OK, why do they cover the prop?

Old February 2nd 04, 02:46 AM
C J Campbell

Default OK, why do they cover the prop?

This month's EAA calendar features an Aeronca Champ on skis. I don't fly
much in weather that is THAT cold, so....

What is with the foxy covers on the prop?

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the animals.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:20 AM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
This month's EAA calendar features an Aeronca Champ on skis. I don't fly
much in weather that is THAT cold, so....

What is with the foxy covers on the prop?

Especially if it's a wood prop, I imagine it's simply to protect the prop
from the weather. Even a metal prop might have to be deiced if you don't
cover it; the cover simply saves some time during preflight.

Pete

Old February 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

What is with the foxy covers on the prop?

The claim is that a prop, particularly a metal one, will pull heat from the engine.
If you are just shutting down for a few hours, prop and engine covers will help
keep the engine warm.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 2nd 04, 03:32 AM
Randy at Home

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| This month's EAA calendar features an Aeronca Champ on skis. I don't fly
| much in weather that is THAT cold, so....
|
| What is with the foxy covers on the prop?
|
| Especially if it's a wood prop, I imagine it's simply to protect the prop
| from the weather. Even a metal prop might have to be deiced if you don't
| cover it; the cover simply saves some time during preflight.

One instructor at the local FBO told me that it was to prevent corrosion
from bird poop from the birds who like sitting on the props.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:15 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

Especially if it's a wood prop, I imagine it's simply to protect the prop
from the weather. Even a metal prop might have to be deiced if you don't
cover it; the cover simply saves some time during preflight.

My prop cover was insulated so it did more than just keep frost from
forming on it.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 2nd 04, 06:03 AM
Dave Stadt

The prop is a huge heat sink that draws heat out of the engine. The covers
are put on to help keep the engine warm during $100 hamburgers in the
winter. This guy also had a small Honda generator running to supply his
Tannis heater. OBTW they were coyote skins not fox. It is not unusual to
see them used up nort in the winter eh.

Old February 2nd 04, 07:05 AM
Peter Duniho

"Dale" wrote in message
My prop cover was insulated so it did more than just keep frost from
forming on it.

How did it do that? Did your prop have an internal heat source? Other than
keeping frost from your prop, what did the insulated cover do?

Pete

Old February 2nd 04, 07:42 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

How did it do that? Did your prop have an internal heat source? Other than
keeping frost from your prop, what did the insulated cover do?

It kept the prop from dissipating the heat applied to the engine by my
pre-heater.

That McCauley was an 82 inch heat-sink.

Old February 2nd 04, 08:24 AM
Peter Duniho

"Dale" wrote in message
It kept the prop from dissipating the heat applied to the engine by my
pre-heater.

Interesting. I didn't realize so much heat could be transferred through the
crankshaft. I guess it makes sense though...the prop does have a lot of
surface area, so heat flow is easy to have.

On the bright side, with the engine pre-heater pumping heat through the
prop, you didn't have to worry about frost.

Pete

Old February 2nd 04, 11:07 AM
Cub Driver

What is with the foxy covers on the prop?

Wood prop?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 11:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
This week's AW&ST: apparently THAAD will have some ABM (as in anti- *ICBM*) capability. Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 29 August 31st 04 04:20 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 7th 03 12:43 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM