John